Serious Question On Falcon Playcalling

NawlinsLady

Does Mike Smith actually do all the offensive Playcalling? Or is there an OC doing the majority of the play calls? I ask because I know MS came from a defensive background which doesn't lend itself to the entricacies and sometimes subtle finess of directing a high powered offence. If there is not a good OC that could be replaced (or a good OC being ignored), could this juncture be the failing spot? I don't see SP trying to coach the D, so would it stand to reason that a D person all his career wouldn't have the smartest O-sense from lack of knowledge? I'm not trying to bust any balls, just curious if I am in the ballpark of being right. Thanx.

as HC the buck stops there. Crucial game time decisions he can certainly trump the OC and say hey i think we should pass here or i think we should run here.

The first part is true. But I know in Lovie Smith's case he has little to do with our offense, and considering we have no offensive coordinator, that explains a lot of the Bucs offensive problems, and clock management also. I imagine with Smitty being a defensive guy, he may not have a lot to say about the offense, even in the final 2 minutes....yet he is the one who's ultimately responsible.

The first part is true. But I know in Lovie Smith's case he has little to do with our offense, and considering we have no offensive coordinator, that explains a lot of the Bucs offensive problems, and clock management also. I imagine with Smitty being a defensive guy, he may not have a lot to say about the offense, even in the final 2 minutes.

If this is true in the Falcons case and Smitty allowed Koetter to make that call after a timeout and Smitty had no input? Then he should be fired along with Koetter. Any fool would have run a high percentage pass on 3rd and 2 or just run the ball in hopes of making it. Make the browns use their timeouts...besides Bryant was money from that spot anyways!

Fact is he is HC. You either throw your OC or QB under the bus or you take the hit. We all know how that goes. If someone will throw someone under the bus it would be koetter. Smith and Ryan wont.

But as HC you can trump anything and if its over rules and fails. Then your gonna catch crap. But its happened. No reason to throw someone under the bus. Its like going for it on a 4th and 1 and failing. It is what it is. You live with it.

Does Mike Smith actually do all the offensive Playcalling? Or is there an OC doing the majority of the play calls? I ask because I know MS came from a defensive background which doesn't lend itself to the entricacies and sometimes subtle finess of directing a high powered offence. If there is not a good OC that could be replaced (or a good OC being ignored), could this juncture be the failing spot? I don't see SP trying to coach the D, so would it stand to reason that a D person all his career wouldn't have the smartest O-sense from lack of knowledge? I'm not trying to bust any balls, just curious if I am in the ballpark of being right. Thanx.

The way I see it, in Mike Smith's tenure, we have had two OC's and two DC's; both coordinator positions were dismissed and refilled at the same time three seasons ago. Since then, nothing really has changed about either Offensive or Defensive philosophy. Ergo, I'm looking at the constant (Smith) as being a majority problem to the coordinating disasters...

To take your point in hand, last year I called the biggest boost to the Saints would be the Ryan hire. Payton is one of a very few successful HC's that focus on "his" side of the ball mostly (the offense). Those types (Payton, Andy Reid, Jon Gruden) are most successful when they have absolute gurus overseeing the other side of the ball (a la Payton with Gregg Williams, Reid with Jim Johnson and Gruden with Monte Kiffin). If a HC is going to involve himself too much in playcalling, his game management suffers. I see this in Smitty.

Thanks for the answers, guys. Having watched MS on the sidelines so many years and seeing things like the headphone throws I assumed he was the play caller.

I know the buck shoud stop with the HC, but it really stops at the owner. So, if the HC wants to get rid of one or more of his coaches but is nixed

by the Owner, then that ties his hands. (Not that I know anything about the inner workings of the falcon's HQ.) What I guess I'm trying to say/ask - if the bad calls and time management falls on other shoulders would getting rid of Smitty be enough since the underlings are the actual doers.