Let's Talk About What Is Really Unfortunate About The Smith Situation

HolyMoses

The man has unquestioned integrity. He has been the shining face of this Franchise since 2008. He has lead the team through seven years of unparalleled success and with almost no front office/player controversies or distractions.

He took over a franchise that was in utter shambles and brought immediate playoff contention. When no one, NO ONE, in football gave him a chance.

He is a fine man. He is a great coach.

But something has happened. He had "it" and he has now lost "it". Hopefully, he will find "it" again, but it is now inevitable that he will have to find "it" with another franchise.

So what is sad is that this fine, decent man will have a legacy as a guy who cost this team the playoffs for making clock management decisions that can only be described as . . . . compromised. [Actually, they could be described in many other terms, but I'll just go with "compromised" for now.] He is being and will be mocked, ridiculed and humiliated. His recent actions merit that, but as a man, he doesn't deserve it.

He has earned better from all of us.

I've been guilty of piling on myself, but I'll try to heed my own advice.

Edit: Just to clarify. I completely agree that he has to go. I just think we can be respectful about the whole situation.

Besides, we know what he has in him, and he's going to be in the NFL again. I don't want to piss him off.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing personal against him & I agree he is a great coach & in the future he should be honored in the organization. However, anyone that sits in the captain's chair will get the heat when decisions they make go wrong. Coaches get blamed when players make the errors (Look at Schottenheimer's last playoff loss) and so they will really catch flack for when a decision or action they make personally is totally boneheaded. It was not a player on the field that called that timeout. It was all on him.

The whole "as a man" talk is stupid.

This is a business.

Would you keep a hair stylist who gaps your hair every time, but is a great person? No.

No, but if they had done a great job for me for many years, I wouldn't trash him when it was time to replace him.

That's my point. He has to go, but we can be respectful about it.

Hes earned everything he's getting. You cant even blame the players.

What he did is equivalent to driving 80 mph straight into a phone pole. It's all your fault.... Even if you're a great driver you still look like an idiot

I'm starting to think Smitty suffers from mild panic attacks during games now.

He needs help.

I started another thread like this before I saw this one. Mike Smith has to go, don't think anyone will disagree with that anymore but I am saddened to see some of the disrespect that is cropping up on this board. He did a lot for this franchise and some of the stuff I'm seeing posted where people are calling him names and saying things like "F**k off Mike Smith" are uncalled for.

I'm just sad that we ignored his shortcomings because the team was able to bail him out before. Then I think about how we could have been to the Superbowl in at least one of those years and then I don't feel sorry for the millionaire. He got his money, we got our Atlanta Brave-ish tenure for the Falcons and now just get him out of here. The sooner the better.

I disagree vehemently....we owe him the respectability of this franchise. He's obviously done all he can and taken it as far as he can but to say we don't owe him anything is just stupid.

Seems like folks are revealing a lot more about there own character than anything else on this topic . . .

The man has unquestioned integrity.

So what is sad is that this fine, decent man will have a legacy as a guy who cost this team the playoffs ...

And please save me the nice, decent guy with integrity speech. If he was decent and had integrity, he would accept the responsibility for costing his players at least two games, not by empty words at a press conference, but by first admitting his mistakes, and then delegating time management to anther coach. Instead he insists, and always has insisted, that his decisions were right, by trying to justify them.

I disagree vehemently....we owe him the respectability of this franchise. He's obviously done all he can and taken it as far as he can but to say we don't owe him anything is just stupid.

Yeah? What did he do for you personally?

Go pack for him. Carry his luggage. Wipe his butt. I don't care. The team was always overcoming his mistakes even during the winning years. I want my team to win a Superbowl. Being the Atlanta Braves of the NFL might be fun for you, but not everyone carries the same sympathy for a LB coach that got a free ride as a HC and blamed everyone but himself and never adjusted.

Seems like folks are revealing a lot more about there own character than anything else on this topic . . .

Awww, poor Mike Smith. Someone I don't know personally and won't pretend to know. Someone who will never care what any of us have to say. *crocodile tear*

Smith is indeed a very likeable person and one who has brought some very good years to this franchise. But the team has grown and changed. It basically outgrew him and now needs someone with a new vision and a new plan to take them to the next level. There is no need for sorrow or sadness. This is a business and Mike Smith has gotten to enjoy the full fruits of it financially and professionally for six years. He's had a good run and he benefited greatly from his time here. I certainly wish him well, but I'm looking forward to the future with a new HC in charge.

The man has unquestioned integrity. He has been the shining face of this Franchise since 2008. He has lead the team through seven years of unparalleled success and with almost no front office/player controversies or distractions.

He took over a franchise that was in utter shambles and brought immediate playoff contention. When no one, NO ONE, in football gave him a chance.

He is a fine man. He is a great coach.

But something has happened. He had "it" and he has now lost "it". Hopefully, he will find "it" again, but it is now inevitable that he will have to find "it" with another franchise.

So what is sad is that this fine, decent man will have a legacy as a guy who cost this team the playoffs for making clock management decisions that can only be described as . . . . compromised. [Actually, they could be described in many other terms, but I'll just go with "compromised" for now.] He is being and will be mocked, ridiculed and humiliated. His recent actions merit that, but as a man, he doesn't deserve it.

He has earned better from all of us.

I've been guilty of piling on myself, but I'll try to heed my own advice.

Edit: Just to clarify. I completely agree that he has to go. I just think we can be respectful about the whole situation.

Besides, we know what he has in him, and he's going to be in the NFL again. I don't want to piss him off.

Touchy, feely bed-wetting liberal....tongue.pngwink.png