The King Has Mocked Again

Guest King Jigsaw

Guest King Jigsaw

Free Agency

As with my last mock, I will be limiting my free agent list to three. This does not mean that only three names will likely be signed, it just means that I'm not willing to list seven or eight names this early so you can marvel at all the holes I've supposedly filled.

Jerry Hughes, OLB, Buffalo

Height: 6’2” Weight: 255 lbs.

• In 26 career games with the Bills, Hughes has recorded 17.5 sacks - and that’s while playing only 60% of Buffalo’s defensive snaps. The Falcons obviously lack anyone with that kind of passrushing production, and would love this guaranteed uptick in pressure heading into the draft. It’s very rare that teams allow their number 1 offseason priority to walk, but Hughes may opt to move to a team where he can be the star rather than returning to the shadow of Mario Williams.

Niles Paul, TE, Washington

Height: 6’1” Weight: 225 lbs.

• Starting Redskin TE Jordan Reed has proven to be talented if not fragile, which could opt the Redskins to resign second stringer Niles Paul. For a team with plenty of needs but only a middle-of-the-road projected cap space number, Paul could become a circumstantial sacrifice while cheaper options become the preference. Paul is a very talented athlete with the credentials (Nebraska’s 6th all-time leading receiver in college) to take over as the Falcons top TE in 2015 while Toilolo moves to more of a blocking role that he’s proven to do well in.

Jerrell Freeman, ILB, Indianapolis

Height: 6’0” Weight: 234 lbs.

• While some people’s big money free agents this offseason will be names like Brian Orakpo and Justin Houston, the big name that has no chance of hitting the market that I would love to throw Arthur Blank’s money at is none other than Jerrell Freeman. Freeman has been amongst the league’s leaders in tackles over the last two and half seasons while also adding the kind of big play ability that we’ve been lacking with Worrilow, as Freeman also contributes with sacks and interceptions. A player similar to Demeco Ryans, Freeman is a sideline-to-sideline playmaker who would immediately take over the key role in our 3-4 defense and improve our front seven tremendously.

Draft

Heading into the draft we’ve added two key talents to our embarrassing linebacking group which should allow us to fully benefit from all the additions we made to our defensive line in 2014 and our secondary in 2013. With plenty of upgrades still possible, the Falcons go into the draft with a lot of flexibility. For this mock I'll be adding a sixth round pick, after only doing five last time around.

Round 1 - Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin

Height: 6’1” Weight: 215 lbs.

• While names like Randy Gregory and Shane Rey were often thrown around earlier in the season, the Falcons have begun doing this thing called winning lately that will likely take us out of the realm of possibility to land such names. With all the top tier passrushers off the board, the Falcons instead choose to pull the trigger on the top-ranked back in the class. While most of the Draft Gurley threads received criticism from me, I can see scenarios where our draft position matched with our pre-draft moves makes it plausible to land the BPA rather than reaching for a higher need (for a change). Gordon, who has been oft-compared to Jamaal Charles, would give us a true feature back to take over from the mediocre trottings of Jacquizz Rodgers and Steven Jackson and really help to balance our offense and make it a truly lethal unit.

Round 2 - Hau’oli Kikaha, OLB, Washington

Height: 6’3” Weight: 246 lbs.

• The wait for the Falcons to finally draft a promising passrusher is over. Heading into the twilight of the season, Kikaha leads the nation in sacks and has been one half of a very productive duo with DT Danny Shelton who will also be a top 64 name come next year’s draft. Kikaha has a good first step, excellent bend, very fluid movements to change direction quickly, and obviously has a want to wreck Quarterbacks. When asked about his abilities, he says his biggest asset is his mental strength to diagnose plays as they unfold and to put himself in position to make a play mentally before he makes them physically. Kikaha would jump into an improved linebacking group in an automatic position to produce and succeed.

Round 3 - A.J. Cann, OG, South Carolina

Height: 6’4” Weight: 311 lbs.

• Poor man’s Larry Warford. This is the description being tagged to 2015 prospect A.J. Cann, who is a terrific runblocker who ‘struggles outside of a phonebooth and against speed rushers’. Well, Mr. Poor Man’s Warford, I would like you to meet Mike Tice - the man that has turned the likes of Ryan Schraeder and Lamar Holmes into starting quality NFL tackles. If Lamar Holmes, who has struggled with speed rushers early on in his career as well, can display so much improvement in such a short time with Tice, then I don’t see why the same magic can’t work for Cann who would immediately upgrade our guard situation, allowing us to move on from Blalock who is no longer worth the check we send him.

Round 4 - John Theus, OT, Georgia

Height: 6’6” Weight: 313 lbs.

• As the Falcons prepare for life without Sam Baker, which could come as early as the 2015 season (whether he’s healthy or not), they will need to continue to shore up the depth along the offensive line. We’ve proven that we live and die by our o-line’s health over the last couple of years and with Matthews and Holmes preferably locking down the LT position, Ryan Schraeder will need some competition as well as a promising backup if Gabe Carimi doesn’t stick around. Theus is a big-bodied tackle that has had a lot of success blocking for Todd Gurley, even though it’s arguable that you even have to block for him. While he currently plays on the left side for UGA, Theus will have to move back over to the right side for the NFL while he continues to improve on his pass protection skills under the tutelage of Mike Tice.

Round 5 - Terry Williams, NT, East Carolina

Height: 6’1” Weight: 353 lbs.

• In my first mock I had us signing Kenrick Ellis, who has been a good-yet-underused Nose Tackle in the Jets loaded defensive rotation while playing behind Snacks Harrison. In this second effort, I have us using a late round pick on a true backup for Paul Soliai, similar to the way I had us using one on Justin Ellis in last year’s draft. If Soliai goes down we are lacking anyone who can step in and play the same role, which makes using a pick on Williams a very smart choice. A huge run stuffing presence, Terry Williams is a very stout and disruptive player likened to a bowling ball rolling through the offensive line and causing a lot of havoc. If you really want to see what this guy is capable of, put on his tape against Virginia Tech from earlier this season and you’ll see exactly why he’s on my early draft radar.

Round 6 - Jalston Fowler, FB, Alabama

Height: 6’1” Weight: 248 lbs.

• Not since the days of Ovie have Falcons fans been able to fully support their Fullback and say “This guy will truly make a difference.” Enter Jalston Fowler who has pro-ready fullback written all over him. A guy with soft hands but evil intentions, Fowler is just as likely to catch a pass coming out of the backfield as he is plowing open a hole for our upgraded RB group. The additions of Fowler, Gordon, and Cann would vastly improve our ability to run the ball, making our offense more dangerous than ever.

Well, hopefully this is a better effort than last time. What would you guys think of these acquisitions?

Edited by King Jigsaw

Guest King Jigsaw

sorry stopped reading at a RB in the 1st.

If you have to apologize for being a dbag, you're doing it wrong.

My reasonings that were explained are for those willing to read before they comment.

Edited by King Jigsaw

Not certain about RB in the first, but I would love for us to become a power run/play action team.

I like Kikaha, what little I've seen of him, and really like Cann for the run game. He can be a great road grader. Will need some work in pass protection, but it will come. Fowler of course is an old school fullback that can help the run game.

Also like the Hughes pickup and Freeman.

Guest King Jigsaw

Not certain about RB in the first, but I would love for us to become a power run/play action team.

I like Kikaha, what little I've seen of him, and really like Cann for the run game. He can be a great road grader. Will need some work in pass protection, but it will come. Fowler of course is an old school fullback that can help the run game.

Also like the Hughes pickup and Freeman.

Yeah I feel like I'm gonna have some crow shoved down my throat if anyone decided to go and dig up old posts of mine complaining about all the Gurley mocks, but that was when people were screaming for us to use a top 5 pick on him. We're starting to play ourselves out of position to land the top tier passrushers like Ray, Gregory, etc. and rather than reaching for someone like Eli Harold I'd rather take Melvin Gordon who is the top RB in this class and would give us another dynamic. Rather than relying on a bunch of mid-level RBs in a rotation, Gordon would be a top-level bellcow that rounds out our offense. It's a tough pill to swallow using all those picks on offense (RB, OG, OT, FB) but if they impact the offense in the way I think they would, then we'd easily rise up to the top of the NFC again.

Adding pieces to our linebacking group in Free Agency will take a lot of pressure off of us heading into the draft so we can lean towards more of a BPA style of draft. Our offense will be top 5 in every aspect, and our defense will be middle of the road which is all we realistically need it to be.

Guest Negatorris

I don't see a problem with drafting a RB in the first especially if it's BPA. People would complain even if we didn't, and decided to reach for a second round talent because of positional needs. Can't please TATF.

BPA is the way to go.

Guest King Jigsaw

No thanks.

As much as I like Gordon we got bigger needs

And I was saying the same thing when everyone wanted Gurley in the top 5, but if we keep winning like this we won't have a shot at filling those needs with appropriate picks. We need to stop reaching for need when BPA solves problems too. Gordon does a lot for this team, even if it is on the wrong side of the ball. With SJax, Antone, and Quizz all hitting FA we're going to need another back and I'd rather take one high and resign one to give us a group like Gordon-Freeman-Antone than to use more middling picks that will lead to middling results.