Does This Change Anybody's Mind With The Td Vs Smitty Debate?

Idk.... Now im questioning every Smith decision lol.

Maybe he's responsible for all the way too early draft picks.

TD!!! Holmes is around! Let's take him!

Smith it's not the time for that....

Td!!! If we don't take him someone else will!!!

I feel like a lot of people are discounting this possibility. I feel like TD picks the high value ones (Trufant, Spoon, MR, etc...) and he will hit and miss... but I have a hard time believing our HC has NO say in our draft picks, especially in the later rounds. Might explain why we didn't take a 3-4 edge rusher till the 7th round of the 2014 draft.

I thought both of them should be fired prior to this season, but right now I would only be pissed off if Smitty is given another year. I don't really care one way or the other on Dimitroff, but I'm not 100% convinced that he is out of his depth and needs to go immediately. A decent HC would have us at 6-5 minimum. Possibly 7-4.

I feel like a lot of people are discounting this possibility. I feel like TD picks the high value ones (Trufant, Spoon, MR, etc...) and he will hit and miss... but I have a hard time believing our HC has NO say in our draft picks, especially in the later rounds. Might explain why we didn't take a 3-4 edge rusher till the 7th round of the 2014 draft.

Exactly. Smith and Nolan have input. And Smith has a LOT of input I'm sure.

I'm still where I was before.

We can't fully analyze TD when the coaching is such a problem. Smith is surely a goner. TD probably deserves more time. I know people hate the way he has handled past players and etc but no one can say for sure that TD is mainly responsible for this collapse. Smith is definitely out of excuses.

well I know that Trufant and Alford were TD and Nolan guys. They actually flew to Southeastern Louisiana on Arthur Blank's plane to meet with Alford and I believe that they did the same for Tru. If I'm not mistaken they flew Tru in. I think it's kind of silly to think that Smith and the other coaches have absolutely no input in the draft.

I've felt the same way since the Chicago game...

If I HAD to choose one it would be Smith.

I thought he lost the team that game and there's NO excuse to lose 2 games almost the same way with clock management issues.

And the strange thing is he used to be the master of the 2 minute drill but now it's like he's a deer in headlights.

And the strange thing is he used to be the master of the 2 minute drill but now it's like he's a deer in headlights.

He wasn't the mind behind the 2-minute drill, though. A successful 2-minute drill rests heavily on player execution. According to most here, Smith doesn't even call the plays.

There's NEVER an excuse for a coach to lose his team a game simply because of idiotic clock management. NEVER. Smith has done it twice just this season. I think this issue goes way way back too. I don't think it's anything new. I think this goes back even further than our last minute loss to San Fran in the NFCCG. People say Smith needs to leave more of a mark on his team. THIS is his mark. I swear It's like he's truly in over his head. Like, he just really can't keep up with in game management. There was a time when I would've tried finding doubt to give him the benefit of. This is different. There's no doubting what happened yesterday. Zero. Smith screwed his team out of a win. Period.

He wasn't the mind behind the 2-minute drill, though. A successful 2-minute drill rests heavily on player execution. According to most here, Smith doesn't even call the plays.

I don't mean playcalling I meant managing the 2 minute drill.

He was much better than he's been the last season. He wasn't perfect by far but he wasn't blowing games like he's done recently.

Doesnt change my mind one bit. I have said from Day 1 that the problem was both.

Lack of depth = TD

Lack of developed talent = Smith

BOTH.

Agreed. Smith may be a bonehead coach but no forgiveness can be given for the terrible contracts (Baker, Edwards, Kroy, Robinson) and terrible draft picks that has left this roster bare that TD has made. Even with input from the coaches he has to take responsibility. BOTH need to go!

There's NEVER an excuse for a coach to lose his team a game simply because of idiotic clock management. NEVER. Smith has done it twice just this season. I think this issue goes way way back too. I don't think it's anything new. I think this goes back even further than our last minute loss to San Fran in the NFCCG. People say Smith needs to leave more of a mark on his team. THIS is his mark. I swear It's like he's truly in over his head. Like, he just really can't keep up with in game management. There was a time when I would've tried finding doubt to give him the benefit of. This is different. There's no doubting what happened yesterday. Zero. Smith screwed his team out of a win. Period.

I'm going to start a "Mike Smith Media Tour" thread later today or tomorrow. It will contain as many articles as I can find about Mike Smith's fall. There will be a lot of discussion about his past failures.

SPOILER ALERT: An article was written recently that suggested Smith has become the most conservative 4th down coach in the league since the Giants PO game.

I have never been an advocate of firing anyone. NEVER. I try to avoid negativity as much as I can. But this time, I will. Smitty needs to be fired or this trend will continue. TD will have one "Get out of Jail, Free" card for one year. If a new coach can't turn the Falcons around next year, he will be gone too. Too much at stake, the Stadium, the PSL... AB is a business man.

It is soooo heartbreaking.........I'm still not over-reacting, YET.

I'm indifferent on TD. He's made more bad moves than good ones, but you can see glimmers of talent shine through on a lot of these guys.

There is no question that Smith will be gone after this year. At the end of the day, this team is a business, and a guy like Mike Smith makes your product look bad.

I don't mean playcalling I meant managing the 2 minute drill.

He was much better than he's been the last season. He wasn't perfect by far but he wasn't blowing games like he's done recently.

Understood but I still have to disagree. Granted he wasn't this bad in the past but he's blatantly blowing it now. The 2 minute drill of Falcons past was a great attribute of Ryan at the time. A lot of those last minute victories came at the hands of Mike Smith starting to run clock half way into the third quarter. Second half collapses and conservatism has been a staple of Mike Smith since day one. It is the oldest complaint.

Smith wasn't the master of the 2 minute drill. He was, in a lot of cases, the CAUSE of it.

As one poster so eloquently put it recently, it's hard to accurately critique the cracks in the walls, when the house is on fire.

I'll stick to what I've said before. I think that TD deserves another shot, with Pioli, with another HC. Give him a short extension (since his contract expires this year also), hire a competent coach, and let's see if things get better. I'm just not inclined to throw the tub out with the bath water, especially when it has become this obvious that the coaching is holding us back.

I have never been an advocate of firing anyone. NEVER. I try to avoid negativity as much as I can. But this time, I will. Smitty needs to be fired or this trend will continue. TD will have one "Get out of Jail, Free" card for one year. If a new coach can't turn the Falcons around next year, he will be gone too. Too much at stake, the Stadium, the PSL... AB is a business man. It is soooo heartbreaking.........I'm still not over-reacting, YET.

I wish that I had more likes for this post. Well put.