Team Needs A Clock Management Assistant

Coach_Petrino

I'm not even joking. This team would have two more wins right now if we just had a clock management assistant that stands by the coach with 5 minutes left in each half and makes all the timeout decisions.

I am willing to take this job myself, since I find myself screaming at the television at the end of pretty much every half of Falcons football. This time, Smith had the right idea in calling the timeout, but it's completely absurd that he didn't let the play clock run all the way down first. Instead we called timeout as fast as we could, as if 55 seconds is not enough time to gain another couple yards before kicking the field goal. Cleveland should've been left with either no time, or only one timeout. Same sort of thing in London.

Another thing that bugs me - When we are trying to save clock on defense, Smith always lets the clock go down to the 2 minute warning before calling a timeout. So if it's 2:15 on the clock, he'll let that run down, then call a timeout the next play. But that's dumb. If you call the timeout at 2:15, then the next play only takes it to 2 minutes. So you've burned the same number of timeouts and have the same number of plays but would be at 2:00 instead of 1:50.

Anyway, where can I apply?

Edited by Coach_Petrino

Honestly, what is the use of even hiring a person to be a head coach if he can't even manage the clock and timeouts correctly by himself?

That is a task that a HC should be able to do.

Well, you've got me there, but the team has decided to go a different route and hire someone who does not know anything about timeouts. That being the case, I'm willing to step in as the Time Outs coach. It's kind of like how some coaches call their own plays, and others hire an offensive coordinator.

Well, you've got me there, but the team has decided to go a different route and hire someone who does not know anything about timeouts. That being the case, I'm willing to step in as the Time Outs coach. It's kind of like how some coaches call their own plays, and others hire an offensive coordinator.

I wonder how do someone even become a time management coach?

It just seems like a really odd position because a good bit of it has to do with basic common sense from a football standpoint..

After the Detroit game, someone should have printed him out a sheet like the one that tells you whether you should go for two or not.

Na seriously, I actually get needing the two-point chart because I know as a coach you've gotta have too many things running through your head to do math, but the timeout thing, you don't have to do the math, its situational football you shouldn't have to even think about.

I do wonder sometimes about both Smith and Richt, that they both seem to be feel I g the pressure of the hot seat. No other way to explain these panicked timeouts.