From 96-Present, Only Thing Lacking From Coaching Changes In Atlanta Is Super Bowl Victory

Miller2Rison

take a moment to ponder and look back

1997-2003 June Jones to Dan Reeves;

The Dan Reeves era had us with a Super Bowl appearance and also making history with being the first team to beat Green Bay at Lambeau in the playoffs.

2004-2007 Dan Reeves to Jim Mora Jr.

Had us in 2004 with one of the best defenses in the league and an NFC Championship appearance

2007-Petrino/Vick fiasco

2008-Present Mike Smith

First ever back to back winning seasons, 5 winning seasons in a row, and an NFC Championship appearance ending 10 yards away from a Super Bowl.

I think if i was wanting a HC job Atlanta would be the top of my list bc from 1996-Present the one thing lacking is a Super Bowl Championship.

Nice fantasy. The reality is no head coach is going to want to come to Atlanta and deal with Blank constantly breathing down his neck.

I really wish Blank would stop coming down to the sidelines during the games. It puts the team under even more pressure to perform and it's just not necessary. Why in the heIl can't he wait and go down to the locker room after the game like most other team owners. The Patriots have been the model franchise for over a decade now and Robert Kraft doesn't come down to the field during games. He stays his butt in his owner's box where he belongs.

I would sort of think the exact opposite.

Since 1996 the falcons are 159 wins versus 147 losses and 1 tie.

The franchise in and of itself is average at best. When looking at the last 18 years it is painfully obvious that nothing about the falcons history would sway a new prospective HC to jump on the chance to coach here.

Now,

From 2008 to this year the history rings much better though.

64 wins versus 38 losses

4 play off trips and 5 straight winning seasons from 2008 to to 2012

Even if the facons lose out the rest of this year "2014" the overall record would be 64-43 since 2008. Not the best by far but surely a winning average non the less.

Between 1996 and 2001 this franchise had only one winning season and that was a trip to the super bowl in 1998. One winning season in 6 seasons! ouch~

The best defense and offense over all we have had in this same time span was the 1998 team. 4th on over all defense and offense if I am not mistaken.

After reflecting a bit, was it not in 2012 that turner started slowing down? "next year we lost ovie?" and the loss of our running game can in every way be linked to the decline in the win loss ratio since Turner was no longer effective. Jackson was nothing more than a wish and prayer that back fired.. And we can not seem to focus on one single back to take the majority of the snaps.. argh

If I "were, and I realise I am not nor will I ever be" a head coach looking for a job, I would see atlanta as a very good place to land a gig but not in reflection to 1996 to the present but more so 2008 to present.. But I am pretty sure and HC prospect would be looking more so at the current issues than any past ones..

Edited by Goal2Go

I really wish Blank would stop coming down to the sidelines during the games. It puts the team under even more pressure to perform and it's just not necessary. Why in the heIl can't he wait and go down to the locker room after the game like most other team owners. The Patriots have been the model franchise for over a decade now and Robert Kraft doesn't come down to the field during games. He stays his butt in his owner's box where he belongs.

b9NqTvt.jpg

I mean, who doesn't love their boss standing over their shoulder watching everything they do?

I truely feel as if Smith has won dispite himself a lot since he arrived here. Now when the talent requires him to win on decisions it's just not there. So many close victories in the last 6 seasons it's scary. only a handfull of blowout wins since 2008. Since the running game vanished the once "close win norm" has vanished and now its the opposite.

Would a new coach be able to change things? more than likely.. a new fresh look never hurt anything.. The only question is does it take removing more than just the coach at this point?

thats an interesting thought i didnt ponder, kind of jerry jonesish but what i have noticed with jerry is he has been keepin his azz in his press box lately and the cowboys have had more success, maybe blank is smitty's problem?

I don't remember Jones ever being on the sideline. Blank's the only owner I know of that does it. Could be wrong.

But, yeah, Blank is a significant problem. If you'd like to know just how much...

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4017529-a-dozen-reasons-any-gm-or-head-coach-would-be-thrilled-to-work-for-arthur-blank/

cooper has raised an interesting point on Blank standing over Smitty's shoulder and possibly causing the blunders and maybe this has something to do with Smitty losing the fire he once had.

I'm not saying it's that alone. Blank meddles in many other ways that are much more detrimental. I'm sure it doesn't help, though.

I truely feel as if Smith has won dispite himself a lot since he arrived here. Now when the talent requires him to win on decisions it's just not there. So many close victories in the last 6 seasons it's scary. only a handfull of blowout wins since 2008. Since the running game vanished the once "close win norm" has vanished and now its the opposite.

Would a new coach be able to change things? more than likely.. a new fresh look never hurt anything.. The only question is does it take removing more than just the coach at this point?

It does. Unfortunately, you can't remove an owner.

OK, I'll stop now.

I really don't think Jones has backed off, the only thing that's happened is the Cowboys are winning so the constant attention isn't there about the owner and him being "in the way" thing is easily forgotten.

Let's not act like Blank just started coming on to the field recently, he's been doing it for a long while.

It does. Unfortunately, you can't remove an owner.

OK, I'll stop now.

I feel ya there in regards to blank. I believe he is the best owner the franchise has ever had but there is something about his direct presence that is quirky. I normally write it off to his passion for the game. It's not like he is barking orders at smith and company while he is gangstering the sidelines late in games. I would not go as far as to call for his head though. **** based on money alone he has given his very soul to this effort.

Edited by Goal2Go

You may be right, but I get why he comes down to the field. Under all the facade, he is a true NFL fan. That may be the trouble. He is way too emotionally charged.

The trouble with Blank is that he affects personnel decisions too much. I get the feeling that both Smitty and Tommy have had to knuckle under to his requests more than a few times.

nope . Smitty is an average at best coach . You know I've heard excuses for this guy since the first playoff loss he had against Ariz. It's kinda funny how the excuse machine is now reaching. 8 years ....

I appreciate as a fan what Mike Smith has done for the Falcons since becoming the HC, but I have to be honest and not just a homer, at this point in time I don't consider him AVERAGE, I consider him BELOW AVERAGE as a HC based on the numerous games the Falcons have had the lead in over the years only to lose in the second half at the end of the game.

I used to wonder the first few years since Mike Smith became HC for the Falcons why they done so good getting a lead going into halftime only to score NOTHING at all in the 3rd QTR, at first I thought maybe it's just the other teams defense making adjustments preventing the Falcons offense from scoring a lot of points in the 3rd QTR. In recent years I have come to realize that it was all Mike Smith getting a lead and trying to run out a whole second half worth of clock time trying to play it safe with the lead rather than putting the other team away.

Falcons need to play every QTR as though they are always behind and it's the 4th QTR. What gets me is the Falcons will go into the hurry up offense and it's working great, then all the sudden it disappears and you don't see the hurry up until the last couple minutes of the game. It's like the Falcons have been sent a message when the hurry up offense is called like : "Okay we need to get something done and right now" but when it's taken off it's like they are getting a message of something like : "It's okay, just relax now, we got the lead"........ A sense of urgency needs to be put in the mind of every player taking the field at all times on every down, offense and defense. I honestly haven't seen that with this Falcons team or any other since Mike Smith has been the HC for the Falcons.

I dunno, I would be shocked even if the Falcons win the division and make the playoffs if Mike Smith is still the HC next season. Like I said, I appreciate what Mike Smith has done for the Falcons since becoming the HC I just think it's time to move on to a coach who doesn't try and play it safe at times. Too predictable. JMO.........

I would sort of think the exact opposite.

Since 1996 the falcons are 159 wins versus 147 losses and 1 tie.

The franchise in and of itself is average at best. When looking at the last 18 years it is painfully obvious that nothing about the falcons history would sway a new prospective HC to jump on the chance to coach here.

Now,

From 2008 to this year the history rings much better though.

64 wins versus 38 losses

4 play off trips and 5 straight winning seasons from 2008 to to 2012

Even if the facons lose out the rest of this year "2014" the overall record would be 64-43 since 2008. Not the best by far but surely a winning average non the less.

Between 1996 and 2001 this franchise had only one winning season and that was a trip to the super bowl in 1998. One winning season in 6 seasons! ouch~

The best defense and offense over all we have had in this same time span was the 1998 team. 4th on over all defense and offense if I am not mistaken.

After reflecting a bit, was it not in 2012 that turner started slowing down? "next year we lost ovie?" and the loss of our running game can in every way be linked to the decline in the win loss ratio since Turner was no longer effective. Jackson was nothing more than a wish and prayer that back fired.. And we can not seem to focus on one single back to take the majority of the snaps.. argh

If I "were, and I realise I am not nor will I ever be" a head coach looking for a job, I would see atlanta as a very good place to land a gig but not in reflection to 1996 to the present but more so 2008 to present.. But I am pretty sure and HC prospect would be looking more so at the current issues than any past ones..

The Falcons lost Ovie in 2011 against the Lions.

b9NqTvt.jpg

I mean, who doesn't love their boss standing over their shoulder watching everything they do?

Exactly. Who performs well under that kind of pressure? I surely don't. When I'm at work and my boss needs to get something from me or talk to me and she stands over my shoulder while I'm helping a member I always, ALWAYS, get nervous and almost screw up.

I really don't think Jones has backed off, the only thing that's happened is the Cowboys are winning so the constant attention isn't there about the owner and him being "in the way" thing is easily forgotten.

Let's not act like Blank just started coming on to the field recently, he's been doing it for a long while.

I have always hated it. Jerry has backed off a little bit. He's not on the field during games nearly as much as he used to be. He used to do it every game. The last time I saw him do it was the MNF game when Tony Romo got hurt and he went to the locker room to get some info on him and then went and told Jason Garrett.

lol. Excuse machine even runs on Thanksgiving ...

Dude are you serious? I've been calling for Smitty's head since the playoff embarrassment against the Giants in 2011. But that doesn't make me blind to the truth. Everyone I know sees their performance suffer when their boss is standing behind them over their shoulder judging their work. It's called being human.

I don't remember Jones ever being on the sideline. Blank's the only owner I know of that does it. Could be wrong.

But, yeah, Blank is a significant problem. If you'd like to know just how much...

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4017529-a-dozen-reasons-any-gm-or-head-coach-would-be-thrilled-to-work-for-arthur-blank/

jerry-jones-jason-garrett.png

This clown was talking to Garrett during the game. Blank is fine

Edited by Xfactor

jerry-jones-jason-garrett.png

This clown was talking to Garrett during the game. Blank is fine

Like I said, I could be wrong about Jones.

As for Blank, he has not only talked to coaches during the game (to tell Mora they had backed into the playoffs), he has broken up fights between them. Blank is anything but fine.