• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get their heads straight? 3rd and 2...well in Bryant's range. Dude is one of the most accurate kickers from 50+ yards in NFL history and has been absolute money. If Cleveland wants to call a timeout, fine. If not, get up to the line nice and steady, snap it on one, and run it straight up the gut and hope for a first. If you get it, great. If not, line up and kick the FG after Cleveland burns a TO. No excuse to call a timeout.

If after 11 games into the season this team still needs a time out to understand the significance of the down-and-distance situation, then, they're in worse shape than I thought.

Honestly I don't mind that. Call a good play...fine. But why not run the game clock down? I mean it makes no sense. The most conservative lost all his marbles and went balls deep aggressive at the ABSOLUTE worst time. He doesn't know where his head is at these days.

Managed properly, here are the scenarios that would have unfolded:

1) Don't call timeout, Cleveland doesn't. Clock runs down, call timeout. Go for the first any way you want to. Kick fg, they have next to no time on the clock, if any depending on the result of the play.

2) Don't call timeout, Cleveland does. Run the ball to try and get the first. Don't get it, Cleveland calls timeout 2. They get the ball back with roughly 40-45 seconds and one timeout left.

3) Call the timeout. Run the ball on third down to get the first. They call timeout. Kick fg. They get the ball with 44 seconds and only two timeouts.

Any of these three scenarios is better than what we did. Short of using our timeouts for them while they were on offense to help them out, I don't know how we could've managed it worse. I get the idea of wanting to get closer, but when has Smith ever been concerned with that above all else with Bryant from the 35 and in?

The third and 2 play sounds like they may have had two plays in mind and went with one depending on the look they gave. They press man blitzed all day in those situations. Why we didn't have a better play called knowing they were going to bring a blitz, I'll never know..

That being said, it shouldn't have mattered.

Nope.

Wait till time is almost up. If the Browns don't use their TO, then use yours to avoid the delay of game.

Then call a running play. If you get the 1st down, great, but not the point. Just let more time come off the clock.

Even if they don't use their timeouts, and you use 2 of yours, you've left them with so little time, that a come back is nothing more than an ill fated hail mary attempt.

There's no logical scenario where calling the timeout makes sense.

If you wanted time to gather your thoughts, let the clock run because the Browns will inevitably call a timeout, then you'll have time to gather your thoughts.

If they don't, wait for the game clock to run for about 30 more seconds and THEN call YOUR timeout. You have all the time in the world to gather your thoughts and you'll burn about 25 seconds off the clock in the process.

Also, as you said, don't throw the **** ball. I trust SJax getting 3 yards (only 3 yards) more so than I trust us converting on 3rd with a pass to HESTER.

Edited by likeriver

Managed properly, here are the scenarios that would have unfolded:

1) Don't call timeout, Cleveland doesn't. Clock runs down, call timeout. Go for the first any way you want to. Kick fg, they have next to no time on the clock, if any depending on the result of the play.

2) Don't call timeout, Cleveland does. Run the ball to try and get the first. Don't get it, Cleveland calls timeout 2. They get the ball back with roughly 40-45 seconds and one timeout left.

3) Call the timeout. Run the ball on third down to get the first. They call timeout. Kick fg. They get the ball with 44 seconds and only two timeouts.

Any of these three scenarios is better than what we did. Short of using our timeouts for them while they were on offense to help them out, I don't know how we could've managed it worse. I get the idea of wanting to get closer, but when has Smith ever been concerned with that above all else with Bryant from the 35 and in?

The third and 2 play sounds like they may have had two plays in mind and went with one depending on the look they gave. They press man blitzed all day in those situations. Why we didn't have a better play called knowing they were going to bring a blitz, I'll never know..

That being said, it shouldn't have mattered.

This ^so much this. its like football 101 how a head coach went so badly in another direction is crazy

Not only was the timeout stupid, but THEN they effed up what they said they took the timeout to do "make sure we got the right play." In that situation, there is no way in hail should they have to call a timeout to decide on a Play. It's ridiculously basic football. Besides that, any play in the whole play book was better than what Dlck Cutter called. As a matter of fact, that bubble screen to Julio we all hate would probably have gotten the 1st.