Randy Cross Said Fans/the City Part Of The Blame Because They Settle For Mediocrity!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The true problem with our fans is that they don't know their azzes from a hole in the ground when it comes to

football. The true problem with our team is we have an owner who listens to them.

Yeah because fans of other teams could slide in and coach at the nfl level due to their superior knowledge. Please stop posting cupcake you are really embarrassing yourself tonight.

And he was 100% correct in his assessment. Ive been saying this for the longest. Not just with the Falcons, but with all Atlanta teams. You might want to throw UGA and Right in there too. The sports talk media and the AJC are culpable to. They gave this regime a pass when real diehard fans were calling B.S. the last two years.

And now all you hear is that we are in the drivers seat in the NFC South. WTH!! This team is a train wreck going nowhere fast. The way this team plays and the coaches coach, we will get embarrassed on national TV in the first round. But everyone will say, "well at least we made it to the playoffs". Albeit at 6-10. I wouldn't even call that mediocrity. As long as we settle for this crap, they will keep feeding it to us.

I agree too. There was just a guy here this week that started a thread stating that wanting Smith to be fired was basically "Stabbing him in the back." The notion that we have to keep a guy that can't get it done b/c we don't know of anyone better is settling for mediocrity in my book.

We don't show up, we suck because we're fair weather fans.

We do show up, we suck because we accept mediocrity.

What are we supposed to do, burn down Flowery Branch? Hold the staff of a local Home Depot hostage until blank gives in?

I don't buy this crap. Atlanta fans are no different than fans in the rest of the country with the exception that we have more transplants who refuse to give up their old allegiances. Maybe it's just an average sports radio host dragging out a tired old topic because he lacks the imagination to come up with something new

Maybe you guys can give me some insight on this topic because I live in Toronto. I know in some cities like New York, Buffalo & Philly (for example) fans are on the radio absolutely losing their minds and voicing their displeasure wuh the team and ownership (when applicable). The only exposure I get to Atlanta sports is this forum. I've seen Phillips Arena empty for Hawks games but I don't know if that's fans saying "enough is enough". I've heard fans on the radio (790 iPhone app) upset about decisions the Falcons FO have made and how the team has played. Is it that Cross is saying that Atlanta sports fans don't take their displeasure to the same levels as cities like New York & Philly?? I'm just asking

And he was 100% correct in his assessment. Ive been saying this for the longest. Not just with the Falcons, but with all Atlanta teams. You might want to throw UGA and Right in there too. The sports talk media and the AJC are culpable to. They gave this regime a pass when real diehard fans were calling B.S. the last two years.

And now all you hear is that we are in the drivers seat in the NFC South. WTH!! This team is a train wreck going nowhere fast. The way this team plays and the coaches coach, we will get embarrassed on national TV in the first round. But everyone will say, "well at least we made it to the playoffs". Albeit at 6-10. I wouldn't even call that mediocrity. As long as we settle for this crap, they will keep feeding it to us.

This is really idiotic. The fans can whine and "not accept mediocrity" as much as they want, but the bottom line is that they have zero influence on how a team runs.

And seriously, are we going to take the advice of a fanbase that chanted "WE WANT VICK" after he destroyed the franchise and came back with the Eagles? If you listen to those people, you get what you deserve.

This is really idiotic. The fans can whine and "not accept mediocrity" as much as they want, but the bottom line is that they have zero influence on how a team runs.

And seriously, are we going to take the advice of a fanbase that chanted "WE WANT VICK" after he destroyed the franchise and came back with the Eagles? If you listen to those people, you get what you deserve.

i KNEW what you was all about when you popped into my thread and you proved it............

georgia teams rather lose with CHUMPS with "character", than to get the best player available. the media supports this EXCUSE....i remember when barry bonds WANTED to play with the braves...........but the braves said his character didnt fit them.........

Edited by atlbenz

georgia teams rather lose with CHUMPS with "character", than to get the best player available. the media supports this EXCUSE....i remember when barry bonds WANTED to play with the braves...........but the braves said his character didnt fit them.........

I bet you liked USC winning with Bush and then getting titles stripped. Are you a fan of Lance Armstrong or the East German Olympic Team? Perhaps Florence Griffith Joiner and Balco?

I like winning, but I hated being embarrassed by Vick and Eugene Robinson before him, a lot more than losing a few regular football games.

They dont settle for mediocrity in Gerogia...

1) They do not show-up to games...

2) A lot of seats are empty, or purchased to avoid a black-out..

3) There is rarely any crowd noise for any franchice, or college + plus a lack of confidence...

Cross is a San Fran man, and doesn't really seem to pay attention to the empty seats, and other fans...

Maybe you guys can give me some insight on this topic because I live in Toronto. I know in some cities like New York, Buffalo & Philly (for example) fans are on the radio absolutely losing their minds and voicing their displeasure wuh the team and ownership (when applicable). The only exposure I get to Atlanta sports is this forum. I've seen Phillips Arena empty for Hawks games but I don't know if that's fans saying "enough is enough". I've heard fans on the radio (790 iPhone app) upset about decisions the Falcons FO have made and how the team has played. Is it that Cross is saying that Atlanta sports fans don't take their displeasure to the same levels as cities like New York & Philly?? I'm just asking

To be honest, he was talking about how fans are good with just being OK. The local sports media is who I have issues with. They refuse to call a spade a spade. When the fans were voicing there displeasure last season, the local media was slow to the party. Our beat writer is a yes man. So is Dave Archer. Those post game press conferences are useless because of the softball questions being asked. No one is ever critical of Matt Ryan. Its always someone else's fault when he under performs. Just listening to sports talk makes me sick. Edited by rollo lawson

The way I see it is that our fan base is what it is at this point. I mean, Atlanta is a victim of its own success. We are a city of transplants and therefore have very little civic pride which ultimately translates to our sports teams. This has been happening for over 20 years. We as Falcons Fans know who we are, however ambiguous it may seem to many. But I am sick and tired of folks here and abroad bashing us. Let us deal with our Falcon family. Just leave us the foke alone!!!!

At what point have the Atlanta fans accepted mediocrity? When I hear a coach and a team getting booed, then I'm thinking that is not acceptance. The fans, don't draft the players, pick the coaches or the owners. The fans only show support by showing up, and it's not like there has been overwhelming support in that area either.

But everyone will say, "well at least we made it to the playoffs". Everyone? I think maybe a small percentage might, but overall, anybody with a brain knows what is going on.

To blame fans of a team for not doing something meaningful in the teams 40+ years of existence, is like blaming the passengers on a train for the train going off the tracks. STUPID.

totally agree.

Is it the Atlanta fans fault that the Clampetts(Smith Family) incompetantly ran the Falcons franchise for FOUR DECADES?

Is it the Atlanta fans fault that Michael Vick is a dog killer?

Is it the Atlanta fans fault that our SuperBowl Starting free safety wanted to get a Hum Job 8hours before the big game?

Is it the Atlanta fans fault that Ted Turner sold the Braves to a faceless media company who only cares a out keeping payroll low?

Is it the Atlanta fans fault that Frank Wren gave out a quad of awful contracts to pathetic players in Keshin Kawakami, Derek Lowe, Dan Uggla & BJ Upton?

Is it the Atlanta fans fault that the Braves staked Denny Neagle to a 6-1 lead in game#3 of the World Series w/ Yankees when we were already up two games to none and then the Braves never won another game?

Is it the Atlanta fans fault that the Hawks idiot GM took Marvin Williams over Chris Paul?

If "Fair weather" equals "settle for mediocrity," he is 100% correct. We have to remember the passion (positive and negative) shown on this board is not representative of the overall Atlanta fan base, or even the core Falcons fan base. There are many in Atlanta who will tell you they are Falcons fans, but they are totally content to enjoy the highs and ignore the lows. Then you have the Atlanta sports fan base overall. Atlanta is an "entertain" me city. It flocks to whatever is hot. It is more about entertainment than sports.

As we saw with the Braves in the 90's, even consistent winning won't keep this city's interest. It becomes normal, and therefore boring, after a while.

The best way to generate fan frenzy for the new stadium in 2017 is to suck wind until 2016. At that point, let the contract drive (PSL/STH) begin.

If "Fair weather" equals "settle for mediocrity," he is 100% correct. We have to remember the passion (positive and negative) shown on this board is not representative of the overall Atlanta fan base, or even the core Falcons fan base. There are many in Atlanta who will tell you they are Falcons fans, but they are totally content to enjoy the highs and ignore the lows. Then you have the Atlanta sports fan base overall. Atlanta is an "entertain" me city. It flocks to whatever is hot. It is more about entertainment than sports. As we saw with the Braves in the 90's, even consistent winning won't keep this city's interest. It becomes normal, and therefore boring, after a while. The best way to generate fan frenzy for the new stadium in 2017 is to suck wind until 2016. At that point, let the contract drive (PSL/STH) begin.

I agree for the most part, but Braves attendance in the 90's was way above the league average. It wasn't until repeated playoff futility that fans (myself included) started getting apathetic. That occurred in the early 2000's, not the 90's. By 2004, we couldn't even sell out a home playoff game against the Cubs.

Fans in this city are fickle, but they are smarter than often given credit for. They will show up for a team they think is a true championship contender, not so much when it becomes apparent a team is going nowhere, even despite winning.