Matt Ryan

Knight of God

I've been thinking about the issue with Matt Ryan alot. I could never put my finger on it. Its not what he does when he throws the ball, its before. Go back and look at it. Its what happens during the snap. The timing is off, he doesn't hustle into his drop and so it slows the plays down.

There is no twitch. Even when handing off.

Coachable, but it will have to be actually coached,

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It goes a lot deeper than the mechanics of his dropback. The entire offensive scheme does nothing to highlight the things he is good at.

That was just something I notice, but its also something VERY important. Even if you don't fit the scheme, this can give you an extra half or three quarters of a second on your throws.

He seems a little hesitant to release the ball. Just a little too relaxed at times. Then other times he seems to panic prematurely.

The only time he looked in sync the whole day was in no huddle when we went right down the field. And that's why I think the problem is mostly Koetter. Ryan doesn't trust certain play calls, and he goes into them with either a preconceived notion of what he should do, or a preconceived notion of what will happen. Rather than just looking and reacting.

He seems a little hesitant to release the ball. Just a little too relaxed at times. Then other times he seems to panic prematurely.

The only time he looked in sync the whole day was in no huddle when we went right down the field. And that's why I think the problem is mostly Koetter. Ryan doesn't trust certain play calls, and he goes into them with either a preconceived notion of what he should do, or a preconceived notion of what will happen. Rather than just looking and reacting.

Okay, that makes sense. He does seem a bit reluctant to throw it too.

That was just something I notice, but its also something VERY important. Even if you don't fit the scheme, this can give you an extra half or three quarters of a second on your throws.

For sure. He has looked hesitant a lot this season. I saw at least 7 or 8 double clutches this game, and that has been the norm for a while now. He's not dropping and stepping into his throws in a rhythm, which is what he has to do to be successful. He doesn't have that big rocket arm like Rodgers or Stafford that lets them scramble around a little and deliver a bullet into tight coverage on the run.

For sure. He has looked hesitant a lot this season. I saw at least 7 or 8 double clutches this game, and that has been the norm for a while now. He's not dropping and stepping into his throws in a rhythm, which is what he has to do to be successful. He doesn't have that big rocket arm like Rodgers or Stafford that lets them scramble around a little and deliver a bullet into tight coverage on the run.

You're right that he's been double clutching a lot. That will affect your power. And coincidentally he's under throwing a lot of deeper balls recently.

Fire Cookie tomorrow. Let Robiske take it. Go 100% no huddle and let Ryan call most plays with Robiske on the headset with a play in reserve if Matt needs to huddle or runs out of ideas. Go old school. We got nothin to lose here.

Okay, that makes sense. He does seem a bit reluctant to throw it too.

I've noticed for months now he hadn't been stepping into his throws. Balls are falling short a lot. The play to devin fell short. Actually it could've been a TD if it was dropped in front of Devin. He's been under throwing Julio all season as well. His mechanics are definitely off this season. Don't know if he's gun shy or what. Don't think he's trusting what he's seeing as well. I got blasted for the truth because ppl get caught up in stats but he's definitely off bro. He's been making rookie type throws and mistakes. Can't have that as the leader of the team.

I've noticed for months now he hadn't been stepping into his throws. Balls are falling short a lot. The play to devin fell short. Actually it could've been a TD if it was dropped in front of Devin. He's been under throwing Julio all season as well. His mechanics are definitely off this season. Don't know if he's gun shy or what. Don't think he's trusting what he's seeing as well. I got blasted for the truth because ppl get caught up in stats but he's definitely off bro. He's been making rookie type throws and mistakes. Can't have that as the leader of the team.

Well, this is what happens sometimes but I just needed to understand what was up. I look at the stats too, but having played I know the QB is just as accountable as anyone. The OL is inconsistent, not 100% bad. There is something else. Also, these RB's aren't good enough to be run so little (you'll know what I mean by that)

Agreed. I didn't like that playcall to Hester at the end of the game, but it looked like he was in position to make a play with a good throw. And everyone is slamming Julio for playing poorly today even though he had a step on Haden down the sideline 3 or 4 times only to get 2 uncatchable balls, one borderline uncatchable ball, and one that was 50/50 at best. Ryan either has to start connecting on some of those passes or we need to start working our deep passing down the middle on posts and seam routes. All I know is that what we are doing right now is not working.

Well, this is what happens sometimes but I just needed to understand what was up. I look at the stats too, but having played I know the QB is just as accountable as anyone. The OL is inconsistent, not 100% bad. There is something else. Also, these RB's aren't good enough to be run so little (you'll know what I mean by that)

Exactly. They need volume to get in a rhythm. I really think what would help the whole offense is running more to set up play action. Kutty wants to toss it around the yard and that's just not who we are this year. More running would really help Matt out.

Agreed. I didn't like that playcall to Hester at the end of the game, but it looked like he was in position to make a play with a good throw. And everyone is slamming Julio for playing poorly today even though he had a step on Haden down the sideline 3 or 4 times only to get 2 uncatchable balls, one borderline uncatchable ball, and one that was 50/50 at best. Ryan either has to start connecting on some of those passes or we need to start working our deep passing down the middle on posts and seam routes. All I know is that what we are doing right now is not working.

Bingo. He's terrible on the deep 9 route. He's always thrown the post better. That's an easier pass to catch as well.

Exactly. They need volume to get in a rhythm. I really think what would help the whole offense is running more to set up play action. Kutty wants to toss it around the yard and that's just not who we are this year. More running would really help Matt out.

I think its Matt's comfort zone man. You know how every QB has one, even if subconscious? Eli Manning needs RB's to check down to, Peyton has to have TE's even in a spread, etc...I think Ryan's may be a solid run game man.

Definitely not working. And you can't keep saying it's the line because I've seen them give Matt plenty of time. I've wondered is he hurt, gun shy, or both. Then add koetter. The Browns were giving up 142 yards a game on the ground. SCREAMING run at us and we proceeded to air it out. We go against the grain too much instead of attacking a teams weakness. I don't get it. I think smith is worn out. He's drained. Done.

I think its Matt's comfort zone man. You know how every QB has one, even if subconscious? Eli Manning needs RB's to check down to, Peyton has to have TE's even in a spread, etc...I think Ryan's may be a solid run game man.

I agree with that and it's nothing wrong with it. Smitty and company need to recognize this and Matt should speak up as well about it.

That makes a lot of sense because that's what he had when he broke into the league. Would be nice to get a solid running game back in place and see how he responds.

You know what though, that could have more to do with the WR's getting separation. White doesn't get good sep anymore and it seems Jones has lost a step.

You can't expect receivers to get open by 4 or 5 yards at this level though. If the DB is beat by a step, that WR is open and the QB has to hit him. If a Bronco WR gets just a little separation you can bet your *** Peyton is going to get the ball in his hands. It also doesn't help that we rely waaaaaay too much on our WRs to create separation on their own instead of creating it by running certain routes in certain places on the field against a certain defensive alignment. When is the last time you saw us use the umpire to pick a defender on a crossing route? That's simple **** and we just don't do it. Even play action will help, but we never establish the run well enough to get anyone to bite.

That makes a lot of sense because that's what he had when he broke into the league. Would be nice to get a solid running game back in place and see how he responds.

Ironically that's what Smith has always wanted. It's TD that wanted to turn us into Green Bay. And it's F'ing Cookie Cutter that would throw it 70 times a game if Smith let him.

This whole thing has become one big train wreck. I just hope Ryan has enough kahunas left to stand in a pocket after the 2 year bloodbath and the rebuild.

For me Ryan is going through something similar that Philip Rivers went through from what I have noticed even over the last couple of years is his confidence has taken a huge hit.

Factors that lead to this well coaching O-line lack of a running game man the list could be a long one.

To me its fixable but he needs more help around him for starters.His stint with this coaching staff needs to end it just does.

He actually needs a wall in front of him that would help no ends.I honestly think thats the biggest thing.

Ryan for me when he's at his best is always in a rhythm running the hurry up bang bang bang all this slow down type stuff just doesn't work for him and with the lack of protection just enhances this lack of the above issue.

When is the last time you saw us use the umpire to pick a defender on a crossing route?.

Actually Roddy did that on the 3rd and 2 today lol. They just showed it on the post news wrap up.

But Ryan threw to Devin cause that's what "that look says to do".

He needs to quit going by the book and read the field. That's exactly what he did on 4th down against the Niners. Roddy was covered. Gonzo was open.

Actually Roddy did that on the 3rd and 2 today lol. They just showed it on the post news wrap up.

But Ryan threw to Devin cause that's what "that look says to do".

He needs to quit going by the book and read the field. That's exactly what he did on 4th down against the Niners. Roddy was covered. Gonzo was open.

Guess I missed it. But we didn't throw him the ball so it might as well have never happened. I think we may have run another crossing route today too, but getting the ball to a WR on the move in space is not something we do often enough.