How Many Deep Balls Have Been Thrown On The Money In Mnf

Falconsfilmfan

Ryan Makes it look so hard. Before you flame I don't think we need to get a new QB I just think we should be aware of his limitations. Maybe a bunch of Harry Douglas/ Brandon Cook receivers would serve better than the deep threat jones because Ryan can't hit him deep. Plus jones May or may not catch it

I don't think its about limitations. We just got through complaining that the Falcons ran too many screens a week ago. Look at Ryan's passing numbers the last 5 or 6 weeks, Falcons just have not pushed the ball down field. Then Sunday they try to and the timing/precision is not there. I wonder why? They have not executed it enough.

That being said, I think Ryan just didn't play well yesterday. Again, its a two way street. Don't think he is going to be clicking on all cylinders going deep down field when we have not thrown it down field. Julio's longest reception is 40 yards. That happened in week 3. Falcons have not pushed the ball down field this year. In 2012, Julio had 5 reception's of 40 or more yards in the last 10 weeks of the season. He had 3 over 40 in the first 5 games last year when he was on a torrid pace prior to the injury.

I also feel like Jones sucks at adjusting to the ball/turns around too late to locate it, so if the ball is not on the money, he never gets it.. We also have no other player we go deep to, even tho Hester and Douglas also have some speed. Why is Julio the only one running deep routes?

I don't think its about limitations. We just got through complaining that the Falcons ran too many screens a week ago. Look at Ryan's passing numbers the last 5 or 6 weeks, Falcons just have not pushed the ball down field. Then Sunday they try to and the timing/precision is not there. I wonder why? They have not executed it enough.

That being said, I think Ryan just didn't play well yesterday. Again, its a two way street. Don't think he is going to be clicking on all cylinders going deep down field when we have not thrown it down field. Julio's longest reception is 40 yards. That happened in week 3. Falcons have not pushed the ball down field this year. In 2012, Julio had 5 reception's of 40 or more yards in the last 10 weeks of the season. He had 3 over 40 in the first 5 games last year when he was on a torrid pace prior to the injury.

Don't forget Julio was sick and basically didn't practice last week.

Ryan hasn't looked great this year, lately, and I'm not sure why.

However, there's a huge misconception about the deep ball/WR's responsibilities.

Montana threw the ball 3 or 4 yards over Jerry Rice's shoulder often, but it never looked like a bad throw, because Rice adjusted. Same with Fitzgerald, Moss, AJ Green, etc.

A QB doesn't throw to a specific spot as much as to an area away from the defender. If the WR keeps running straight and turns at the last moment, it becomes a very difficult catch. If the WR adjusts as he runs the route, it looks like the pass was perfectly thrown.

There is no reason to get tall receivers if you have to hit them perfectly in stride for catches. You can get short speedy receivers in the 3rd round for that. You get tall receivers so you can put it away from the defenders, and they'll go up and get the ball. Right now, our offense isn't working that way.

Personally, I'd like to see more balls thrown up for the receiver to make a play (that means slightly short on the deep ball...keeping it in play, instead of slightly long giving no one a chance for it.) It's unfortunately Julio's largest weakness as a receiver (and has been since college) but Roddy's still good at it, and Julio needs to get better at it...with his height and vertical, the ball should be thrown short and let him sky for it most of the time.

I also feel like Jones sucks at adjusting to the ball/turns around too late to locate it, so if the ball is not on the money, he never gets it.. We also have no other player we go deep to, even tho Hester and Douglas also have some speed. Why is Julio the only one running deep routes?

He is just doing what he is taught within this scheme.. Too bad we have a great talent in Julio, and shiat coaches to train him..

Ryan hasn't looked great this year, lately, and I'm not sure why.

However, there's a huge misconception about the deep ball/WR's responsibilities.

Montana threw the ball 3 or 4 yards over Jerry Rice's shoulder often, but it never looked like a bad throw, because Rice adjusted. Same with Fitzgerald, Moss, AJ Green, etc.

A QB doesn't throw to a specific spot as much as to an area away from the defender. If the WR keeps running straight and turns at the last moment, it becomes a very difficult catch. If the WR adjusts as he runs the route, it looks like the pass was perfectly thrown.

There is no reason to get tall receivers if you have to hit them perfectly in stride for catches. You can get short speedy receivers in the 3rd round for that. You get tall receivers so you can put it away from the defenders, and they'll go up and get the ball. Right now, our offense isn't working that way.

Personally, I'd like to see more balls thrown up for the receiver to make a play (that means slightly short on the deep ball...keeping it in play, instead of slightly long giving no one a chance for it.) It's unfortunately Julio's largest weakness as a receiver (and has been since college) but Roddy's still good at it, and Julio needs to get better at it...with his height and vertical, the ball should be thrown short and let him sky for it most of the time.

I think this is just another symptom of our coaches being in over their heads..

There's some blame on the OL as well, as Ryan is a rhythm passer who needs protecition.. He isn't really feeling comfortable back there and hasn't found his rhythm lately..

Yes Brees had some good ones last night but I'll be dayumed he still lost.

Long passes doesn't generate wins. Throw it 5 yards or 50 I don't care...just frigging win.

Some of you just want a flash every now and again but most of us want wins and a super bowl.

Edited by nomak