Tom Clements Or Pat Shurmur For Hc

4dabirds

Clements is currently the OC for Green Bay, and has been with the Packers for a while. He works under Mike McCarthy (one of if not the best HC IMO), and he has help tremendously with Rodgers, as he used to be the QB's coach.

Pat Shurmur is currently the OC with the Eagles, and was HC for one year in Cleveland where Colt McCoy had his one good year. He was fired after one year along with Cleveland's GM, and many say he was not given a fair shake. Shurmur works within Kelly's hurry up offense and has even Sanchez looking much better than he was in NY.

Either of the guys would probably have a list of good coaches to bring with them.

I use to be big on Tom Clements but the more time has gone on and the more teams have passed over him, I've kinda fallen off that wagon. He should have had a HC gig a long time ago. Something just doesn't sit right when that happens, looking at you Ron Rivera.

I am definitely in favor of an offensive guy though. Todd Bowles is the only D guy I support at this point.

I've loved Tom Clements for a while, going back to Buffalo and then the work he's done with Rodgers. Great teached of the position. But as a playcaller, he got relieved of his duties in Buffalo, and he doesn't call the plays in Green Bay. That's McCarthy's show.

Same deal with Shumur. He's west coast guy, but I was underwhelmed with his Cleveland stint. Why would you throw him out as a candidate, just curious?

I use to be big on Tom Clements but the more time has gone on and the more teams have passed over him, I've kinda fallen off that wagon. He should have had a HC gig a long time ago. Something just doesn't sit right when that happens, looking at you Ron Rivera.

I am definitely in favor of an offensive guy though. Todd Bowles is the only D guy I support at this point.

I too think Clements should have been an HC a long time ago. He may just like being in GB and the role he has. He's still fairly young though, and maybe he is just waiting for the right opportunity.

I've loved Tom Clements for a while, going back to Buffalo and then the work he's done with Rodgers. Great teached of the position. But as a playcaller, he got relieved of his duties in Buffalo, and he doesn't call the plays in Green Bay. That's McCarthy's show.

Same deal with Shumur. He's west coast guy, but I was underwhelmed with his Cleveland stint. Why would you throw him out as a candidate, just curious?

PS only got one year in Cleveland (where he was hired by Holmgren) and had to start a rookie QB. Holmgren left Cleveland in a bad way, and PS And the GM got fired as the organization wanted to wash it's hands of all things Holmgren. PS seems to have an edgy side to him, and look how good Philly's offense is. I know the Philly offense is a product of Kelly, but it's not to say that PS isn't just as involved. I think PS knows what he'd like to do with his next HC job, and will be successful as long as he has a franchise QB.

Edited by 4dabirds

"Clements is currently the OC for Green Bay, and has been with the Packers for a while. He works under Mike McCarthy (one of if not the best HC IMO), and he has help tremendously with Rodgers, as he used to be the QB's coach."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes!

I joined this site just so I could post a new thread about Tom Clements. I want to lay out why I think Clements NEEDS to be either the new head coach or at the least Offensive coordinator for the Birds. I am a newbie here so forgive my ignorance as far as posting and rules etc.

I would like to start a new thread and layout why I think Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan are so very similar and how Clements could take Matty to that next level of actually being an "elite." QB!

Should I start a new thread (I guess that is the term???) or just post in this one? Oh...and greets everyone from a long time lurker living in Charlotte and paying for DTV Sunday ticket just so I can watch my birds.

"Clements is currently the OC for Green Bay, and has been with the Packers for a while. He works under Mike McCarthy (one of if not the best HC IMO), and he has help tremendously with Rodgers, as he used to be the QB's coach."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes!

I joined this site just so I could post a new thread about Tom Clements. I want to lay out why I think Clements NEEDS to be either the new head coach or at the least Offensive coordinator for the Birds. I am a newbie here so forgive my ignorance as far as posting and rules etc.

I would like to start a new thread and layout why I think Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan are so very similar and how Clements could take Matty to that next level of actually being an "elite." QB!

Should I start a new thread (I guess that is the term???) or just post in this one? Oh...and greets everyone from a long time lurker living in Charlotte and paying for DTV Sunday ticket just so I can watch my birds.

Sorry...You don't have enough post replies (you need a 100) to start a new topic. I believe that is the rule, but I could be wrong about it.

PS only got one year in Cleveland (where he was hired by Holmgren) and had to start a rookie QB. Holmgren left Cleveland in a bad way, and PS And the GM got fired as the organization wanted to wash it's hands of all things Holmgren. PS seems to have an edgy side to him, and look how good Philly's offense is. I know the Philly offense is a product of Kelly, but it's not to say that PS isn't just as involved. I think PS knows what he'd like to do with his next HC job, and will be successful as long as he has a franchise QB.

I know about all that in Cleveland. He actually got more than a year btw (not disagreeing with your overall point) I'm just saying, what was so impressive? I know he was a Holmgrem guy, but he was just never impressive to me even before that, like his stint in St. Louis as OC. Personally, there's nothing about Philly's offense that makes me want to credit him because it's totally Kelly's system at work from the tempo to the spread option stuff, etc. Shurmur's offense never featured those kinds of wrinkles. Did he even have an offense that was better than a ranking in the 20's as OC or HC?

I know about all that in Cleveland. He actually got more than a year btw (not disagreeing with your overall point) I'm just saying, what was so impressive? I know he was a Holmgrem guy, but he was just never impressive to me even before that, like his stint in St. Louis as OC. Personally, there's nothing about Philly's offense that makes me want to credit him because it's totally Kelly's system at work from the tempo to the spread option stuff, etc. Shurmur's offense never featured those kinds of wrinkles. Did he even have an offense that was better than a ranking in the 20's as OC or HC?

Pat Shurmur coached the 2011 and 2012 seasons, and neither were good years. However, he has worked under some good people, and I have to believe that those peoples knowledge has rubbed off on him. He seems to know how to get an offense on track. Pat Shurmur is a wild card for me, and nothing is that impressive about his resume, but I do believe that he has a lot to prove and has a better plan going forward. Colt McCoy, and Sam Bradford had their best years with Shurmur being involved with their football teams.

Ok....I'll just lay out my case here for now.... (This is a long post....sorry)

How Tom Clements can help this team and Matt Ryan either as a HC or as an Offensive coordinator:

"As QBs coach, Clements’ extensive tutelage of Rodgers paid dividends, culminating with a 2011 campaign that saw him earn NFL Most Valuable Player honors from AP. Rodgers set an NFL single-season record with a 122.5 passer rating and franchise marks for TD passes (45), passing yards (4,643), completion percentage (68.3), yards per attempt (9.25), TD/INT ratio (7.50) and 300-yard games (eight). Clements helped Rodgers become the first QB in NFL history to register two seasons with 500-plus attempts and seven or fewer INTs (2009 and 2011)."

1. Matt Ryan - Born: May 17, 1985 (age 29), Exton, PA

2. Height: 6' 4" (1.93 m)

3. Nickname: Matty Ice

Weight - 220 Lbs. (Was 224 out of college)

1. Aaron Rodgers - Born: December 2, 1983 (age 30), Chico, CA

2. Height: 6' 2" (1.88 m)

3. 40 yard dash time: 4.71 seconds

Weight - 225 Lbs.

Matt Ryan -

40 Yard Dash:

4.89 seconds

20 Yard Dash:

2.81 seconds

10 Yard Dash:

1.62 seconds

Bench Press:

(N/A) reps (225 lb)

Wonderlic:

32 (0-50)

Aaron Rodgers -

40 Yard Dash:

4.71 seconds

20 Yard Dash:

2.75 seconds

10 Yard Dash:

1.65 seconds

Bench Press:

(N/A) reps (225 lb)

Wonderlic:

39 (0-50)

Vertical Leap:

34.5 inches

Broad Jump:

110 inches

20 Yd Shuttle:

(N/A) seconds

Three Cone:

7.39 seconds

60 Yd Shuttle:

(N/A) seconds

2006 - Ryan breaks his foot / 2006 - Rodgers broke his foot in Rookie season

It seems everyone compares Matt Ryan to Joe Flacco or Peyton Manning but I see him more like an Aaron Rodgers... if he gets coached up a little better.

Here is what I see - Matt has shown he can be been more mobile this year and apparently has worked hard on that this past off season. I think it shows on the field, this year especially. I think his improvement in mobility and ability to escape the rush has made this sh$#%y O-line look more improved than it actually is...IMO. I have seen him just as quick and mobil as Rodgers at times and I have seen him make some incredible and accurate throws when rolling to his right. I would love to seem them use him rolling out of the pocket as actual plays instead of running away bc our OL makes the crappiest D's look amazing. When Matt has rolled out to the right he’s made some amazing plays this year. And we all know how good Rodgers is outside the pocket....Clements?

Anyway...I am not as football savvy as most of you guys on here but after watching Rodgers play I started seeing a lot of similarities to Matt Ryan. I have not been on the "Fire Smitty" band wagon until we lost that game against the Browns Sunday. I've seen a lot of people complaining about Matt and saying he is not elite or whatever. So after the game I started digging around and wanted to trace back on Rodgers career. I had never heard of Clements until Sunday...but after doing some digging I think this guy would be a perfect fit for Atlanta with a QB like Ryan already here. Before he had Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers he took some really BAD QB's in his past and greatly improved them. Apparently he is ready to be a HC

Here is an article with more about him. I guess some folks in Washington would like to see him as their HC? - http://fanspeak.com/washingtonredskins/2013/12/20/tom-clements-redskins-next-coach/

"Rodgers improved so quickly and drastically under Clements that it is pretty clear that some of the credit should go to his QB coach."

"During his eight seasons on Green Bay’s staff, the Packers have ranked in the top 10 in scoring in seven of those seasons and in the top 10 in total offense seven times. Since Clements took over as offensive coordinator in 2012, the Packers rank No. 4 in the league in scoring (26.6 ppg), No. 6 in total offense (379.8 ypg), tied for No. 4 in giveaways (41) and No. 5 in first downs (692)."

In 2013, Clements helped the Packers generate 6,404 yards of total offense (No. 3 in the NFL), the second most in franchise history behind only the 6,482 yards posted in 2011. Green Bay finished in the top 10 in both rushing (No. 7) and passing (No. 6) for the first time since 2004 and ranked No. 3 in the NFL with 76 plays of 20-plus yards. Green Bay’s rushing average of 133.5 yards per game was the team’s best mark since 2003 and was the sixth-best average posted by the team since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger. RB Eddie Lacy rushed for 1,178 yards, the most by a rookie in team history, on his way to being selected to the Pro Bowl and being named NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year by The Associated Press.

Here is the full article - http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/tom-clements/bb67e02f-a2b1-4543-83af-00f437249c9f

"Another positive with Clements is the fact that he's watched up-close-and-personal on the best way to build a team during his time in Green Bay (his time in Pittsburgh is also another good learning experience). He can help be a voice of reason on how to build a team and have the needed depth to survive when injuries pile up."

Okay I guess that is my two cents on Tom Clements for either a head coaching job...or as an OC. Actually I don't care what he does as long as he gets a job here and develops Matt just that little bit more so he can be that "Elite" QB.

Ok....I'll just lay out my case here for now.... (This is a long post....sorry)

How Tom Clements can help this team and Matt Ryan either as a HC or as an Offensive coordinator:

"As QBs coach, Clements’ extensive tutelage of Rodgers paid dividends, culminating with a 2011 campaign that saw him earn NFL Most Valuable Player honors from AP. Rodgers set an NFL single-season record with a 122.5 passer rating and franchise marks for TD passes (45), passing yards (4,643), completion percentage (68.3), yards per attempt (9.25), TD/INT ratio (7.50) and 300-yard games (eight). Clements helped Rodgers become the first QB in NFL history to register two seasons with 500-plus attempts and seven or fewer INTs (2009 and 2011)."

1. Matt Ryan - Born: May 17, 1985 (age 29), Exton, PA

2. Height: 6' 4" (1.93 m)

3. Nickname: Matty Ice

Weight - 220 Lbs. (Was 224 out of college)

1. Aaron Rodgers - Born: December 2, 1983 (age 30), Chico, CA

2. Height: 6' 2" (1.88 m)

3. 40 yard dash time: 4.71 seconds

Weight - 225 Lbs.

Matt Ryan -

40 Yard Dash:

4.89 seconds

20 Yard Dash:

2.81 seconds

10 Yard Dash:

1.62 seconds

Bench Press:

(N/A) reps (225 lb)

Wonderlic:

32 (0-50)

Aaron Rodgers -

40 Yard Dash:

4.71 seconds

20 Yard Dash:

2.75 seconds

10 Yard Dash:

1.65 seconds

Bench Press:

(N/A) reps (225 lb)

Wonderlic:

39 (0-50)

Vertical Leap:

34.5 inches

Broad Jump:

110 inches

20 Yd Shuttle:

(N/A) seconds

Three Cone:

7.39 seconds

60 Yd Shuttle:

(N/A) seconds

2006 - Ryan breaks his foot / 2006 - Rodgers broke his foot in Rookie season

It seems everyone compares Matt Ryan to Joe Flacco or Peyton Manning but I see him more like an Aaron Rodgers... if he gets coached up a little better.

Here is what I see - Matt has shown he can be been more mobile this year and apparently has worked hard on that this past off season. I think it shows on the field, this year especially. I think his improvement in mobility and ability to escape the rush has made this sh$#%y O-line look more improved than it actually is...IMO. I have seen him just as quick and mobil as Rodgers at times and I have seen him make some incredible and accurate throws when rolling to his right. I would love to seem them use him rolling out of the pocket as actual plays instead of running away bc our OL makes the crappiest D's look amazing. When Matt has rolled out to the right he’s made some amazing plays this year. And we all know how good Rodgers is outside the pocket....Clements?

Anyway...I am not as football savvy as most of you guys on here but after watching Rodgers play I started seeing a lot of similarities to Matt Ryan. I have not been on the "Fire Smitty" band wagon until we lost that game against the Browns Sunday. I've seen a lot of people complaining about Matt and saying he is not elite or whatever. So after the game I started digging around and wanted to trace back on Rodgers career. I had never heard of Clements until Sunday...but after doing some digging I think this guy would be a perfect fit for Atlanta with a QB like Ryan already here. Before he had Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers he took some really BAD QB's in his past and greatly improved them. Apparently he is ready to be a HC

Here is an article with more about him. I guess some folks in Washington would like to see him as their HC? - http://fanspeak.com/washingtonredskins/2013/12/20/tom-clements-redskins-next-coach/

"Rodgers improved so quickly and drastically under Clements that it is pretty clear that some of the credit should go to his QB coach."

"During his eight seasons on Green Bay’s staff, the Packers have ranked in the top 10 in scoring in seven of those seasons and in the top 10 in total offense seven times. Since Clements took over as offensive coordinator in 2012, the Packers rank No. 4 in the league in scoring (26.6 ppg), No. 6 in total offense (379.8 ypg), tied for No. 4 in giveaways (41) and No. 5 in first downs (692)."

In 2013, Clements helped the Packers generate 6,404 yards of total offense (No. 3 in the NFL), the second most in franchise history behind only the 6,482 yards posted in 2011. Green Bay finished in the top 10 in both rushing (No. 7) and passing (No. 6) for the first time since 2004 and ranked No. 3 in the NFL with 76 plays of 20-plus yards. Green Bay’s rushing average of 133.5 yards per game was the team’s best mark since 2003 and was the sixth-best average posted by the team since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger. RB Eddie Lacy rushed for 1,178 yards, the most by a rookie in team history, on his way to being selected to the Pro Bowl and being named NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year by The Associated Press.

Here is the full article - http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/tom-clements/bb67e02f-a2b1-4543-83af-00f437249c9f

"Another positive with Clements is the fact that he's watched up-close-and-personal on the best way to build a team during his time in Green Bay (his time in Pittsburgh is also another good learning experience). He can help be a voice of reason on how to build a team and have the needed depth to survive when injuries pile up."

Okay I guess that is my two cents on Tom Clements for either a head coaching job...or as an OC. Actually I don't care what he does as long as he gets a job here and develops Matt just that little bit more so he can be that "Elite" QB.

Good stuff. I don't think we could get him as OC without some sort of compensation to the Packers, nor would he probably be interested in making a lateral move to a new environment. I do think we could get hims an HC, but after reading your post, I'm thinking he is better served as an OC, and not as an HC who has to motivate an entire team. I could be wrong though, and the guy could be itching for the right opportunity to be an HC.

Good stuff. I don't think we could get him as OC without some sort of compensation to the Packers, nor would he probably be interested in making a lateral move to a new environment. I do think we could get hims an HC, but after reading your post, I'm thinking he is better served as an OC, and not as an HC who has to motivate an entire team. I could be wrong though, and the guy could be itching for the right opportunity to be an HC.

Hey thanks....I actually did a lot more research on this but I want to wait and make a new thread when I am able. From everything I have read he is def ready to make that HC jump. I am pretty sure he was a major candidate consideration for someone last year...can't remember who it was so have to look that up. I really think he would be a great fit here. Especially with the knowledge and experience he has gained watching "up-close-and-personal on the best way to build a team during his time in Green Bay (his time in Pittsburgh is also another good learning experience). And I am really loving this - "He can help be a voice of **reason** on how to build a team and have the **needed depth** to survive when injuries pile up." Sound like something we REALLY NEED....anyoneshrug.001.gif ?

Hey thanks....I actually did a lot more research on this but I want to wait and make a new thread when I am able. From everything I have read he is def ready to make that HC jump. I am pretty sure he was a major candidate consideration for someone last year...can't remember who it was so have to look that up. I really think he would be a great fit here. Especially with the knowledge and experience he has gained watching "up-close-and-personal on the best way to build a team during his time in Green Bay (his time in Pittsburgh is also another good learning experience). And I am really loving this - "He can help be a voice of **reason** on how to build a team and have the **needed depth** to survive when injuries pile up." Sound like something we REALLY NEED....anyoneshrug.001.gif ?

You offer a very persuasive case for him, and he certainly does have some top-tier background and excellent track record as an OC. I don't know if he's at the very top of my list, but now knowing much more about him, I could support his hiring if he turned out to be the guy.