Arthur Blank Is At Risk Of Losing The Fanbase

BankerBird™

I don't mean completely, of course, as there will always be people who, as is their prerogative, will decide to support the Falcons financially regardless their record.

When I say Mr. Blank is at risk of losing the fan base, I'm speaking in terms of individuals emotionally detaching themselves from the Falcons and not caring how badly the team performs, which ultimately will lead to distancing themselves in other ways, including financially. Mr. Blank is smart enough to know the majority of Falcons fans cannot be expected to endure the kind of performance this team has exhibited the last two seasons under Mike Smith. If he doesn't realize this, then, I feel sorry for him because to presume otherwise is to be naive.

It's not only the losing but the way this team is losing; and it's not only the players who aren't performing but the coaches - including the head coach. Combine today's clock management ineptitude with the coaching mistakes Smith made in the Detroit game, and how can Mr. Blank realistically believe the people who comprise the Falcons fan base is simply going to "grin and bear it" for yet another "next season?"

Again, the entire fan base will never be lost, so I'm not inferring that at all. But, I think you guys get the point. This Falcons fan base is at a tipping point. They're fed up with Mike Smith and his getting out-coached week after week. And at some point, fans are going to start letting Mr. Blank know by withdrawing their financial support, especially season ticket holders.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worry that a loss to Arizona next week followed by a likely loss to GB the next week will really be bad because the "home" game against the Steelers will have tons of Steelers fans in town.

A 3-game losing streak before that game will mean few local Falcons fans will come out and the game may appear on TV like a Steelers home game (and they play well at home).

I don't mean completely, of course, as there will always be people who, as is their prerogative, will decide to support the Falcons financially regardless their record.

When I say Mr. Blank is at risk of losing the fan base, I'm speaking in terms of individuals emotionally detaching themselves from the Falcons and not caring how badly the team performs, which ultimately will lead to distancing themselves in other ways, including financially. Mr. Blank is smart enough to know the majority of Falcons fans cannot be expected to endure the kind of performance this team has exhibited the last two seasons under Mike Smith. If he doesn't realize this, then, I feel sorry for him because to presume otherwise is to be naive.

It's not only the losing but the way this team is losing; and it's not only the players who aren't performing but the coaches - including the head coach. Combine today's clock management ineptitude with the coaching mistakes Smith made in the Detroit game, and how can Mr. Blank realistically believe the people who comprise the Falcons fan base is simply going to "grin and bear it" for yet another "next season?"

Again, the entire fan base will never lost, so I'm not inferring that at all. But, I think you guys get the point. This Falcons fan base is at a tipping point. They're fed up with Mike Smith and his getting out-coached week after week. And at some point, fans are going to start letting Mr. Blank know by withdrawing their financial support, especially season ticket holders.

Agreed. Personally I think Blank should pull the trigger and euthanize now. Let Tice take over the remaining games and evaluate all at the end of the season. Today was inexcusable. Talk about handing a win to them on a silver platter!

I worry that a loss to Arizona next week followed by a likely loss to GB the next week will really be bad because the "home" game against the Steelers will have tons of Steelers fans in town.

A 3-game losing streak before that game will mean few local Falcons fans will come out and the game may appear on TV like a Steelers home game (and they play well at home).

Falcons could win the next two games 100-0 and the Dome is still gonna be full of Steeler fans

I've made up my mind that if Smith is brought back next year I am done with the Falcons. I'll find another team to pull for.

And save all of your "don't let the door hit ya" retorts. I've been a fan of this team longer than most of you have been alive.

I've never made the above statement before. If Blank keeps Smith around that will tell me that the owner of the Falcons truly doesn't understand the game at all and that there is virtually no hope of a championship EVER coming to Atlanta.

I'm not spending another penny on this team. Really starting to lose all hope in the Falcons and Braves. Just poorly run franchises.

The problem with the Braves is that they are "owned" now by a corporate team in another state that simply sees the team as a money-making venture. They could care less whether the team wins or loses.

On the other hand, Blank actually does care about the team and has to be feeling something right now. However, he is very even-tempered and does not want to appear to make a kneejerk reaction by firing Smith too quick.

Blank knows very little about football, so I really don't think he is going to appreciate just how badly Mike Smith **** the bed this afternoon. If he fires him it will only be because we aren't winning games anymore and fans stop showing up. If Cundiff had shanked that FG, Smitty would be one step closer to keeping his job despite once again showing everyone who has a clue that he is in over his head.

Blank knows very little about football, so I really don't think he is going to appreciate just how badly Mike Smith **** the bed this afternoon. If he fires him it will only be because we aren't winning games anymore and fans stop showing up. If Cundiff had shanked that FG, Smitty would be one step closer to keeping his job despite once again showing everyone who has a clue that he is in over his head.

Yeah, I had a great deal of hope for Blank several years ago when it was pretty well known that he was hanging out with Pats owner Bob Kraft a good bit.

Seems like he's been hanging out with Daniel Snyder more recently.

The problem with the Braves is that they are "owned" now by a corporate team in another state that simply sees the team as a money-making venture. They could care less whether the team wins or loses.

On the other hand, Blank actually does care about the team and has to be feeling something right now. However, he is very even-tempered and does not want to appear to make a kneejerk reaction by firing Smith too quick.

I agree with you about the Braves.

But I don't think anyone would say Blank was making a knee-jerk reaction in firing Smith now.

I've been a fan of the Atlanta Falcons since the very inception of the team. I've had some highs with this team, and a lot of lows. However, I don't think I have ever been as disappointed with the Falcons as I have been over the last two seasons. This is some of the worst football and worst coaching that I have ever seen. It feels surreal. I think that I am about to quit watching Falcons football for the very first time since 1966. I just can't take the ineptitude any longer.

Thats the thing though.You don't have to be a great football mind to know that timeout was idiotic.Everyone but our damn head coach knows you don't do that.

I've made up my mind that if Smith is brought back next year I am done with the Falcons. I'll find another team to pull for.

And save all of your "don't let the door hit ya" retorts. I've been a fan of this team longer than most of you have been alive.

I've never made the above statement before. If Blank keeps Smith around that will tell me that the owner of the Falcons truly doesn't understand the game at all and that there is virtually no hope of a championship EVER coming to Atlanta.

A lot of people feel the same way. I think blank is going to fix this and will use his pockets to do it. I wish he would purchase the Braves and Hawks