Mike Smith: Would Change Decisions - Espn

fuego

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons coach Mike Smith indirectly admitted he made a mistake with a late timeout in Sunday's 26-24 loss to Cleveland -- a timeout that helped set up Billy Cundiff's game-winning 37-yard field goal for the Browns.

The blunder occurred with 55 seconds remaining with the Falcons facing third-and-2 from the Browns' 35-yard line. The Falcons could have kept the offense going and forced the Browns to call timeout. Instead, Smith initially said a timeout was called to make certain the right play call was made for third down.

The Falcons failed to convert as Matt Ryan's deep ball to Devin Hester was incomplete, stopping the clock before Matt Bryant's 53-yard field goal.

The Browns then had 44 seconds and three timeouts to set up Cundiff's game winner.

Smith began his Monday news conference by addressing the issue.

"Before I open up for questions, I would like to address the last 55 seconds of the game. After reflecting and analyzing on how that played out, I would have done some things differently, given the opportunity to think about it through the night and doing some analyzing," Smith said. "I didn't do the things that needed to be done to put our guys in the best position to win the game. There's lot of plays in a football game that can affect the outcome, and I didn't do my best to help us win yesterday."

Smith was asked how difficult it was to realize his mistake.

"Again, you go through it and you make decisions and they're made on the fly, and it was a decision that didn't give us the best opportunity to win," Smith said. "And as a coach, it is your intention to always put your players in the best position to win. There were a lot of plays in that game, and it usually comes down to a handful of plays. And I didn't put the guys in the best position."

It was odd for the Falcons not to have a third-and-2 play ready, even despite the pressure of the moment.

"Again, guys, we wanted to get the best, what we felt like was the best play for us," Smith said. "Again, as I mentioned, I didn't do my job as the head football coach and put our guys in the best position that they possibly could be in in that situation. And it's my responsibility as the head coach to make sure that that happens."

Smith remains on the hot seat with the Falcons falling to 4-7 after the loss. Two of those losses have come down to late-game clock management. The Falcons had a similar issue in a 22-21 loss to the Detroit Lions in London.

But the Falcons could move back into a first-place tie in the NFC South if New Orleans (4-6) loses to Baltimore on Monday night. The Falcons are 4-0 in the division, including a 37-34 overtime win over the Saints.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11931598/mike-smith-says-put-atlanta-falcons-best-position-win-cleveland-browns

Edited by fuego

Yea he can dwell on those in January when he's looking for a job.

Realize...that if he doesn't have an absolute coaching meltdown in the Detroit game and this one we're in the midst of a 4 game winning streak and 6-5. Say what you want about the talent but a good coach makes all kinds of difference.

First of I am as disappointed in the timeout as anyone and agree it's time for a coaching change, but people come here and whine that Mike Smith doesn't admit his own mistakes and when he does people still whine. Maybe (half joking) he won't mismanage the clock again but who knows. You can't overcome a problem with out first admitting to it right. The thing that bugs me more than the timeout is the play call and again who is to say Matt didn't see something and check out of the original call to the long pass to Hester?

Listen. The guy has a hard time finding the thoughts he needs to express himself properly. What on earth makes anyone think he would be able to analyze what should be done in pressure situations. It's the premier problem he has. Thought. It's why everything is so scripted. Everything that comes out of his mouth is always the same. He is not competent

This is what pisses me off about this team. You have 3rd and 2, and this team can not scratch out 2 measly ******* yards to save it's life. When was the last time Ryan did a QB sneak off the tackle? If a low percentage pass is what you're thinking, then why not take a delay of game….Anything to eat some clock, or to force Cleveland to take a timeout.

How many times have we seen the Falcons having to play a close game at the end, when they should of been miles ahead? This **** goes back 4 seasons and then some. Get a lead, expand on that lead, and then leave nothing to chance. Instead, it's get a lead and then play conservative and hope for the best. WEAK!

Edited by 4dabirds

The thing that bothers me about what is said is, you really did not have a play set up for 3rd n 2? What coach sends the team out with just one play, I don't think Ryan had the chance to audible if he wanted to,he only does it seems.when we go no huddle.

And ok u call timeout cuz u clearly screwed up during second down not having a play ready to go, so u Waste a TO without letting the clock even run down,, and then call for a deep pass to our #4. #4! WR who can't even catch a pass with no one around,and justify by saying no one expected it lol. Terrible.

Yea he can dwell on those in January when he's looking for a job. Realize...that if he doesn't have an absolute coaching meltdown in the Detroit game and this one we're in the midst of a 4 game winning streak and 6-5. Say what you want about the talent but a good coach makes all kinds of difference.

Like the difference between 6-5 and eating steak, or being 4-7, eating Kentucky Fried Chicken and looking over your shoulder for the Turk.

Listen. The guy has a hard time finding the thoughts he needs to express himself properly. What on earth makes anyone think he would be able to analyze what should be done in pressure situations. It's the premier problem he has. Thought. It's why everything is so scripted. Everything that comes out of his mouth is always the same. He is not competent

This is another blunt, yet true post. I hate saying it. It's just so true.

The thing that bothers me about what is said is, you really did not have a play set up for 3rd n 2? What coach sends the team out with just one play, I don't think Ryan had the chance to audible if he wanted to,he only does it seems.when we go no huddle.

And ok u call timeout cuz u clearly screwed up during second down not having a play ready to go, so u Waste a TO without letting the clock even run down,, and then call for a deep pass to our #4. #4! WR who can't even catch a pass with no one around,and justify by saying no one expected it lol. Terrible.

I want to know what the **** they were doing during the timeout after getting a turnover at midfield and then during the 2 minute warning timeout.

What about his Assistants? Don't the FO have people who keep up with time management, timeouts, a selection of plays for certain situations etc. Come on this is a Professional organization!

But at least he owned up to the buck stops with him and that is the first step. Although that goof received national attention there were plenty of other things why the Falcons loss. No team should be able to take it down field in 44 seconds. We couldn't get ONE STOP. ONE PASS RUSH? MR didn't play his usual game, is he getting gun shy? Has he been hit too much? I know Hagerman has been up and down but he is 6:6 and can JUMP OUT THE gym. Why wasn't he in there in the last 44, would have did better then the vets, couldn't have done worse.

This is one of MS biggest faults, unyielding loyalty to veterans. I would activate Starr or Smith and give them a few snaps. I know Starr has liabilities but he has a motor that keeps coming. Osi and Kroy aren't getting sacks, why not try one of the youngsters for just 2-3 snaps-can't do any worse. Speedy Reedy has break away speed that we miss since A. Smith injury. The whole world knows that Julio is are only deep threat- PLEASE Coach Smith give Speedy Reedy a few snaps. His speed can stretch the field, please TR, the kid can help this team even if it is just to decoy and clear things out.

That's a really good point. That's why it worked early on for us, his scripting and planning are the best things about him. Unfortunately you can script, plan, and forecast all you want, but it's never going to happen like you think it will in this game. That's why we have always sucked in the 3rd quarter, he can't deviate from his plan. It's unfortunate he has molded Matt Ryan in this same way. Ryan with a coach who could think on the fly could be more similar to Brett Favre than Chad Pennington by now, but now he is who he is. A quarterback change might be necessary along with a coaching change.

It took analysis throughout the night for him to realize it was a dumb mistake? REALLY? Everyone else with half a brain and knows as much as PeeWee League football knew it in real time.

An NFL HC must think on his feet. An NFL coach wouldn't even need time to think in that situation. It was too obvious. Mike Smith has proven once again that he does not deserve to be an NFL HC.

Now, enough about Mike Smith. He is, without a doubt, finished as an NFL HC. There is no team that would ever make him HC after that. Now, onto Dimitroff, which is another problem.