Salvage The Season, Win The Division, See What Happens In The Playoffs

scarface1856

I know people seem to want to tank for a better draft pick but I disagree.

This terrible division is winnable. If we win it and get into the playoffs, would it be too surprising that we knocked off teams like Arizona, Detroit, etc.? No.

I would actually go ahead and send a message to my players and fire the head coach. That message is that the team is committed to winning and everyone is held accountable. No one person's decisions will ruin this for everyone.

So the team may be inspired and mismanagement removed. Also William Moore is due back soon, Drew Davis is back, Alford in a couple more weeks. The line has more time to gel too.

If they can get into the playoffs, who knows what will happen. The team can compete on any given Sunday.

I'm down with this.

Honestly, this is really hard situation to be in as a fan. Just about any other year, any discussion of a playoff berth at this point would be delusional. But, with the entire division stinking like it does, the playoffs are a possibility, and strange things do happen in the NFL.

I think what tears so many of us on this point is that we'd love to see a playoff run, but we fear that a playoff run, even if it came on the heels of a losing record, would put off the front office changes that *need* to take place. Do you want short-term success, or long-term success? As a fan, you want both, but there's not a good way to pull for both in a situation like this.

The talent (especially when healthy) is not losing record bad. In fact, the team seemed to have rallied and started playing better of late (to an extent). This division is winnable and who knows what can happen in the playoffs. I think that if the players feel like the game was taken from them today like we do, getting rid of that problem might go a long way with them.

We have had perhaps 2 really bad losses this year that were clearly "earned" - Baltimore and Cincinnati.

However, our record with proper coaching and sensible refereeing, would be 9-2:

Minnesota - late meltdown and against a rookie QB

NYG - 4th Q meltdown

Chicago - 2nd half metldown at home

Detroit - stupid referee call combined with improper coaching time management

Cleveland - stupid coaching time management

I still think 8-8 will win this division and just hope we can go 4-1 down the stretch but a division is now dependent on NO losing tomorrow and us probably beating them in the Superdome.

I would actually go ahead and send a message to my players and fire the head coach. That message is that the team is committed to winning and everyone is held accountable. No one person's decisions will ruin this for everyone.

Wanna see what'll happen in the playoffs?

Re-watch today's game. Classic Smith playoff fail

This team and coaching staff will get slaughtered in the playoffs.

To think otherwise is delusional.

This whole team needs a compete re-tooling (players/GM/HC/etc). What makes any of you think we'll do good in the playoffs? In years past with a full/healthy squad, we're 1 and 6 in the post season. We need the best draft player(s) and FA's possible (and not to be chosen by our current GM or HC... hopefully, they'll be shown the door).

Edited by GaFFLe

We have had perhaps 2 really bad losses this year that were clearly "earned" - Baltimore and Cincinnati.

However, our record with proper coaching and sensible refereeing, would be 9-2:

Minnesota - late meltdown and against a rookie QB

NYG - 4th Q meltdown

Chicago - 2nd half metldown at home

Detroit - stupid referee call combined with improper coaching time management

Cleveland - stupid coaching time management

I still think 8-8 will win this division and just hope we can go 4-1 down the stretch but a division is now dependent on NO losing tomorrow and us probably beating them in the Superdome.

And all of those teams have been blown out a few times this year, meanwhile we could barely keep up with them

How would anyone on this board have any idea of the attitude or mentality of the locker room? Why would the players not WANT to try to go to the playoffs if they are in first place (if Saints lose). A hungry team is potentially dangerous one... not saying likely, but a ticket to the dance is a ticket to the dance.

I know people seem to want to tank for a better draft pick but I disagree.

This terrible division is winnable. If we win it and get into the playoffs, would it be too surprising that we knocked off teams like Arizona, Detroit, etc.? No.

So the team may be inspired and mismanagement removed. Also William Moore is due back soon, Drew Davis is back, Alford in a couple more weeks. The line has more time to gel too.

If they can get into the playoffs, who knows what will happen. The team can compete on any given Sunday.

It's over with. There is nothing to see from the Falcons but complete disappointment. Nothing more.

How would anyone on this board have any idea of the attitude or mentality of the locker room? Why would the players not WANT to try to go to the playoffs if they are in first place (if Saints lose). A hungry team is potentially dangerous one... not saying likely, but a ticket to the dance is a ticket to the dance.

This team is too ******* stupid to know it is in first place, that there is something to play for, or that you need to put forth a real effort in order to succeed. Thinking this team will amount to anything is a fools errand.

It's over with. There is nothing to see from the Falcons but complete disappointment. Nothing more.

This team is too ******* stupid to know it is in first place, that there is something to play for, or that you need to put forth a real effort in order to succeed. Thinking this team will amount to anything is a fools errand.

Then why stick around? Not sure what the point of that is.

Please tell me who in the NFC we can beat in the playoffs.

The only team we seem to win against is the NFC South. None will make it if we make it.

I'd rather pass on another one and done playoff appearance just to "see what happens". I already know what will happen.

Please tell me who in the NFC we can beat in the playoffs.

The only team we seem to win against is the NFC South. None will make it if we make it.

I'd rather pass on another one and done playoff appearance just to "see what happens". I already know what will happen.

You really that afraid of the Lions or Cowboys? Is it really that wild to think we can beat them (or really any team ONCE)?

You really that afraid of the Lions or Cowboys? Is it really that wild to think we can beat them (or really any team ONCE)?

No, I'm afraid of Smitty.

Plus, everybody keeps pointing to the Lions like we didn't already lose to them.

No, I don't think Smitty could coach us to a win. The only reason we won even one game with him since 2008 is because Ryan worked his late game magic against SEA.

No, I'm afraid of Smitty.

Plus, everybody keeps pointing to the Lions like we didn't already lose to them.

No, I don't think Smitty could coach us to a win. The only reason we won even one game with him since 2008 is because Ryan worked his late game magic against SEA.

In the OP I wrote that I would fire Smitty. There was more after the title.