Guest Homer the Brave

It was a 3rd and 2 for god's sake.........................Are you telling me you can't run 2 plays to gain 2 yards total?????????? THIS IS 4th DOWN TERRITORY

Don't agree with this. With the clock running down, in Matt Bryant's range and being behind, you don't risk going for it on 4th down.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Homer the Brave

If you're going to call a timeout to "get everyone's heads on right," how about letting the clock wind down first???

Yeah, there was about 20 seconds on the play clock when he called it... And they still didn't get there heads on right. Edited by Jobko57

Nobody says calling TO was wrong; calling TO with time left on the play clock was wrong. Come on man, are we seriously debating this?!!!!

If you execute on 3rd down and get the first you then

have time to move closer and make the field goal more

of a certainty.

They did something on the play that really made no sense

unless it was wide open due to a blown coverage or something.

Although we will probably never know the real answer to this but is it possible Ryan changed that 3rd down play at the line based on something he saw in Cleveland's formation?

If he did he cost us the game.

When you consider they took time out and

thought about it and this is what they came up with

In this situation it is very troubling.

Edited by HOYLE

Although we will probably never know the real answer to this but is it possible Ryan changed that 3rd down play at the line based on something he saw in Cleveland's formation?

Always a fair question. Ryan isn't 100 percent absolved of blame for that play at all. I think regardless he should've handed the ball off or even scrambled for it. Either way focus on getting the first while at all costs keeping the clock rolling.

No, the timeout at the end of the first half, that's when I agreed, "I don't like the TO here, but it did work to make sure they got the points".But clearly he should have never called the timeout at the end. You just have to make Cleveland call it or run time off, but if you do feel the need to call a timeout and get your ducks in a row:1) At least run down some time first or make them call it. With 3 timeouts and only needing a field goal that you're already in range for, why would you possibly need 55 seconds?2) If you're going to make that bold call for a timeout, you have to call something that's going to ensure that the clock keeps running. Run, sweep, screen, short easy completion, it has to be a high percentage play, and being in Bryant's range, really no reason to even take it off the ground.Plus I don't know why we even have Steven Jackson if you're not going to run him when you need a yard and a half.1)

No Screens! Not in that situation.

If he did he cost us the game.

When you consider they took time out and

thought about it and this is what they came up with

In this situation it is very troubling.

That's why you don't take a timeout. You line up and play smash mouth football in the situation. Either I'm going to beat you or you're going to beat me and I don't care if you know what's coming. Classic situation of outsmarting yourself. Force them to call a timeout and use THAT timeout to choose a play. If not line up and run it. If you don't get it drain the clock some more and force a timeout from them. Kick the fg and win the game. They used ALL three timeouts and one spike. Ridiculous!!

That's why you don't take a timeout. You line up and play smash mouth football in the situation. Either I'm going to beat you or you're going to beat me and I don't care if you know what's coming. Classic situation of outsmarting yourself. Force them to call a timeout and use THAT timeout to choose a play. If not line up and run it. If you don't get it drain the clock some more and force a timeout from them. Kick the fg and win the game. They used ALL three timeouts and one spike. Ridiculous!!

ABSOLUTELY. This is a no-brainer to me. If we can think of this "on the fly" tell me how an NFL HEAD COACH can't………

Situational football. You just don't call a timeout. You put the pressure on them. We could've gotten 2 timeouts out of them if we run the clock down on 3rd. At least one. And all of a sudden yall don't have faith in Matt getting is in a good play out of no huddle? It got us down there in the first place. Best thing to do period was run the d@mn ball and keep the clock moving. I would've even given the ball to the fullback to throw Cleveland off. You just didn't need to burn a timeout at all. I have a problem with the timeout because it showed weakness and that we were scared. They punked us because Smith punked out.

Besides that 45 seconds isn't enough time to huddle up and get in a advantageous play? We didn't need extra for a PASS play that stopped the clock again. Run it. Period.

I hear what you saying and I agree but I also don't think that Cleveland will call a timeout if we get it down to 1 second as well. At that point if they haven't called a timeout and we want to, then I don't have a problem with it. That's all I'm saying.

It's not a bad idea to call timeout if it's down to 1 second. It doesn't hurt anything but 1 second.

I don't agree with calling a pass play but I don't mind the timeout at all if it's down to 1 second or 2 seconds.

Edited by ATLFalcons11
Guest Homer the Brave

Smitty himself said he called for a pass because the look their defense was giving them was to defend against a run... Well yeah, like everyone watching the game was thinking a run is the best decision here, except for Smitty. Didn't we get SJax for that very reason, to get those 2 yards when we need them?

What Smidiot did was essentially give the Browns 3 time outs. 1 when he called the time out obviously. The other two were a result of calling thee time out and NOT running the ball. If he does not call the time out then the Browns HAVE to use one to stop the clock. You run the ball and that keeps the clock running before the field goal attempt which either bleeds the clock or forces the Browns to use a 2nd time out leaving them with only one and in all likelihood 20 seconds to drive into field goal range. Smidiot needs to be kicked in the teeth for such horrible clock management.

The only way calling the timeout was fine was if you had already made up your mind to not attempt a FG but go for the 1st down on 4th down. When he called the timeout I thought something was wrong with Bryant or maybe he didn't want to go for such a long try. But when he sent Bryant out there instead of keeping the offense on the field, I knew we would lose the game. Clearly, the only way Atlanta was going the win that game yesterday with Smith coaching was going to be by winning by more than a FG.

there was absolutely NO reason to call a timeout, falcons were already in Bryants filed goal range! they werent playing for a TD, didnt need it, they were playing for a field goal! first down didnt mean CRAP if you ran the clock down. there was no need for the "right call". and just for the record the "PASS" was the most stupid thing they did....alot of bad thing could have happened on that on play, a sack would have been detrimental, and interception would be too. what if the ball was knocked out or Ryans hands??? only one godd thing could have come from the call, a first down and the clock stops, so they have to run three more plays to get to the same result.

people this was Basic football 101....3 and 2 from the 32, already in scoring range. 55 seconds left, walk to the line of scrimage, run the clock down , then either QB up the middle, or Jackson up the middle, if we get a first down great, if not kick the ball with very little time on the clock, and Cleveland was forced to use their time outs along the way. even little league coaches could have pull this off...

Edited by newgafatboy