Smitty's Dummass Time Out Just Part Of A Two Minute Clown Show

Just check out this keystone cop show:

(2:00) - 3rd and 1 from the CLE 46 - SJax 3 yard run and a first down. For some reason we stay in the no huddle here instead of huddling and running clock (left 00:19 on the clock)

(1:31) - 1st and 10 from the CLE 43 - Quizz 1 yard reception. We still stay in the freakin no huddle (left 00:20 on the clock)

(1:03) - 2nd and 9 from the CLE 42 - Dougle 7 yard reception. Smitty calls the dummass time out at 00:55. (left 00:25 on the clock)

(00:55) - 3rd and 2 from the CLE 35 - A 25 yard incompletion to Hester instead of a clock killin run. Blank spins around with his Vincent Price coat on and waves his hands in the air like WTF son? (left 00:25 on the clock)

So out of stupidity we blow off 1:29 of precious clock burnage that would have either burnt up all of CLE's time outs or left the clock on 00:00 after Ice Bryant's game winner. SMDH

Of course the show aint over yet. The middle of Nolan's defense had to get in on the act:

-Incompletion

-11 yards on Ish

-24 yards on Worrilow

-15 yards on Lowery

-11 yards on Wilson

-Spike

-Game Winner - Drive home safely

What a fkn two minute clown show folks. Lawd have murcy.

Started earlier than that, Browns get the ball at 3:37, run for 8 yards on first down, then don't run again, next two plays-incomplete pass,INT. This, after Hoyer has just thrown a red zone pick that cost the Browns at least 3 points.

Falcons haven't stopped the browns on the ground all game- one first down, the game is over.

And they're still in first place. sigh

Yeah. It was exactly like that. When everyone got on their feet yelling and going crazy after Ice gave us 3, I just sat there. My husband looked at me and raised his eyebrow. I said - look at the clock. No way in h.... that our defense stops them from getting down there for a field goal. Game is over. Detroit all over again.

They got me in London with that missed field goal. I let myself go nuts, but not this time.

It's the saddest thing. From 2008 through even mid last year, when we were close in the 4th quarter, I was calm. As many heart stopping endings as we had, I always had this calm confidence in the pit of my gut which said - we take this - and we usually did - especially at home.

Now, it is the opposite - and it's more like the pre-2008 era. I feel like we will find a way to lose instead of a way to win. Smitty makes sure that he does his part with the time management and challenged challenge decisions. Our offense goes into some strange hibernation and our defense gets all sentimental about the guys in the other colors.

I feel like breaking something. I see Arthur Blanks face and I know he feels that way too. The only solace I have now is that the more they keep screwing this up - the more sealed their fate becomes.

It's heart breaking to go back to the old Falcon fan mentality. I was really enjoying the past few years. It was fun feeling like we were gonna win every game no matter what. It was fun walking out of the stadium smiling and laughing.

This sucks.

I have hope, and always have known that with smith at the helm it wouldn't be a fun year. But, I have hope because I know once he is gone we have the talent that isn't being utilized properly to win games. We aren't this bad of a team, just that badly coached. You simply can not overcome bad coaching and specifically bad IN GAME coaching. There is simply no way this team should continuously come out and score 3 points, 7 points, 0 points in the second half of games. A new coach with some decent coordinators will,have this team respectable next year. We will get rid of all things Jacksonville, which I just never could grasp why. Things will improve, I'm just sad that we had to unnecessarily endure this year when it was fairly obvious the direction we have been headed with smith at the helm. And that direction has been a spiral downward. Change will be good.

Yeah. It was exactly like that. When everyone got on their feet yelling and going crazy after Ice gave us 3, I just sat there. My husband looked at me and raised his eyebrow. I said - look at the clock. No way in h.... that our defense stops them from getting down there for a field goal. Game is over. Detroit all over again.

They got me in London with that missed field goal. I let myself go nuts, but not this time.

It's the saddest thing. From 2008 through even mid last year, when we were close in the 4th quarter, I was calm. As many heart stopping endings as we had, I always had this calm confidence in the pit of my gut which said - we take this - and we usually did - especially at home.

Now, it is the opposite - and it's more like the pre-2008 era. I feel like we will find a way to lose instead of a way to win. Smitty makes sure that he does his part with the time management and challenged challenge decisions. Our offense goes into some strange hibernation and our defense gets all sentimental about the guys in the other colors.

I feel like breaking something. I see Arthur Blanks face and I know he feels that way too. The only solace I have now is that the more they keep screwing this up - the more sealed their fate becomes.

It's heart breaking to go back to the old Falcon fan mentality. I was really enjoying the past few years. It was fun feeling like we were gonna win every game no matter what. It was fun walking out of the stadium smiling and laughing.

This sucks.

Nice write up Tandy. How you been. I hate to remind you but since the last time I saw you we have gone 8-19. What a turn of events. I don't know though, as wacky as this season has been I wouldn't be surprised if we run the table and bring the Lombardi home, or if Tampa Bay ends up winning the NFCS.

This sucks.

I hear ya..

the worst part about all of this is the fact that I really don't believe in this team anymore, even when kicking a late go-ahead FG. I just know that the team (and coaches) will F it up.. I have seen this movie too many times, and I know how it ends..

As a fan I obviously want my team to win, and so the most disheartening thing is when the belief in the team has vaporized- And boy, it has vaporized, and it's incredibly frustrating.. I just want to believe in my team again. I don't care if we're not a playoff team next year, but I just want to re-experience that sense of belief that this team might be able to win a given game. That feeling comes from the fight and will and heart of the players and coaches, and we are definitely not going to get that back with this coaching staff on board.

Is there really any lingering doubt that when this team was winning it was largely in spite of the coaching. I think not.

We desperately need a makeover both mentally, philosofically and schemewise. Scrap it all and bring in someone with a completely fresh and new mindset, who is capable of "resetting" the soft and complacent attitude this coaching staff has taught our players.

Great breakdown 1970, I was planning on re-watching the game to see how much time we could have burned . Un freaking believable . We spend our hard earned money and time to support the team we love and this moron one handily screws it up for us! And he didn't learn jack from the Detroit game then he will never learn.

Nice write up Tandy. How you been. I hate to remind you but since the last time I saw you we have gone 8-19. What a turn of events. I don't know though, as wacky as this season has been I wouldn't be surprised if we run the table and bring the Lombardi home, or if Tampa Bay ends up winning the NFCS.

LOL - yeah, sitting at the game, watching the Tampa score (before the Bears comeback) - I was thinking - watch Tampa come out the winner this year - wouldn't that be a kick in the pants! 8-19 doesn't even seem possible with the talent we have on this team.

Now, mind you, I've been saying our line needs a rework for several years, even when we were winning, but our skill players seemed to make up for it - and for the defense - which has been bottom dwelling since Smitty took over. Now, I think Ryan, with no run game, getting pretty much smeared in most games by some pretty big, really fast athletes, has had his "clock" ruined. Even when Ryan's on - the receivers are off. The run game is nonexistent. They never replaced Ovie - and they still have a line that can't pull.

It's frustrating to see. Looking back on it now - I can see how many times we overcame a "Smitty foo-pah" Makes you wonder how many of those games wouldn't have been close if we'd had another coach. I've been complaining about his choices of when to challenge and his use of time outs since the beginning really - but mostly just during the game - and then when we were winning - just let it go after the game - because when you win - Who Cares?

Now that we are losing - and losing in close games - and losing in games we should win - we all care.

Every time I hear the Rise Up now - I want to stand up and say - we are rising up - now how about you guys rising up out there!

I'm at the point where I just shake my head over and over. We have a lot of injuries - but Why do we? Why can't they get guys in here who are more durable. Roddy and Ryan are about as durable as it gets, but everybody else is suspect. I love what Spoon brings to the team when he's healthy - but when is that? I love Willie Mo - and since the first year, he's been pretty healthy, but we've still had him out way more than the average amount of time for a safety in the NFL. We've got too many guys who've really never seen the field - or didn't see it much - or at least it seems that way.

I haven't given up on this year yet - because, mathematically, we aren't out of it - but looking at our schedule coming up - it's not likely. Even more so - if by some chance - we do win the Division - what chance do we have with this defense - and this OL against any team in the playoff race?

It's not a good outlook, but hey - stranger things have happened!

I have hope, and always have known that with smith at the helm it wouldn't be a fun year. But, I have hope because I know once he is gone we have the talent that isn't being utilized properly to win games. We aren't this bad of a team, just that badly coached. You simply can not overcome bad coaching and specifically bad IN GAME coaching. There is simply no way this team should continuously come out and score 3 points, 7 points, 0 points in the second half of games. A new coach with some decent coordinators will,have this team respectable next year. We will get rid of all things Jacksonville, which I just never could grasp why. Things will improve, I'm just sad that we had to unnecessarily endure this year when it was fairly obvious the direction we have been headed with smith at the helm. And that direction has been a spiral downward. Change will be good.

I disagree with your observation about talent. There is no doubt Smitty is over his head but this team lacks talent and that fact has put a spotlight on Smitty's weaknesses as a coach.

Our roster is not very good, and we lack blue chip players especially in the trenches.

We miss difference makers like John Abraham, Curtis Lofton, Brent Grimes, Micheal Turner, Harvey Dahl, Tony Gonzalez. All these players were replaced the equivalent of backups on most NFL rosters.

If you combine the lack of talent with injuries the story becomes clear how a team could go from the best record in the NFL in 2012 to a team that is under .500.

Edited by insight

(2:00) - 3rd and 1 from the CLE 46 - SJax 3 yard run and a first down. For some reason we stay in the no huddle here instead of huddling and running clock (left 00:19 on the clock)

(1:31) - 1st and 10 from the CLE 43 - Quizz 1 yard reception. We still stay in the freakin no huddle (left 00:20 on the clock)

(1:03) - 2nd and 9 from the CLE 42 - Dougle 7 yard reception. Smitty calls the dummass time out at 00:55. (left 00:25 on the clock)

(00:55) - 3rd and 2 from the CLE 35 - A 25 yard incompletion to Hester instead of a clock killin run. Blank spins around with his Vincent Price coat on and waves his hands in the air like WTF son? (left 00:25 on the clock)

So out of stupidity we blow off 1:29 of precious clock burnage that would have either burnt up all of CLE's time outs or left the clock on 00:00 after Ice Bryant's game winner. SMDH

Of course the show aint over yet. The middle of Nolan's defense had to get in on the act:

-Incompletion

-11 yards on Ish

-24 yards on Worrilow

-15 yards on Lowery

-11 yards on Wilson

-Spike

Heezy...Smitty has said that they called the T.O. because they wanted to get the best play in for the coverage that the defense was showhing....which favored the pass rather than the run. so you are correct...but the play was too deep. A simple 3-5 yard out from Hester would have been enough. Sell the deep out and break it out...its such an easy play to run....

-Incompletion

-11 yards on Ish

-24 yards on Worrilow

-15 yards on Lowery

-11 yards on Wilson

-Spike

Our coaches are complete morons, Koetter too. I think this team would be 7-4 minimum with Robiskie at HC, Tice at OC, and a lab chimp at DC

The no huddle made sense. We were outside FG at the time, so we had to lengthen the game by giving ourselves as many plays as possible to get there. The problem came when we reached the the edge of Bryant's field position. That's when we should have looked to shorten the game, although gaining another 10-15 yards needed to be a consideration.

With 0:55 we had time to milk the clock (or force Clevaland to burn it's TOs) and to get the ball 10-15 yards to make the FG more likely. In that position you have to run the ball or throw a short, high % pass if you are going to take a risk by throwing the ball. The deep pass to Hester was as bad as the TO, if not even worse.

The no huddle made sense. We were outside FG at the time, so we had to lengthen the game by giving ourselves as many plays as possible to get there. The problem came when we reached the the edge of Bryant's field position. That's when we should have looked to shorten the game, although gaining another 10-15 yards needed to be a consideration.

With 0:55 we had time to milk the clock (or force Clevaland to burn it's TOs) and to get the ball 10-15 yards to make the FG more likely. In that position you have to run the ball or throw a short, high % pass if you are going to take a risk by throwing the ball. The deep pass to Hester was as bad as the TO, if not even worse.

Exactly. Matt doesn't call up a deep ball to Hester in that situation. There really was no need to stop what was working.

So out of stupidity we blow off 1:29 of precious clock burnage that would have either burnt up all of CLE's time outs or left the clock on 00:00 after Ice Bryant's game winner. SMDH.

To be clear I agree it was a debacle and Smitty needs to go. However I can't help noticing your positive assessment of Bryant. It was only a few weeks ago you were bagging the $hit out of TD as usual and you specifically mentioned along with othets the resigning of Bryant as a bad move. When I asked you about it you stuck to your guns claiming he was a bad resigning. FTR I agree TD has had some bone head moves but I'm just curious if you can now acknowledge that Bryant is a great kicker and is frankly the no.1 clutch kicker in the NFL - especially past 50 yards. Without him we lose game 1 v Saints and last week vs Panthers. Acknowledging ones mistakes is the first step to redemption brother :-)