Tablets. Worth It Or Nah?

WOR

Everyone and their brother has a tablet these days. I do not. But I do have a phablet that I love.

The black friday tablet deals are ridiculous and I was wondering if they're a worthwhile investment? Do they really fill a need in the space between Phone and Laptop?

Theres also a 50 inch samsung TV at Amazon for 200 bucks....so Im pretty sure thats gonna win out lol

I got my girl the Samsung Galaxy Tab S. It's the first tablet we've had since the original iPad, so I was very impressed at how fast and lightweight it is. Works great for web-browsing and most light computing, or casting movies/music. Haven't seen her use her laptop for anything since.

Might have to look up that TV deal you mentioned. I'm in the market for one right now.

I shopped hard for 1 last year and after not finding a deal that I really liked a new all-in-one desktop won out.

The most useless thing to me would be the small tablets like a 7 inch tablet.....If I were going to own one I would want it to be way bigger than my phone.

Edited by Flip Wilson

iPads>>>>>>> all other tablets, but I still think tablets are luxury items. I do not think they are necessary or fill a need. I do think they can be great media consumption devices. That is kinda where mine has filled in. I use it to read ebooks, watch movies, and web browsing when I am on the couch, but it did sit on my shelf for a while after I got it , because I could not find a use for it. I think this is gonna be even more true, since you mentioned that you have a phablet.

I got my girl the Samsung Galaxy Tab S. It's the first tablet we've had since the original iPad, so I was very impressed at how fast and lightweight it is. Works great for web-browsing and most light computing, or casting movies/music. Haven't seen her use her laptop for anything since.

Might have to look up that TV deal you mentioned. I'm in the market for one right now.

I just did my research. Its a 50 inch Toshiba on Amazon. However there is no news as to when it will be posted on the website, which is a royal pain in the A.

Best Buy is doing a 50 inch panasonic as well, but you have to go to the stores.

I just did my research. Its a 50 inch Toshiba on Amazon. However there is no news as to when it will be posted on the website, which is a royal pain in the A.

Best Buy is doing a 50 inch panasonic as well, but you have to go to the stores.

Toshibas are great quality but parts are really high if they have to be replaced. They will tell you with LED/LCD that you might as well buy a new one as opposed to having them repaired.

I own a Toshiba DLP and a Toshiba laptop.

Thinking about going UHD myself, I am seeing prices sliced in half at Amazon and HHGregg. Only thing is they are 60 Hz.

^^^ Apple Fanboy Status Confirmed (not that it needed to be confirmed)

LOL. I am an apple fanboy, but that does not change the facts. I am also not the type to bash other platforms(unlike some android fanboys on this site) and I do not let it affect my advice when others are looking for tech.

The iPad is the superior tablet. It is not even close. I am not the only one that says so. Look at any tech blog and they will state the same thing. The verge just updated their This is my next: tablet edition and the iPad air 2 and iPad mini 2 took the top two spots, because they have superior app selections.

Android may be a great OS on phones, but it is piss poor on tablets and most apps are just blown up phone apps, instead of being optimized to take use of the extra screen real estate. Go read the reviews of the Nexus 9.

If I am paying 400-500+ on a tablet, then I am gonna want the best at that price and that is the iPad.

Lack of tablet-optimized apps is one thing, but as far as hardware capabilities/specs and price? I don't see how iPads are any better.

Lack of tablet-optimized apps is the man thing. specs mean nothing if you do not have apps to use them. If blackberry came out with a phone with 4GBs of Ram, 4k display, and a 12 core processor phone for 400 off contract and free on contract, would you recommend it or buy it for yourself?

Not only that, but specs do not mean the same thing, because they run different OSs. Some OSs are just more optimized and can run on less hardware better than others that need that larger processing power or ram. My favorite linux OS(CrunchBang Linux) can run on machines with less than 512Ms of ram with little problems. That is definitely not true on Windows 8 or OSX.

I've always assumed that you're paying for the logo on the back. That goes for the vast majority of Apple products.

apple does love its margins, but the iPads are pretty competitively price. It is usually that a lot of cheaper tablets have deep discounts when they are going out of stock, which apple does not allow those deep discounts. Look at the MSRP of some samsung tablets MSRP compared to the iPad and they are not much different.

Also the saying " you get what you pay for" comes to mind when dealing with technology, but this is a little off topic.

iPads>>>>>>> all other tablets, but I still think tablets are luxury items. I do not think they are necessary or fill a need. I do think they can be great media consumption devices. That is kinda where mine has filled in. I use it to read ebooks, watch movies, and web browsing when I am on the couch...

I'm on my second iPad now and I agree with this. The iPads are expensive toys...fun, but not necessary. If you're wanting something for reading ebooks, streaming Hulu/Netflix, and the occasional lightweight app, the Kindle Fire and some of the Samsung tables in the $200 range are great.

On the other hand, if you have a newer iPhone, the iPad's can now be used to answer your phone calls if your phone is in the other room. So there's that.

LOL. I am an apple fanboy, but that does not change the facts. I am also not the type to bash other platforms(unlike some android fanboys on this site) and I do not let it affect my advice when others are looking for tech.

The iPad is the superior tablet. It is not even close. I am not the only one that says so. Look at any tech blog and they will state the same thing. The verge just updated their This is my next: tablet edition and the iPad air 2 and iPad mini 2 took the top two spots, because they have superior app selections.

Android may be a great OS on phones, but it is piss poor on tablets and most apps are just blown up phone apps, instead of being optimized to take use of the extra screen real estate. Go read the reviews of the Nexus 9.

If I am paying 400-500+ on a tablet, then I am gonna want the best at that price and that is the iPad.

But it still runs iOS... Superior build quality with an inferior operating system. Should they ever make it more like OSX, then I would be on board with your assessment. I've been using both the iPhone and iPad air, and while they are solid for the basic operations, iOS is too limited for advanced operation. I can't justify paying double the amount of money for something less powerful than products half of their price. I'm not an android fanboy, I'm a technology fanboy. Android just happens to be the most useful for me atm. Before that it was Blackberry and Palm. I use windows and linux (which is pretty much what android is based on), as well.

It's all personal preference, though. Some people like being inside an ecosystem, some don't. To each their own.

But it still runs iOS... Superior build quality with an inferior operating system. Should they ever make it more like OSX, then I would be on board with your assessment. I've been using both the iPhone and iPad air, and while they are solid for the basic operations, iOS is too limited for advanced operation. I can't justify paying double the amount of money for something less powerful than products half of their price. I'm not an android fanboy, I'm a technology fanboy. Android just happens to be the most useful for me atm. Before that it was Blackberry and Palm. I use windows and linux (which is pretty much what android is based on), as well.

It's all personal preference, though. Some people like being inside an ecosystem, some don't. To each their own.

What advanced operations are you referring to? Also double the money? the MSRP on the galaxy tab note 10.1 is the same starting price as the iPad air 2. If you want to have a credible discussion, lets toss the buzz words and discuss tangible features. If you only feature that makes an OS qualify as having "advanced operations" is a file system, then you are going to sound like a fanboy.

I may think the iPad is the best tablet on the market, but I still think they are a luxury and that the OP should go with the TV set. I know plenty of people that have switched to android and will never go back to iPhone, but love their iPads and have told me the android alternative has not stacked up.

I'm on my second iPad now and I agree with this. The iPads are expensive toys...fun, but not necessary. If you're wanting something for reading ebooks, streaming Hulu/Netflix, and the occasional lightweight app, the Kindle Fire and some of the Samsung tables in the $200 range are great.

On the other hand, if you have a newer iPhone, the iPad's can now be used to answer your phone calls if your phone is in the other room. So there's that.

If you have one of the newer iPhones, I believe you get handoff, but most iPhones will allow you to have other features in continuity like the ability to take calls on your iPad or macbook or send texts from both. I agree with this. If you are just gonna use Chrome, Kindle, and Netflix/Hulu, then a Fire or 200 dollar android tablet should be fine for your use.

If you have one of the newer iPhones, I believe you get handoff, but most iPhones will allow you to have other features in continuity like the ability to take calls on your iPad or macbook or send texts from both. I agree with this. If you are just gonna use Chrome, Kindle, and Netflix/Hulu, then a Fire or 200 dollar android tablet should be fine for your use.

Jus to clarify that when I said "newer", I really meant new enough to credibly run IOS 8. I just upgraded from a 4s to the 6, and there was no way that I was going to put IOS 8 on my old 4s.

I rarely use ours because I develop docs and other stuff when on the computer. It's all my wife and kids use though. There are a lot of educational games on them that are perfect for kids. My wife uses it for browsing, shopping, reading, and whatever other apps. It really depends on what you want it for. They are 100X better than laptops for the things my wife and kids do. Laptops are 100X better for the things I do.

Was considering getting a new iPad before my 6 plus arrived and this thing has taken that want away.

One thing I never understood is android users need to constantly bash Apple and the people who choose their devices.

Plenty of room for everyone to get what they want.

Lol at android bashers. It goes both ways....

But making fun of someone for chilling outside a store for 24 hours for a phone is warranted haha

Lol at android bashers. It goes both ways....

But making fun of someone for chilling outside a store for 24 hours for a phone is warranted haha

On this site you will only see android bashers. I am probably the biggest apple fanboy on this site, but I will always be objective in my advice and see no need to bash others for liking something different than me.

If people want to wait outside, then let them. I think it is more about the experience of being a day 1 owner at an apple store than anything else. I got my 3gs day one and waited maybe 10mins before opening and was 4-5th in line at my att store. That Att store outside of lenox was pretty empty, but the apple store had a line of about 100 people. I never understood the whole waiting in line thing, but I am not going to knock someone for doing it. I see it as being the same as people who wait for the latest pair of sneakers or concert tickets.

Can't buy until May... These tears bros sad.png

By then they might already have the iPad Air 3 and Mini 4 out or even the iPad Pro. I am waiting on the iPad Pro to see if it adds more functionality. I know that multi window is going to be coming out, since multiple sources have said that the functionality is in the source code already. Maybe see more of a merger of the OSX and iOS.

By then they might already have the iPad Air 3 and Mini 4 out or even the iPad Pro. I am waiting on the iPad Pro to see if it adds more functionality. I know that multi window is going to be coming out, since multiple sources have said that the functionality is in the source code already. Maybe see more of a merger of the OSX and iOS.

Probably not. They only did a spring launch for an iPad once, but all of the others have come in September and October. The iPad Pro might come out in the Spring with a silent update on the others, though. I doubt there will be a different form factor until fall 2015, and even then I'm not expecting a huge update.