Yes, Smitty Has To Go But Let's Not Forget.....

what he did for this franchise! Whatever has happened these last two seasons we do owe the man a debt of gratitude for the five seasons before that and the fact that he brought respectability and stability to this franchise. It's important to realize that all the negative press about the Falcons the last two seasons has been brought about partially by the fact that this type of meltdown was unexpected, at least in the regular season anyway. Years ago seasons like these would have just been passed off as "same ole Falcons" and the national media would not have batted an eye.

There are a lot of negative post about Smitty on this board and rightfully so but some are bordering on disrespect. Let's not go there. Flame if you will but the man does deserve a certain amount of respect on his way out. Thanks for the good memories coach and sorry that it has to end this way but it does. Now it's just time for AB to go ahead and pull the trigger. Hopefully he pulls it on TD to. Total clean out Arthur...nothing else will do.

Edited by Falc_Fan_Since_Six

I have no problem looking back on the Mike Smith years and feeling pretty satisfied. He had a successful tenure overall.

But I'd rather let nostalgia take care of that for me in 5-10 years. Don't really feel like doing it now.

That's fine...I get that... but some of the disrespect being shown to man that brought this team to respectability is just wrong. That's all I'm saying. I'm sitting here waiting for the word he's been let go just as much as everyone else is and I will feel a great sense of relief when it happens but I'm not going to be mean about it.

Edited by Falc_Fan_Since_Six

That's fine...I get that... but some of the disrespect being shown to man that brought this team to respectability is just wrong. That's all I'm saying. I'm sitting here waiting for the word he's been let go just as much as everyone else is and I will feel a great sense of relief when it happens but I'm not going to be mean about it.

Eh...I can't blame them.

The failure is most recent, so it stings the most.

And the failure has been an active process...not just a lack of success. This isn't the first time that we gave a game away. I'm fine getting beat....I'm not fine beating ourselves. And since 2011, we've been trying to beat ourselves.

That's fine...I get that... but some of the disrespect being shown to man that brought this team to respectability is just wrong.

Respectable? How long have we been considered "soft" under him? How long have we watched us plss away games in the second half? Sure, he's done okay, but I genuinely believe that a better coach could've had us playing for the Lombardi in 2012. He's been a decent head coach but at the end of the day, he has let the game pass him by. His calls, whether it be personnel or in game decisions, have cost this team quite a bit during his tenure. He was done after 2012, and this team should've never given him a pass after 2013. Either way, he brought us out of the cellar, only to put us right back. It makes me wonder what the team could've been with a different coach.

What did he achieve?

Where the Lombardi at?

My Lord some of you people! What did he achieve? You are not really asking that with a straight face are you? There is no Lombardi, granted. Doesn't mean he did nothing! He took a moribund franchise that had just suffered the embarassment of a QB involved in dog fighting scandal and a scumbag coach ditching it in the middle of the night and brought it instant respectability by piloting it to a winning season and a playoff appearance. Then he followed that up by taking the franchise that had never had back to back winning seasons and delivering that. Something no other coach in the franchises history was able to do, not even Dan Reeves. Five winning seasons in a row is no small achievement, especially for the Falcons. I swear some of you must have only been watching this team the last two years or else you've forgotten all the years of absolute futility before Smitty and TD got here. He's taken this team as far as he can and it's definitely time for a change but to act like he never did a thing for this team is ridiculous!

Respectable? How long have we been considered "soft" under him? How long have we watched us plss away games in the second half? Sure, he's done okay, but I genuinely believe that a better coach could've had us playing for the Lombardi in 2012. He's been a decent head coach but at the end of the day, he has let the game pass him by. His calls, whether it be personnel or in game decisions, have cost this team quite a bit during his tenure. He was done after 2012, and this team should've never given him a pass after 2013. Either way, he brought us out of the cellar, only to put us right back. It makes me wonder what the team could've been with a different coach.

How long have you been following the Falcons?? Maybe you're to young to remember what this team was like back in the Dan Henning and Marion Campbell days but I'm not. A thousand times yes, Mike Smith brought this team respectability over what it had been in the past.

Respectable? How long have we been considered "soft" under him? How long have we watched us plss away games in the second half? Sure, he's done okay, but I genuinely believe that a better coach could've had us playing for the Lombardi in 2012. It makes me wonder what the team could've been with a different coach.

We've got the calibre of players that would perform a lot better had our coaching staff not turned into garbage

Have you seen or heard the way people talk about us lately!?? We are again the laughingstock of the NFL... NOBODY cares about the righting of the ship six years ago... they care about the now. And now we are a laughingstock. AGAIN. So Smith took us from laughingstock to laughingstock with a few years of respectability sprinkled in. BFD

I give up. I'm obviously trying to argue with a group of people who are operating from a standpoint of ignorance. Not your fault you are either too young to remember what this franchise was once like or for whatever reason you've chosen to forget what it was like. We can all agree that Smith needs to go, I'm hoping it happens today but I doubt it will till the end of the season. Beyond that how people can sit here and not give the man begrudging credit for what he did for this team is a mystery to me. Y'all have a nice day.

I give up. I'm obviously trying to argue with a group of people who are operating from a standpoint of ignorance. Not your fault you are either too young to remember what this franchise was once like or for whatever reason you've chosen to forget what it was like. We can all agree that Smith needs to go, I'm hoping it happens today but I doubt it will till the end of the season. Beyond that how people can sit here and not give the man begrudging credit for what he did for this team is a mystery to me. Y'all have a nice day.

Aww go kick rocks just because we don't all agree with you. He found us in the gutter and he's leaving us in the gutter with a few seasons of respectability sprinkled in. Reeves did that. Glanville did that, June Jones did that... I've watched this franchise for years and poured money, heart and soul into more 3-13 seasons than I care to count, so don't give us your self righteous babble about credit for a few winning seasons... he's turned us into the laughingstock of the NFL... exactly where we started with him.

Aww go kick rocks just because we don't all agree with you. He found us in the gutter and he's leaving us in the gutter with a few seasons of respectability sprinkled in. Reeves did that. Glanville did that, June Jones did that... I've watched this franchise for years and poured money, heart and soul into more 3-13 seasons than I care to count, so don't give us your self righteous babble about credit for a few winning seasons... he's turned us into the laughingstock of the NFL... exactly where we started with him.

I really could care less whether you agree with me or not. Not my problem if you want to be wrong.biggrin.png There just comes a point where an argument is pointless and becomes a waste of time. Especially when it's obvious that the people you are arguing with don't have the same point of reference as you do. I have forty six years of watching this franchise so my viewpoint is markedly different from those who don't have that kind of "sample size"..... I'll just agree to disagree with you. As I said, have a nice day!

Grey Wolf is the best coach this franchise has had other than Dan Reeves arguably (IMO Smitty was better). His problem was his heart and will gave out after 2012 IMO. It's time to move on.

IMO, everything started to go south after we went "explosive." I think Smith's 'wheelhouse' is pound the ball, play action pass, and play defense. Once we went away from that, he didn't know what to do with himself.

Thing is- that doesn't explain the game/clock management issues, which a coach with those preferences should be good at.