2015 Falcons Offseason Mock 3

datchrisb1

Just want to win, the way I see things in football, championship winning teams all have the same model. The model to me is a team that can play SOUND defense, run the ball WHEN THEY NEED TOO, and keep turnovers low. They don't necessarily have to have a stud running back or a high volume of high draft picks along the front (offensively). This formula or model basically screams, "the most physical team wins". If you are stopping teams when you need to and running the ball when you need to, then 9 times out of 10 you are the more physical team. That model has physical hard nose guys along the offensive line, and physical athletic guys along the defensive line. Usually the tackles are somewhat high picks, you may have a guard higher than a 3rd. The defensive line is usually littered with high draft picks, pro bowlers. The QB is important but to me is exaggerated. We have a winning QB, that is what is needed. Play sound defense, run the ball, don't turn the ball over (which is on the QB). HOF QBs couldn't win the big show without this formula/model, Ryan is no different. We have the QB we need, we have the skill positions we need, we just need to get the point of attack straight.

Retain/Resign: Osi Umenyiora, Sean Weatherspoon, Corey Peters, Matt Bryant, Bear Pascoe, Patrick Dimarco, Antone Smith

Bringing back Osi and Peters simply because Osi will get you adequate pressures and sacks on the QB in a rotational role and Peters really is probably our best DT, him and Babs as far as pressure up the middle, he would also be great in a rotation. Matt Bryant and Antone are no brainers, to me so is Spoon for the right price. Bear Pascoe for the money is a great addition for our run situations at TE and Patrick Dimarco is what we need at fullback but I wouldn't mind improving there if the price is right.

Free Agent Targets: Tamba Hali DE/OLB, Jermaine Gresham TE, Chris Harris CB, Bruce Carter LB, Jabaal Sheard DE/OLB

We need a pass rush, meaning a team wide pass rush, number one period. Tamba Hali or someone of his caliber should be the top free agent target we need to go and get. Jabaal Sheard also provides this. Bringing in Jermaine Gresham for his all around play specifically, I really do think with a new team and new QB Gresham could flourish. We need a veteran nickel corner, letting go Wilson, McClain, and Arenas, need to bring in Chris Harris who is a proven nickel guy. Harris would be a vast improvement of what we currently have at nickel. When healthy Carter is a great player, I'm guessing we could get him at a discount, we can play him inside or out, and he would add the speed we need in the middle.

Estimated Position (Picks 5 - 10)

1st: Shane Ray DE/OLB (Missouri)- Add another high caliber pass rushing threat to the front line. He would fit in a 3-4 or a 4-3 depending on what the new regime decides to do. Really if he is still on the board this pick is a no brainer.

2nd: Todd Gurley RB (UGA)- With his injury its a good chance he could drop to the 2nd round. It's more on the timing of the injury more than anything, he won't be available to workout for scouts come March, April, no combine, they will HAVE TO go off the tape and that's it. Alot of "experts" say he will slide out of the 1st, and too me it makes since just considering how meticulous teams are.

3rd: Ereck Flowers RT (Miami)- We need a starting RT, Flowers can provide this for us. The only reason he is falling this far is because of injury concerns. Just go watch his tape, if you still have a problem with this pick after that its something wrong with you.

4th: Zadarius Smith DE (Kentucky)- Honestly, might be a bit of a shocker but personally I like him more than Dupree on the other side, simply because he is more stout and has a more all around game to me. He is a true speed to power guy, relying more on power. Would fit well in the mix at DE and again we need the rushers. He could very well slide inside on true passing situations.

5th: Ladarius Gunter CB (Miami)- He's a bigger corner 6'2 198. Love him in press coverage. He has great long speed but as expected isn't a fast twitch guy, but very physical corner who does have the speed to run with anybody. Would be a great fit for us here as far as depth at the corner position and special teams.

6th: Jamon Brown OG (Louisville)- Please go watch this guys tape. He currently plays tackle, but next level I think he will be inside, more likely a RG. He is a man mover for sure, he has no problem at all pushing the pile, moving the LOS forward, he's not a quick footed player, not a dancing bear, but at RG you don't need to be. He could be an eventual starter with us.

7th: Terris Jones-Grisby RB (Arizona)- We need more depth at running back, in this mock I'm not bringing back Rodgers. Jones-Grisby is faster and a bigger threat than Rodgers as far as hitting the home run, probably on the same level as Smith. Could also contribute on special teams of course.

7th: Michael Orakpo LB (Texas State)- Let me explain! With the new people coming in I don't see them having such a big focus on the character of the player. Orakpo is physically a 2nd round pick at least when healthy I might add. Last year I wanted us too take a look at Isiah Crowell, everybody here said I was crazy, saying the same thing about Orakpo here. He is more than worth a late 7th round pick even with the knee. That's just my thinking, it's just a compensatory 7th round pick.

Edited by datchrisb1

I do not see the love for Peters. He is our best defensive tackle on the 32 ranked defense and our run defense is horrible as well so is our pass rush. Even Peae from chigago has 4 sacks and there defense got 50+ on them in back to back weeks.

Draft his replacement or find another D tackle in FA. We need toughness and stoutness. I would take what we would give Peters and add 2-3mil and give that to Fairley.

If we come out with Bruce Carter, Tamba Hali, Jabaal Sheard, and Shane Ray i'd be pumped, but i don't know how likely that is. I don't think Hali is going to be a superstar over here though. Not a fan of getting pass rushers on free agency who are older, but I do think he would be an upgrade on what we have. We need to stockpile the **** out of some pass rushers.

If we come out with Bruce Carter, Tamba Hali, Jabaal Sheard, and Shane Ray i'd be pumped, but i don't know how likely that is. I don't think Hali is going to be a superstar over here though. Not a fan of getting pass rushers on free agency who are older, but I do think he would be an upgrade on what we have. We need to stockpile the **** out of some pass rushers.

What about Jerry Hughes instead of Hali?

I know that many are weary of him because he plays along with Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, and Marcel Dareus. He continuously beats his own man though, which is usually opposing teams' LTs because he is the Bills weakside rusher. He beat D'Brickashaw Ferguson for 2 sacks vs the Jets.

He currently has 9.5 sacks and is a lot younger than Hali and still has potential to improve.

I know that many are weary of him because he plays along with Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, and Marcel Dareus. He continuously beats his own man though, which is usually opposing teams' LTS because is the Bills weakside rusher. He beat D'Brickashaw Ferguson for 2 sacks vs the Jets.

He currently has 9.5 sacks and is a lot younger than Hali and still has potential to improve.

Oh i'd definitely rather have Jerry Hughes. Yeah he is on a stacked D line, but like you said, the dude is earning his sacks.

I highly doubt that Gurley ends up falling to the 2nd.

I would agree but the "experts" do make a strong case that there is a good posibility. He has yet to play a full season, his injury this year will keep teams from examining the injury risk further, he won't be able too work out for teams, teams can't collect and adequate medical record well at least a complete one. The only thing medical they can get is his past record which isn't good.

I do not see the love for Peters. He is our best defensive tackle on the 32 ranked defense and our run defense is horrible as well so is our pass rush. Even Peae from chigago has 4 sacks and there defense got 50+ on them in back to back weeks. Draft his replacement or find another D tackle in FA. We need toughness and stoutness. I would take what we would give Peters and add 2-3mil and give that to Fairley.

Wouldn't call it a love affair, just stating fact and the FACT is aside from Abraham, Peters and Babs have been our only pass rush threats on this team. And its not all about sacks. But, your suggestion would probably work better, I would still like too drastically improve the ends as well.

I know that many are weary of him because he plays along with Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, and Marcel Dareus. He continuously beats his own man though, which is usually opposing teams' LTs because he is the Bills weakside rusher. He beat D'Brickashaw Ferguson for 2 sacks vs the Jets.

Hughes is a little suspect to me because of what he did when he was in Indy, NOTHING, don't know if he is simply benefiting with what he has around him. Remember we signed a guy based on those circumstances, remember Ray Edwards. Do you guys want to go through that nightmare again?

I think I might sign him instead of Hali too, but just a little weary of it...