So At What Point Is It Hard For You To Enjoy Winning The Division

alwaysfallforward

As of now, the Falcons are 4-7 as are the Saints. Panthers aren't out of it either, and heck, even the Bucs aren't(though them winning it is unlikely). Honestly, I was pulling for the Saints tonight in part because I actually would feel kind of dirty enjoying the Falcons winnin the division if they had a home playoff game at 6-10, lol. So for you guys, is there any limit to where you wouldn't even be able to enjoy the Falcons winning the division, or would you be fine as long as they win it?

I do hope Atlanta wins the division at this point, but I guess it doesn't seem like much of a victory is what I mean. I hope they manage 8-8 though, or at least 7-9. I would rather another team win it at 7-9 or 8-8 than for Atlanta to win it at 6-10.

I would hope for Atlanta to win their first playoff game if they make the playoffs though. I would love to see the 'no excuses, if its the system its fair' crowd try and defend a 6-10 team deserving a home playoff game, but I don't want to rant about that lol.

Based on history, a 4 seed that has at least 2 fewer wins than the 5 seed team they play usually wins. The 7-9 Seahawks beat the 11-5 Saints in 2010 even. It may be that the 4 seeded teams happened to match up well with the 5 seeds, maybe HFA, perhaps being juiced from having a home playoff game after having a bad year or being overlooked, being under the radar and being able to unveil new things...it's hard to say.

Atlanta probably would have a good chance to win that first game, as would Carolina or New Orleans IMO.

However, I wouldn't want to see a 6-10 team win their second game, even if it's my own. I would not want to see a team that didn't even deserve to make the playoffs advance very far. I likely wouldn't have to worry about it though, the teams that make the playoffs at 7-9/8-8 usually lose soundly in the 2nd round.

Well, the only other options are:

1)the Saints win it and have a home game, which they actually might win because they CAN get hot at any time; or 2) Carolina wins and becomes the first South team to win the division in consecutive years. Since both those scenarios make me want to shove an ice pick through my eyes and soak my head in Tabasco, I'll have to choose option C... Falcons win and go on a freakish Super Bowl run...

As a Saints fan I would be down right embarrassed to go into the Playoffs with only 4-6 wins. UNLESS we pulled out a win (highly doubtful) and went on a postseason run. (I'll be cheering for any south team to go on a postseason run!) But the crap we would have to take, I think I'd rather the Saints fall to last place, get a high draft position, rework the defense, and come back next year as the underdogs!

Well, the only other options are:

1)the Saints win it and have a home game, which they actually might win because they CAN get hot at any time; or 2) Carolina wins and becomes the first South team to win the division in consecutive years. Since both those scenarios make me want to shove an ice pick through my eyes and soak my head in Tabasco, I'll have to choose option C... Falcons win and go on a freakish Super Bowl run...

Falcons may actually win a home playoff game. In truth, if they make the playoffs I see them beating whoever the 5 seed is if they make the playoffs as the 4 seed in a close game..and then getting beat something like 52-10 in the 2nd round on the road.

I wouldn't worry about the Saints winning a home playoff game either. They may very well win a home playoff game, but they aren't likely to go on a run. They, like the Falcons likely would would likely lose soundly in the 2nd round.

The Saints are terrible on the road, even more than they were last year. I'm not really going to mind so much if they win only one playoff game, and in truth it wouldn't even be satisfying to watch them lose in the first round with the record they have.

As a Saints fan I would be down right embarrassed to go into the Playoffs with only 4-6 wins. UNLESS we pulled out a win (highly doubtful) and went on a postseason run. (I'll be cheering for any south team to go on a postseason run!) But the crap we would have to take, I think I'd rather the Saints fall to last place, get a high draft position, rework the defense, and come back next year as the underdogs!

Based on history, one win isn't that unlikely for either NO or ATL IMO in the playoffs, I could see CAR winning one too.

A postseason run beyond that though...that's a different story IMO. If an NFC South team wins a playoff game, Vegas should make it a 25 point spread in favor of the team they face in the 2nd round.

Based on history, one win isn't that unlikely for either NO or ATL IMO in the playoffs, I could see CAR winning one too.

A postseason run beyond that though...that's a different story IMO. If an NFC South team wins a playoff game, Vegas should make it a 25 point spread in favor of the team they face in the 2nd round.

I would be happy with 2 wins. That would be enough to show any of us in the South are/could be serious contenders, better than our record shows, yada- yada- yada. We Are The GIANTS Of The South!!! (With a not as good record) Edited by NawlinsLady

It's ugly man... ugly

But not unexpected. There are certain people that wait for things like this. And I'm not talking color or race. During the Rodney King riots there were all kinds of people hitting up the stores to loot. Just knowing they have an opportunity to get something for nothing is too much to resist. Not only very ugly, but very sad. It's very possible those stores will never come back because of this.

I would be happy with 2 wins. That would be enough to show any of us in the South are/could be serious contenders, better than our record shows, yada- yada- yada. We Are The GIANTS Of The South!!! (With a not as good record)

I disagree that it would show they could be serious contenders. Teams at times can get a bit of a hot streak of a game or 2 in the playoffs without being legitimate contenders.

Some teams are better than their records in certain senses, but overall I generally agree with 'you are what your record says you are' in terms of judging how good a team is. If a team is legitimately elite, they probably wouldn't have managed to lose 9 or more games.

IMO part of being an elite team is winning consistently, many teams have the ability to play like a legitimately elite team on a given day, but if you don't do it consistently IMO your not elite. It's like the Chargers of '13, on a good day they could probably beat anybody...but they didn't play at an elite level consistently.

If Atlanta gets in at say, 6-10 I'm hoping for one win(and I do think it has a good chance)but 2, I'd be pretty surprised.

But not unexpected. There are certain people that wait for things like this. And I'm not talking color or race. During the Rodney King riots there were all kinds of people hitting up the stores to loot. Just knowing they have an opportunity to get something for nothing is too much to resist. Not only very ugly, but very sad. It's very possible those stores will never come back because of this.

It is indeed pretty sad that those businesses suffer in the riots, I could say a lot about that. It is probably true that many people also loot stores because they are taking advantage of the opportunity as opposed to protesting.

I'm reminded of the George Lopez show, where he mentioned something about his mom hoping for the next riot to loot(or something to that tone). She says 'hey, we were fighting for Robbie King's rights'..he says..'I think you mean Rodney'..and she says 'who, the black guy?'..LOL.

I do hope Atlanta wins the division at this point, but I guess it doesn't seem like much of a victory is what I mean. I hope they manage 8-8 though, or at least 7-9. I would rather another team win it at 7-9 or 8-8 than for Atlanta to win it at 6-10.

I would hope for Atlanta to win their first playoff game if they make the playoffs though. I would love to see the 'no excuses, if its the system its fair' crowd try and defend a 6-10 team deserving a home playoff game, but I don't want to rant about that lol.

Based on history, a 4 seed that has at least 2 fewer wins than the 5 seed team they play usually wins. The 7-9 Seahawks beat the 11-5 Saints in 2010 even. It may be that the 4 seeded teams happened to match up well with the 5 seeds, maybe HFA, perhaps being juiced from having a home playoff game after having a bad year or being overlooked, being under the radar and being able to unveil new things...it's hard to say.

Atlanta probably would have a good chance to win that first game, as would Carolina or New Orleans IMO.

However, I wouldn't want to see a 6-10 team win their second game, even if it's my own. I would not want to see a team that didn't even deserve to make the playoffs advance very far. I likely wouldn't have to worry about it though, the teams that make the playoffs at 7-9/8-8 usually lose soundly in the 2nd round.

Screw it I wanna go 6-10 and win the Super Bowl just to spite everyone lol

That's what I keep saying, win the division at 6-10 and make it to the superbowl.

That is all you need to do and I would enjoy the ride because of all the tears and crying of every other fanbase. I'd even root for any team from the NFC Suck.

Say its: 1st GB, 2nd Philly, 3rd Arizona, 4th South, 5th Seattle, 6th Dallas

Now what would funny from the start is that the 4th seed that is 6-10 beats a 11-5 team (Seattle), hope 10-6 Dallas beats a 12-4 Arizona.

2nd seed Philly vs. 4th Seed South

1st seed GB vs. 6th seed Dallas

Dallas > GB

South > Philly

6-10 south team hosts 10-6 Dallas

6-10 South team wins after hosting TWO playoff games out of 3.

The tears would be delightful.

Edited by nola90

I would never want to win a Super Bowl in a year when my team didn't even deserve a playoff spot.

**** that, Superbowl Victory > None

The fact is, if my team is getting in with the shittiest record, I just want to make people cry at this point. People will remember it as the team that went 6-10 and got hot/lucky. I will remember it as the time we got our second trophy in 5 years.

Edited by nola90

That's what I keep saying, win the division at 6-10 and make it to the superbowl.

That is all you need to do and I would enjoy the ride because of all the tears and crying of every other fanbase. I'd even root for any team from the NFC Suck.

Say its: 1st GB, 2nd Philly, 3rd Arizona, 4th South, 5th Seattle, 6th Dallas

Now what would funny from the start is that the 4th seed that is 6-10 beats a 11-5 team (Seattle), hope 10-6 Dallas beats a 12-4 Arizona.

2nd seed Philly vs. 4th Seed South

1st seed GB vs. 6th seed Dallas

Dallas > GB

South > Philly

6-10 south team hosts 10-6 Dallas

6-10 South team wins after hosting TWO playoff games out of 3.

The tears would be delightful.

Lol, is this what some fans here are thinking will happen?

If it did though, that should be enough for a redoing of the system, to at least make it so that the 6-10 tem has to go on the road and win.

If a 6-10 team makes the SB, for me the tears would be tears of travesty lol. Fortunately, the chances of it actually happening are VERY VERY slim.

It worked for the 9-7 Cardinals to get 2 home games as the 4 seed, but that was a very different situation. 6-10 and 9-7 are very different. The Cards were actually a playoff caliber team that year, while they didn't deserve a home playoff game IMO they had a much better shot at being competitive in later rounds.

If a South team makes it to the second round, they likely are down by at least 3 scores by half time. Both ATL and NO are significantly worse on the road than at home, and any delusions they may or may not get from winning their first playoff game(if they do)of actually being a legit contender in the NFC would likely get smashed when they travel to a 1 or 2 seed team's house.

**** that, Superbowl Victory > None

The fact is, if my team is getting in with the shittiest record, I just want to make people cry at this point. People will remember it as the team that went 6-10 and got hot/lucky. I will remember it as the time we got our second trophy in 5 years.

It's likely not much of a worry anyway. If either ATL or NO even keeps a second round game within 2 scores, I'd be surprised

People seem to be forgetting that the playoffs is literally another season. A LOT can happen. You can't win if you can't get in the dance. I would take a division crown at 1-15, as long as we have a CHANCE. I am not sure why so many people are poo-pooing winning the division. 11 teams in the post-season will end their season with a loss. Who's to say a key injury, a fluke play, a weird call doesn't benefit your team. It's POSSIBLE. So, as long as any of that is possible, I will root for my boys to be in the dance. What's the fun in life ALWAYS playing the odds? I will GLADLY take the NFCS title for this year with a losing record.

Agreed. You always want that playoff shot. Anything can happen, but being realistic here.

The saints have 5 games left, 4 winnable games remaining (Pitts is off a bye, at their house, game set and match)...There is only so much "luck", "hope", and "fluke" can do.

If we go 8-8 like we should, then I'm fine with the challenge and would think we have a legitimate shot (We should beat Carolina and ATL at home, we should beat Chicago at their house (they suck worse at home than away...weird), and TB is a tossup, but we are in theory better). Draft pick #15-18 with an 8-8 records + no playoffs. Draft pick #21 if you lose first round, not too bad. An 8-8 Saints team can be competitive enough to win it all imo.

If we go 7-9 like most think, that means we would have lost to Pitt + ****** team (lets be honest, the NFCS sucks and Chicago does too). There's still a relative okay chance, we do lose in VERY cold weather and Chicago is Jeckel/Hyde with how Cutler plays.

Draft pick #11-14 with a 7-9 record + no playoffs. Its wider, but if we barely lost to Pitt+****** team, why not. We could make noise.

If we go 6-10 like it is theoretically possible, that means we would have lost to Pitt+Chicago and either Carolina/ATL at home...or TB on the road...

Draft pick #8-11 with a 6-10 record + no playoffs. 6-10 with 4 wins inside your division that sucks means your team needs more than just luck to win it all. This is 100% ruining your draft positioning and at #8 to #21 (Could be even worse...a 6-10 team wins the WC they pick 25th), that can be the difference between a project that may take half a year or so to put quality play on the field vs. a ready now, all-pro potential player.

Higher draft picks don't necessarily = success. Everyone seems so stuck on drafting high but talent evaluation is far more important. So, what happens if you lose every game from here on out, draft high get yourself a nice Ryan Leaf or Akili Smith? It's possible. Of course, on the other hand you could draft a Ray Lewis. But the point is, draft picks are even less of a sure thing than making the playoffs.