Randy Cross Said Fans/the City Part Of The Blame Because They Settle For Mediocrity!

rollo lawson

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is ridiculous to say that fans "accept mediocrity". What exactly are fans supposed to do - turn up at the GA Dome or at people's houses with pitchforks and flaming torches? The 9ers haven't won a SB for nearly 20 years and were bottom feeders for much of that time - does Cross think that is because they suddenly started accepting mediocrity in 1995/6?

If anything, most sports fans are totally the other way. They demand instant success irrespective of the fact the only one team can win a champiosnhip every year, and demand that any GM or HC who doesn't deliver that success within 2-3 years of gets fired. The same goes for any draft pick who isn't playing at a pro-bowl level within 1 or 2 years of entering the league. Demanding instant success and cleansing house every 2-3 years (or move often than that) doesn't bring success. Building a championship team is difficult, there will be ups and down and it takes time and patience.

As an owner on the NFL, you need to find the right balance. Continuity and stability are most conducive for success, but then you don't want to stick with people who are not capable of getting you to the top. It can be difficult to know when to be patient and trust the people you have (especially if they have had the success we did from 2008-12), and when to cut ties and start again.

I think there are 3 kinds of fans:

1) Those who will always be fans and excited no matter what is happening with the team.

2) Those who will be excited and enjoy a team that has hope and is fun to watch.

3) Those who think everything is a failure unless you win a Lombardi.

I don't think the fact that this team isn't supported by a large group of #3's is a factor in any way, shape or form. This isn't some social issue like child abuse, dog fighting or DUI's. This is an on the field production issue, and if anyone thinks the front office should give the fans a vote in that then they are seriously delusional. The only way ownership will step in is when the image of the team gets trashed (see social issues), or the team is so bad they start taking a hit in the wallet. Neither is the case with the Falcons.

Also, accepting mediocrity as a fanbase? You have to be kidding me. Some people just don't take it personally when a team they watch once a week doesn't achieve league dominating success. I would love for them to be more competitive, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it if they don't crush another team every Sunday. There are such a thing as heartbreaking losses and painful seasons, and you should get emotionally involved as a fan, but if you have such emotion that you are having your life effected, get a new hobby.

So first they say Atlanta fans are horrible because we only show up and support the teams when they are winning. And now we are horrible because we accept mediocrity from our teams? Don't those two things contradict each other? IJS.

Yup, the only thing the fans can really control is that with which they vote with their feet. Even then it is very little control.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess. The problem is that the narrative of the bad Atlanta sports fan has been written for a very long time, and only now are the talking heads finding new ways to incorporate that narrative. If fans in Green Bay stopped going to games because the team sucked, they would not be ripped for it.

I think there are 3 kinds of fans:

1) Those who will always be fans and excited no matter what is happening with the team.

2) Those who will be excited and enjoy a team that has hope and is fun to watch.

3) Those who think everything is a failure unless you win a Lombardi.

I don't think the fact that this team isn't supported by a large group of #3's is a factor in any way, shape or form. This isn't some social issue like child abuse, dog fighting or DUI's. This is an on the field production issue, and if anyone thinks the front office should give the fans a vote in that then they are seriously delusional. The only way ownership will step in is when the image of the team gets trashed (see social issues), or the team is so bad they start taking a hit in the wallet. Neither is the case with the Falcons.

Also, accepting mediocrity as a fanbase? You have to be kidding me. Some people just don't take it personally when a team they watch once a week doesn't achieve league dominating success. I would love for them to be more competitive, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it if they don't crush another team every Sunday. There are such a thing as heartbreaking losses and painful seasons, and you should get emotionally involved as a fan, but if you have such emotion that you are having your life effected, get a new hobby.

Everybody knows I want a Lombardi, but after six years of Smittyball, I'd settle for having a fun team to watch for at least a couple of years before I would ask for anything more. Blank has to hire somebody with the type of personality and background that will put some fun and excitement back into watching Falcons football again. Somebody who will take risks and play to win rather than puzzy-footing around trying not to lose. Contemplating even five more games of Smittyball makes me want to projectile vomit.

Everybody knows I want a Lombardi, but after six years of Smittyball, I'd settle for having a fun team to watch for at least a couple of years before I would ask for anything more. Blank has to hire somebody with the type of personality and background that will put some fun and excitement back into watching Falcons football again. Somebody who will take risks and play to win rather than puzzy-footing around trying not to lose. Contemplating even five more games of Smittyball makes me want to projectile vomit.

PokerSteve, I hear ya.

Your post brought two things to mind.

1) I, like most of us here like Smitty as a person, a solid decent man. When I see a game......which I can't watch anymore......I have less than ZERO faith that the defense can stop anything. ANY......THING. NOTHING. OK, with that said how in the h.ell can any sane person derive any pleasure out of watching the Falcons anymore.

On offense, back in 2011 and 2012, you KNEW Ryan was going to find Gonzo for a 1st down. Those two virtually could not be stopped. It was fun to watch. Hope abounded. Even though you knew the defense was a c.rap shoot, the offense would trump their inconsistent play and would find a way to win, usually on the foot of Matt Bryant.

Today.......it's a feeling of almost total hopelessness. Complete mediocrity, no tackling, ZERO pass rush, and a guaranteed 1st and 10 for the opponent........ALWAYS.

2) Watching Paul Johnson over at GA Tech is pure fun. Not the best talent in the world but they can beat anybody on a given day. They are in EVERY game and surprise the h.ell out of everybody with their creative offense, great game day coaching, and really good speed.

The complete opposite of the Falcons.

At what point have the Atlanta fans accepted mediocrity? When I hear a coach and a team getting booed, then I'm thinking that is not acceptance. The fans, don't draft the players, pick the coaches or the owners. The fans only show support by showing up, and it's not like there has been overwhelming support in that area either.

But everyone will say, "well at least we made it to the playoffs". Everyone? I think maybe a small percentage might, but overall, anybody with a brain knows what is going on.

To blame fans of a team for not doing something meaningful in the teams 40+ years of existence, is like blaming the passengers on a train for the train going off the tracks. STUPID.

Didn't know you could call others STUPID. Mods, where are you?

Worse, if this team manages to back into the playoffs, Blank will give Smitty and Dummytroff another extension.

Given the 2 losses directly attributed to this Coach, why do you place any hope in him for the future?

The only reason would be that mediocrity works for this Owner.

Well there are certainly some nuthuggers here. My favorite are the ones who claim they are true fans because they are willing their salad's tossed by all things Falcons. I live in Philly and Smith would have had his hose burn down for what he has done..metaphorically speaking, well kind of.

How many super bowls have the Eagles won? Rex Ryan has been a disaster yet he is still around in new york. Fans here are mad as **** and to say we accept mediocrity is a li. RANDY Cross is a carpet bagging **** stain that can eat a ****.

As a fan I sometimes feel like good ole "Skank" from the movie "The Crow"

When we speak up and complain we are cry babies. When we defend the team we are homers. The media tags us as the problem. we might as well be "A small frickin fish on a big frickin hook" Because no matter what we do or say our Falcons suck and it's our fault!! LOL ridiculous.. We are all just the wallet that funds it because it's the "Home team" You know it's like the gas or electric company telling us we are a "member" when we had no choice to begin with.. good times.. doh!

Edited by Goal2Go

who cares what the fans have accepted or not accepted. I've been a Falcons fan since we moved to Georgia in 1969 as a kid. In 45 years, I've never missed a tackle or a block, dropped a pass or thrown an interception, never missed a field goal,

or called a time out with less than a minute left on the clock just to decide to throw a long pass on 3 and 2.

The fans have absolutely nothing to do with what happens on the field. Anyone who doesn't care if the team wins or not, really isn't a "fan", and that's about the only time I can see that would ever be appropriate to say

So they say we suck as fans because of attendance, then say we suck because we accept mediocrity? That makes absolutely no sense at all. Trying to have it both ways.

It is not a coincidence that ticket sales have risen and fallen with the teams successes and failures.

Not to mention blaming fans for teams shortcomings is freaking dumb.