• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol @ it being fine. Fire you right after they fire Mike Smith

People in this thread are not realizing that the right

call would net us a first down. That would take away

clock management issues at the same time.

The play call was not consistent with the situation we

were in. Perhaps they thought it would fool them but

Instead they failed and fooled themselves. It was an

unnecessary gamble called at a time we should have

been going to our most basic and reliable play to gain

the yardage.

Edited by HOYLE

I think people realize the right call would get a first down. But that doesn't mean you can't call a timeout after letting the clock run down. We saved 30 seconds at least for Browns, or missed a chance to force their timeout.

The "right call" also totally sucked. Although I'll admit Hester was interfered with on the play and that could've won it.

Yes it was the wrong call but no matter what you call you can't guarantee in getting a first down, so you control what you can control and by calling the TO so soon you give them a chance of getting the ball back with plenty of time if you don't get the first down. Like all have said you either make them burn their TOs or you let the clock run down before burning ours. If they burn their TOs and have 40secs and 1 TO left to go 50 yards then that takes some plays off the table. 40secs and all TOs left is a different game completely. In close games you do what you need to do to make sure you have the ball last or at very least make it as difficult as possible for the opposition and we didn't do that, in fact we helped them.

Edited by nevesmetro

Get their heads straight? 3rd and 2...well in Bryant's range. Dude is one of the most accurate kickers from 50+ yards in NFL history and has been absolute money. If Cleveland wants to call a timeout, fine. If not, get up to the line nice and steady, snap it on one, and run it straight up the gut and hope for a first. If you get it, great. If not, line up and kick the FG after Cleveland burns a TO. No excuse to call a timeout.

THIS

Why is this thread 5 pages long? It is NOT debatable. Calling the timeout was NOT fine. Only someone with no knowledge of the game would say otherwise.

You might as well debate whether or not there is a pink elephant in the sky dumping gold bricks. It's a debate not worth having, let alone for 5 pages.

This says something about the intellect of posters on this message board.

We were saving time for US to move closer after we

secured the first down. That makes sense to anybody

with half a brain. So yes it was fine.

Now instead of calling a good play you dial up a high

risk flare downfield? That was the problem.

Even after not using up any time, not getting the first down

and putting extra pressure on Matt Bryant he pops it through

and we have them at their own 20 with 44 seconds. You have

win this game.

We were saving time for US to move closer after we

secured the first down. That makes sense to anybody

with half a brain. So yes it was fine.

Now instead of calling a good play you dial up a high

risk flare downfield? That was the problem.

Even after not using up any time, not getting the first down

and putting extra pressure on Matt Bryant he pops it through

and we have them at their own 20 with 44 seconds. You have

win this game.

I'd say the timeout was okay if you didn't want your kicker to try the 53 yarder. I didn't see the warmups before the game so if he was falling short then it would be understandable to try & save time to move closer. IMO when he called the timeout, he had already made the decision that he would go for the 1st down instead of attempting the FG. It's ironic for a man that coaches a team that has had so many comebacks to win games by a FG at the final second, that he does not see that possibility being done to his team. It happened to him in London, & we all hear that cliche to trust your defense, but even the players know that our defensive unit is not of a Ravens' defense caliber.

Bryant is money.... but 53 yds is a long kick. Picking up the first down and

moving closer was the prudent thing to do. It was not a given at that length.

Throwing a longish pass made no sense, used no time and was a disaster.

Then no need to call a timeout at all if you are going with Bryant. You have come to a game deciding decision at that point. You trust your guy to make the kick? Then you run the 3rd down play & call a timeout if the 1st down was made so then you can move in to a more comfortable range. You not sure if he can make the kick? Call the timeout & run your play & be prepared to go for the 1st down if the 3rd down play is not successful.

If you know there going to get the ball back and the defense sucks why not take as much clock as you can. Its just common sense.

That is exactly why you call time out and get an ideal

play to get the first down. After you get the first down

you burn the time off with running plays. Kick a shorter

field goal and the game is over. You go home. They never

should have gotten the ball back.

If you run the clock down before taking the TO you still have 30plus seconds and timeouts to get closer if you get the first down, that's plenty of time. WE DIDN'T NEED THE EXTRA TIME, we were already in FG range, so should have only been looking for an extra 10-15yards anyway. If you don't get the first down you would have made it harder for them to win, by either taking time off the clock before calling the TO or making them burn their own TOs. Taking the TO then only helped the Browns and in no way helped us. It really is that simple!

That is exactly why you call time out and get an ideal

play to get the first down. After you get the first down

you burn the time off with running plays. Kick a shorter

field goal and the game is over. You go home. They never

should have gotten the ball back.

1st and 10 Run with steven Jackson

3rd and 2 pass with Ryan

No, that makes no sense. It doesn't take a genius to call to get a 1st down. Run the **** ball thats it. They werent even stopping the run so calling a timeout just solidifies the ignorance in time managment

I hear what you saying and I agree but I also don't think that Cleveland will call a timeout if we get it down to 1 second as well. At that point if they haven't called a timeout and we want to, then I don't have a problem with it. That's all I'm saying.

It's not a bad idea to call timeout if it's down to 1 second. It doesn't hurt anything but 1 second.

I don't agree with calling a pass play but I don't mind the timeout at all if it's down to 1 second or 2 seconds.

The whole point is to let Cleveland burn theirs. Have a run play called and run it. That was a smash mouth football moment. And yall say yall want a tough team?? Well that was a tough team moment. NO TIMEOUT!! Line up and beat the man in front you @ss!!!! Period!!! When did football AND the fans get so soft?? Sometimes you gotta line up and not give a rats @ss if the other team knows what's coming. I guarantee they would've called a timeout on the next play. Especially if we got the first down. We could just kneel. I see your point on calling the timeout with 1 second but what yall fail to realize is while we're discussing the best play so are the Browns AND you're giving them a breather after beating them down the field into fg range that THEY didn't call. Where's the warrior mentality on this board man? I think Smitty's mentality has poured over into a lot of fans. Edited by TheFatboi

The whole point is to let Cleveland burn theirs. Have a run play called and run it. That was a smash mouth football moment. And yall say yall want a tough team?? Well that was a tough team moment. NO TIMEOUT!! Line up and beat the man in front you @ss!!!! Period!!! When did football AND the fans get so soft?? Sometimes you gotta line up and not give a rats @ss if the other team knows what's coming. I guarantee they would've called a timeout on the next play. Especially if we got the first down. We could just kneel. I see your point on calling the timeout with 1 second but what yall fail to realize is while we're discussing the best play so are the Browns AND you're giving them a breather after beating them down the field into fg range that THEY didn't call. Where's the warrior mentality on this board man? I think Smitty's mentality has poured over into a lot of fans.

Smitty's mentality is to run the ball down people's throats. That is why I find it hard

to believe the play we wound up running was a pass down the field. If Ryan was on his

own on that, Smitty has done a good job of not throwing him under the bus. That play

coupled with inept defense cost us the game. The play we ran made the timeout look

stupid.

Smitty's mentality is to run the ball down people's throats. That is why I find it hard

to believe the play we wound up running was a pass down the field. If Ryan was on his

own on that, Smitty has done a good job of not throwing him under the bus. That play

coupled with inept defense cost us the game. The play we ran made the timeout look

stupid.

The timeout was stupid period bro. And I agree about the call to pass it on 3rd and 2. It's a classic example of them outsmarting themselves when all they had to do was K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid. That was a smash mouth moment and they got cute. It doesn't matter that the Browns knew they might run. If you want to fool them run a FB dive. The main thing was we were in control of the situation and we handed it to them. Instead WE stopped the clock twice. even Smitty says he would've done things differently AFTER the fact. He panics in those situations. But he's always been a nervous type person to me and it comes out in games. The Browns ended up using all 3 timeouts and only one spike. You absolutely have no business calling a timeout in that situation. None!! Play smash mouth football.