Protective Padding Should Aid William Moore's Return From Shoulder Separation

theProf

Protective padding should aid William Moore's return from shoulder separation

By Vaughn McClure | ESPN.com

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons strong safety William Moore fully expects to return to the field Sunday from a shoulder separation and will take all the necessary precautions to do so.

Moore separated his right shoulder in a Week 4 loss at Minnesota and was placed on injured reserve with a designation to return. He is eligible to play this week against Arizona and anticipates being activated before game time. Moore will test the shoulder in pads during practice, and he'll wear protecting padding to support the shoulder in the game, provided he receives full clearance.

"It's a pad in my shoulder pads to keep it from extending,'' Moore explained. "It's not all the way around. It's just so it doesn't extend up. I wore it all [last] week. I don't think it's going to have much effect on my game. But me personally, I don't care what I wear.

"I just have to watch how I land more than anything; not how I hit, but how I land.''

Moore doesn't seem overly concerned about his conditioning despite missing the required eight weeks of action while on short-term IR. He returned to practice last week and ran with the scout team. He'll return to the starting lineup alongside free safety Dwight Lowery.

"Personally and individually, I feel like I need to get in there and contribute,'' Moore said. "Missed a lot of time, and it's going to be very important for me to make sure that I tackle well and I know my assignments. Got a huge task against myself.''

Moore's expected return means Kemal Ishmael, who has started the last seven games, would move back to a reserve role. Ishmael has a team-leading four interceptions, including one in each of the last three games. Moore previously said it would be hard to keep Ishmael off the field.

"That's part of being professional and being mature,'' Ishmael said of surrendering his starting spot back to Moore. "I tried to do as much as I could to help the team while I was out there. With Willy Mo coming back, he's our leader. I'm just going to sit back and just enroll in my new role on the team.

"It sucks, because I want to be out there continuing to play and make plays. But that's my role. That's Willy Mo, now. It's not just anybody.''

Once Moore is activated, the Falcons have to make a roster move to be at the 53-man limit.

It sucks we don't have that kind of depth in other spots (LB, DE)

The Falcons are deeper at Safety than many thought with the emergence of Ishmael and a developing Southward. Ish was one of the few bright spots on Defense, and it's a shame that he will lose his starting position upon Moore's return. The LB and DE positions are a completely different story, as the current starters are well below average with very little depth behind them.

The Falcons are deeper at Safety than many thought with the emergence of Ishmael and a developing Southward. Ish was one of the few bright spots on Defense, and it's a shame that he will lose his starting position upon Moore's return. The LB and DE positions are a completely different story, as the current starters are well below average with very little depth behind them.

Not to mention Lowery... we look **** good at safety. Now if we could just find a ******* front 7 to save our lives beyond DTs.

we run a bunch of 3 safety packages, he will be on the field. I'd be happy if we didn't have to worry about safety for one offseason.