Worst Case Scenario (?)

Falcon Freddie

1. Atlanta Falcons finish 2014 season in first place in NFC South - with 6-10 record. (It could happen.)

2. As NFC South Champion, Atlanta Falcons host post-season game. Falcons fans' collective feelings are decidedly mixed. National sports media goes berserk because "superior" team has to travel to Atlanta to play the "Fraudcons".

3. Coach Smith is retained ("How can you fire him? Smith took you to the playoffs.")

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Browns game has convinced me once and for all - at the end of the season Coach Mike Smith has to depart - no matter what. Whatever spark Smitty had when he arrived in Atlanta is now gone. As much as I would love to see my beloved Falcons win a divisional championship, I fear it would prove a pyrrhic victory.

One bright spot with the above scenario: the Falcons could simultaneously win a divisional championship and get a high draft pick.

We'd be the laughing stock of the whole NFL, if we were to win the division at 6 - 10...

Then when Mike Smith is retained, it would happen all over again.....and for me, THAT would be the worst case scenario!!!

I doubt Smith would be retained after a season like that. Playoff just isn't enough... Well for me it isn't. We need a coach to take us to the next level and I hope that the FO sees that.

Dharma, bad as i hate it.... im with you. i have been a loyal falcons fan for 40 years. but if Blank retains Smitty after yesterdays debackle, he is either stupid or just doesn't care, and is no better than the Smiths before him. no way i can watch the Jackass with the head set drag my team down anymore..either he goes or i go...and i hope about 50,000 fans join me...

i fully expexted an announcement today that he had been released

Edited by newgafatboy

1. Atlanta Falcons finish 2014 season in first place in NFC South - with 6-10 record. (It could happen.) 2. As NFC South Champion, Atlanta Falcons host post-season game. Falcons fans' collective feelings are decidedly mixed. National sports media goes berserk because "superior" team has to travel to Atlanta to play the "Fraudcons". 3. Coach Smith is retained ("How can you fire him? Smith took you to the playoffs.") - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - The Browns game has convinced me once and for all - at the end of the season Coach Mike Smith has to depart - no matter what. Whatever spark Smitty had when he arrived in Atlanta is now gone. As much as I would love to see my beloved Falcons win a divisional championship, I fear it would prove a pyrrhic victory. One bright spot with the above scenario: the Falcons could simultaneously win a divisional championship and get a high draft pick.

Playoff coaches have been fired before. If this scenario plays out Smith's fate will be tied to what we do in the playoffs:

0-1 - fired

1-1 - probably fired

2-1 - probably retained

3-1 - likely retained

4-0 - definitely retained

The problem with OP scenario is draft order format.

Playoff teams automatically start at pick 21 and slot in with earliest playoff elimination, worst record first, or lowest season-strength- if- schedule % when teams have same record. Not that the last factor would be needed in our case 😏