Nolan Says Mass Foot Injury Contributed In Less Snap

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- A nagging foot injury continues to be the only reason why Atlanta Falcons outside linebacker/defensive end Jonathan Massaquoi hasn't seen the field much in recent weeks.

Massaquoi played just seven snaps in a 19-17 win over the Carolina Panthersafter playing six the week before at Tampa Bay. The specifics of his injury are unknown.

"The last couple weeks, it was strictly health,'' defensive coordinator Mike Nolan said of Massaquoi's limited action. "I hope he's well this week. Last week, he was better than the week before in practice, but not well enough to really participate, to get ready for the game.

"I didn't think he was ready for the (Carolina) game because he didn't practice enough. And as the game went on, it wasn't like it was necessary that we had him. The guys were doing a good job. ... But this week could be his week. If he's healthy again, I expect him to play, you know, more on the base downs."

Massaquoi had emerged as a pass-rushing threat following consecutive strong games against Chicago and Baltimore. Then he suddenly saw his snap percentage drop from 73 percent against the Bears to 49 percent against the Lions in London, leading him to lobby for more playing time.

"The guy was like seven snaps (short)," Nolan said of the Detroit game. "If we didn't have to go back on the field at the end of the game, there wouldn't have been seven more snaps."

A healthy Massaquoi could only help the pass rush as the Falcons prepare to host theCleveland Browns on Sunday. The Falcons are tied for 29th in the league with 13 sacks and are 30th in the league in sacks per pass attempt. Massaquoi has two sacks in five quarterback hits.

The Browns, led by perennial Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Thomas, are 10th in the league in sacks allowed per pass attempt. Quarterback Brian Hoyer, who has attempted 325 passes, has been sacked 15 times.

If the Falcons are able to generate pressure, it should help new starting cornerback Robert McClain as he attempts to keep up with the Browns' speedy receivers. McClain is taking over for the injured Robert Alford (broken wrist).

The rush also should aid top cornerback Desmond Trufant, who is expected to contend with reinstated Browns receiver Josh Gordon

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/10008/mike-nolan-hopes-to-get-jonathan-massaquoi-foot-back-on-track

Couple of points:

1. Saying it would have only been 7 more snaps vs. Detroit is hogwash when others are playing that simply haven't produced.

2. If he wasn't healthy then why even have him active? Why use him at all? Why not have someone active who would be healthy? Not saying he's lying about it, just saying that the decision to keep him active means you were essentially playing with a man short.

I just do not get some of the decisions Nolan is making these days...

They don't play TD's picks on Defense (even before injury..Mapogna is the only other real DE/OLB type who is not really a DT, and has edge-rush up-side..)...Maybe, they should have traded every pick after round 2 for vets..)

Edited by Rise

Couple of points:

1. Saying it would have only been 7 more snaps vs. Detroit is hogwash when others are playing that simply haven't produced.

2. If he wasn't healthy then why even have him active? Why use him at all? Why not have someone active who would be healthy? Not saying he's lying about it, just saying that the decision to keep him active means you were essentially playing with a man short.

It's more than just a coincidence that players on this team magically become incapable of playing more than a handful of snaps for a few weeks after playing well. Osi had a great game against Tampa and got like 20 snaps on Sunday. It's a joke. Anything to keep the status quo with these clowns.

Couple of points:

yea you can tell its bs... Before the injury (the lions game) .. The man had 2 outstanding games... How does he not see the most snaps as a pass rusher.... Forget the 7 snaps BS.... Dude suppose to be leading the pass rush snaps by 10 atleast...

I think some remarks he said got him in the dog house...No doubt he is injured now but something seemed up before the injury... The injury is just the easy out now

yea you can tell its bs... Before the injury (the lions game) .. The man had 2 outstanding games... How does he not see the most snaps as a pass rusher.... Forget the 7 snaps BS.... Dude suppose to be leading the pass rush snaps by 10 atleast...

I think some remarks he said got him in the dog house...No doubt he is injured now but something seemed up before the injury... The injury is just the easy out now

It's pride and this coaching staff will be fired because of it. It's not about the performance of the players, it's about making the scheme work that they set forth to begin with. Sitting Kroy for Mass would be them admitting they judged Kroy wrong and they refuse to admit mistakes. HeIl, Smitty is deathly afraid of mistakes to begin with.

It's pride and this coaching staff will be fired because of it. It's not about the performance of the players, it's about making the scheme work that they set forth to begin with. Sitting Kroy for Mass would be them admitting they judged Kroy wrong and they refuse to admit mistakes. HeIl, Smitty is deathly afraid of mistakes to begin with.

i think kroy is coach nolans guy

I don't trust this coaching staff anymore. BS excuses for not playing Mass and not throwing fades to Julio. Like everybody else has said, if he was too hurt to contribute, why mark him as probable and keep him active?

Maybe because edge rush is a position we don't really have depth at.

Thus you need to have a backup plan if someone else goes down (Mass plays injured), but preferably you'd like to let Mass rest until he's 100% if you can get by without him.

There is nothing hard to figure out here. There is not some conspiracy to not play an emerging young pass-rusher, not when he was playing well and Smitty's job is on the line.

Maybe because edge rush is a position we don't really have depth at.

Thus you need to have a backup plan if someone else goes down (Mass plays injured), but preferably you'd like to let Mass rest until he's 100% if you can get by without him.

There is nothing hard to figure out here. There is not some conspiracy to not play an emerging young pass-rusher, not when he was playing well and Smitty's job is on the line.

It's not really hard to work out. The guy is injured so he's given less plays but he's actually one if the better pass rushers so he still takes some snaps. Ideally they rest him fully but the next guy up isn't nearly as good. Take it as a compliment to mass.

Tbh so many here fall in love with average players but they leave and go to another team and suck. Ergo they were never really that good. Rarely do we let a low priced stud go. Generally they are just underperforming players. Watch and let me know if Robertson actually does anything at Denver of if he bounces around. IMHO TDs bigger faults are grimes and AB

"I didn't think he was ready for the (Carolina) game because he didn't practice enough. And as the game went on, it wasn't like it was necessary that we had him. The guys were doing a good job. ... But this week could be his week. If he's healthy again, I expect him to play, you know, more on the base downs."

but

D. Orlando Ledbetter @DOrlandoAJC 5h5 hours ago

#Falcons coach Mike Smith said Julio Jones will play on Sunday even if he misses all of practice with his illness this week.

but

Thank you. Nolan did not say "He wasn't healthy enough to play in the game". He said "he didn't think he was ready to play because he didn't practice enough".

Yet, Julio will play without any practice.

There is no excuse for not playing Mass if he was listed as probable. I could see if it was questionable. That's 50/50.

ppl gonna blame the front office and coach smith all they want..... Man coach Nolan love him some kroy... He called the man the Clay Matthews in our system.... Huh

Im not even saying dont play kroy.... Im just saying a young guy has showed promise....Play that dude... Let him develop