Mmqb Goat Of The Week

dmo_dlo

Surprise!!

Mike Smith, head coach, Atlanta. Third-and-two at the Cleveland 35, 55 seconds left, Atlanta down 23-21. Falcons call timeout at the start of the play clock. Smith had a choice here, with a very good field-goal kicker, Matt Bryant: Let the play clock run down to about 30 seconds, call the timeout, then try to convert the third down; or call the timeout immediately, which would be smart only if you are trying to get the ball way downfield. No reason, in my opinion, to stop the clock with 55 seconds to go. None. Now, the Browns may have used a timeout here; if they did, so be it. But maybe they don’t, and if they don’t, Atlanta snaps with maybe 30 seconds to play, throws the incompletion (a shaky call there by offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter, instead of a run), and then there’s 24 seconds left, and then you kick the field goal. Atlanta makes the field goal, kicks off, and Cleveland takes over at its 20 with 19 seconds and three timeouts left. The Browns would have had all three timeouts left, in this scenario. Three plays to make 45 yards, or two plus time for a field goal. In other words, a very slim chance for Cleveland to move into position and win. All of this is arguable, of course. But under any scenario, that was a dumb timeout by Mike Smith, and it’s the second time this year (Oct. 26 versus Detroit in London, a 24-23) when bad late-game management cost the Falcons a win.

And earlier in the column:

I can’t see how Mike Smith survives. The Falcons have gone from hosting the NFC Championship Game 22 months ago to losing 20 of their last 28. Who knows? If Baltimore beats New Orleans tonight, the 4-7 Falcons remain tied for first place in the NFC South, one of the worst divisions in NFL history. It wouldn’t be stunning if the division winner is below .500. In fact, it might be more surprising if the division champ is .500 or better. But Smith’s clock management was poor again Sunday (he made strategic mistakes in the bizarre last-second loss to the Lions in London a month ago), which I’ll detail in Goat of the Week below (hint, hint). When Arthur Blank ran Home Depot, I hear he was very fair, but very bottom-line. Smith is a wonderful person, but barring a turnaround by the team and the coach getting a masters in Clock Management, I can’t see him staying on the job past December.

This sums it up. Clear example of fool me once, fool me twice.

How tf you do not learn from the obvious mistake in London is beyond ridiculous. And what's even worse is his dumb timeout call in the first half. The objective is to force the other team to use their timeouts in those situations.

We were actually saved a few times by Pettine's bad clock management as well.

But here's the kicker.....no pun intended; why do you try to ice the kicker in the 1st half on a 60 yard fg, but not when the game is on the line in the final seconds? You would think out of all the times to use a timeout it would have been then.

The guy doesn't learn period. He has always had the same issues. Nothing has changed other than the fact that the last second miracle wins aren't happening. He is indecisive. That's who he is as a person. He is not aggressive, he stutters, he mumbles, he is shy. I'm sorry but these are not qualities that a leader possesses. He has never been a good head coach, he has been bailed out by Matt Ryan, Tony Gonzalez, Matt Bryant, etc. it's ridiculous the amount of talent he had over the years. He managed to take a team that should have won at least one Super Bowl and turn it into a team that got repeatedly pulverized in the playoffs.

The Browns would have called a timeout is sort of exactly the point. Make them call a timeout. Make them use THEIR resources.

Then, run the ******* ball.

Why are we setting teams up with maximum resources to make a come back?

Even with the timeout, if they had run the ball on 3rd and 2, they still win the game- either a bunch of time goes off the clock or the Browns use a timeout. might have actually made the first down, sigh.

The Browns would have called a timeout is sort of exactly the point. Make them call a timeout. Make them use THEIR resources.

How else could Smitty tip his cap to them if he doesn't give them every chance to win??

In that scenario, the browns would've had 1 timeout left with around 20 or so seconds left.

In that scenario, the browns would've had 1 timeout left with around 20 or so seconds left.

3rd and 2 Falcons ball :55 left

Timeout Browns (2 left) :55 seconds

Clock runs: ~30 seconds left.

Run the ball.

Conversion = last second FG try (Down on 1st [Cleveland TO#2], down on 2nd[Cleveland TO#3])

Failed conversion = Cleveland TO #2. 4th and 2 with ~:45-:50 left.

FG good = ~35-40 seconds, Cleveland with 1 TO. (Worst case)

Just awful. Awful awful awful.

The thing is Arthur is costing Smith his career by keeping him. If he had fired him 3-4 weeks ago, Smith had a shot at another coaching job. That ship has since sailed.

I'm not so sure about that, Smith would be a fantastic College Head Coach and there's teams like the Raiders/Jags that would kick his tires. He's clearly not a Super Bowl winning coach but he can do some good while not burning down the town with his antics. If game decisions are his biggest downfall, he still has a shot at another job. He's not out bad mouthing the players/refs/coaches/owner/etc.

The thing is Arthur is costing Smith his career by keeping him. If he had fired him 3-4 weeks ago, Smith had a shot at another coaching job. That ship has since sailed.

Exactly! But now Smith has the fans hating him. This is all on Blank now. His inaction is appalling.

The guy doesn't learn period. He has always had the same issues. Nothing has changed other than the fact that the last second miracle wins aren't happening. He is indecisive. That's who he is as a person. He is not aggressive, he stutters, he mumbles, he is shy. I'm sorry but these are not qualities that a leader possesses. He has never been a good head coach, he has been bailed out by Matt Ryan, Tony Gonzalez, Matt Bryant, etc. it's ridiculous the amount of talent he had over the years. He managed to take a team that should have won at least one Super Bowl and turn it into a team that got repeatedly pulverized in the playoffs.

Yep and players take on the personality of their HC.