Smith's Other Major Timeout Blunder - The First Half

Coach_Petrino

The end of the game was so bad, it overshadowed another terrible move on Smith's part. With the Browns facing 4th down at the end of the half, Smith elected to LET THE CLOCK RUN instead of calling timeout. They lined up for a FG, we snuck Hester on the field, and THEN he calls timeout!

This was so dumb because 1) we did not save time for ourselves, and 2) the Browns got a chance to see that a) their kicker didn't have the leg for the kick, and b ) we had Hester back there returning it. I thought for sure the Browns would go for it after that, but they have suspect coaching as well, so they did another unsucessful field goal.

But here's where Smith not calling timeout sooner really hurt us. Hester fields the FG and nearly takes it back to the house. BUT BECAUSE SMITH HAD LET THE CLOCK RUN ALL THE WAY DOWN, WE HAD NO TIME TO DO ANYTHING WITH THE BALL.

I swear, almost every game we do the EXACT OPPOSITE of what we should at the end of the halves. Whether it's taking a knee when we have time to score, letting the opponent drain all the clock, or throwing incomplete passes when all we have to do is run the clock -- it's actually amazing.

Edited by Coach_Petrino

That TO was so ******* dumb. They didn't even know that Hester was back on the first kick. He would have taken it back. One of the few times I've been legitimately angry this year.

I've always wondered something. I was never in the situation when I played so I don't know. Why is it when a return man has everyone running to one side, why do they never run back towards the open side of the field, especially when you have the speed hester possesses?

I've always wondered something. I was never in the situation when I played so I don't know. Why is it when a return man has everyone running to one side, why do they never run back towards the open side of the field, especially when you have the speed hester possesses?

Once they start running I'm not sure they have the time or awareness to look back or see the other side of the field. That's why most returners are hit or miss imo, once they get running down hill they don't have the opportunity to step back and scan the entire field without being caught.

Once they start running I'm not sure they have the time or awareness to look back or see the other side of the field. That's why most returners are hit or miss imo, once they get running down hill they don't have the opportunity to step back and scan the entire field without being caught.

go back to the play on Sunday that you mentioned. By the time hester got to the 20, he have seen everyone running to his right with the left side wide *** open. But again, I've never been put in that situation so I wouldn't know what it's like in that situation. Just curious because I got to see it unfold in person and I've been wondering about it since. Thanks

go back to the play on Sunday that you mentioned. By the time hester got to the 20, he have seen everyone running to his right with the left side wide *** open. But again, I've never been put in that situation so I wouldn't know what it's like in that situation. Just curious because I got to see it unfold in person and I've been wondering about it since. Thanks

You usually have a wedge or something on one side, and it comes down to sticking with your play and needing to outrun people, or cutting it back, and needing to get past 1 or 2 guys. But you lose momentum, and those guys will take you down much earlier. You're generally coached to milk as much as you can unless you see a wide open space.

However, exactly what you're seeing is why the tossback punt return works. You get the entire field flowing one way, and then the returner throws it 40 yards across the field to a 2nd returner. That guy pretty much has a free shot to the endzone if the first returner made enough progress to get the defense to converge on him.

You usually have a wedge or something on one side, and it comes down to sticking with your play and needing to outrun people, or cutting it back, and needing to get past 1 or 2 guys. But you lose momentum, and those guys will take you down much earlier. You're generally coached to milk as much as you can unless you see a wide open space.

However, exactly what you're seeing is why the tossback punt return works. You get the entire field flowing one way, and then the returner throws it 40 yards across the field to a 2nd returner. That guy pretty much has a free shot to the endzone if the first returner made enough progress to get the defense to converge on him.

makes sense. Thanks for that man. That's just one of those things I've always wondered about

I am being honest guys, I think Mike Smith is going through health issues right now. I think his heart or his mind is having trouble functioning through stressful parts of the game. It's the only way we could explain these horrible decisions because when he first started, he wasn't making these decisions