Why The Fade To Julio Has Not Been An Option

Dirtybird56

Dirk Koetter: Defenses keep Julio Jones from fade routes in red zone

By Vaughn McClure | November 18, 2014 8:05:47 PM PST

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- While Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter steered clear of why wide receiver screens haven't been successful, he did offer an explanation for not throwing more fade routes to Julio Jones in the red zone.

"Well, most teams that play us, when they are playing man coverage, are usually doubling [Julio]," Koetter said. "So they usually have a safety doubling over the top. Percentage-wise, it wouldn't be in your best interest to throw it.

Jones

"We have a lot of plays where (the fade) may be an option to go to Julio, if we get the right coverage. We just haven't had it up at the right time, or they haven't been in the right coverage at the right time."

Jones has three touchdowns this season, two coming in the red zone. The first was a 14-yard reception from Matt Ryan in the fourth quarter of the Cincinnati game. Jones was in the slot one-on-one against safety Reggie Nelson, which was an obvious mismatch. The other was an 8-yard pass from Ryan in Week 3 against Tampa Bay during which Jones got behind single coverage from cornerback Johnthan Banks as safety Dashon Goldson hesitated while pondering whether to double Devin Hester.

Koetter was asked about the possibility of using Roddy White more in those fade routes, since Jones is being taken away.

"Well, Roddy actually has got a couple of touchdown passes on back-shoulder fades over on the other side," Koetter said. "Those are examples of plays where when we don't have the right box count or we're in a fade situation, Matt's looking for the best matchup. There were two of them this year. They don't seem like they're fades because they're not leading [White] right to the back corner of the end zone."

White has a team-leading five touchdown receptions, with four of them in the red zone. Koetter said tight end Levine Toilolo could become more of a red-zone threat moving forward. Toilolo has one touchdown catch: a 1-yard reception in a season-opening win over New Orleans.

Edited by Dirtybird56

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fairly obvious I feel like, don't even need all-22 to see many teams play him like this in the redzone.

I don't understand what Koetter is saying by not seeing the coverages at the right time though.. I've seen a couple (literally 2-3) instances where julio is split wide and in clear 1v1, that should be the automatic go-to the second Ryan sees it

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- While Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter steered clear of why wide receiver screens haven't been successful, he did offer an explanation for not throwing more fade routes to Julio Jones in the red zone.

"Well, most teams that play us, when they are playing man coverage, are usually doubling [Julio]," Koetter said. "So they usually have a safety doubling over the top. Percentage-wise, it wouldn't be in your best interest to throw it.

"We have a lot of plays where (the fade) may be an option to go to Julio, if we get the right coverage. We just haven't had it up at the right time, or they haven't been in the right coverage at the right time."

Jones has three touchdowns this season, two coming in the red zone. The first was a 14-yard reception from Matt Ryan in the fourth quarter of the Cincinnati game. Jones was in the slot one-on-one against safety Reggie Nelson, which was an obvious mismatch. The other was an 8-yard pass from Ryan in Week 3 against Tampa Bay during which Jones got behind single coverage from cornerback Johnthan Banks as safety Dashon Goldson hesitated while pondering whether to double Devin Hester.

Koetter was asked about the possibility of using Roddy White more in those fade routes, since Jones is being taken away.

"Well, Roddy actually has got a couple of touchdown passes on back-shoulder fades over on the other side," Koetter said. "Those are examples of plays where when we don't have the right box count or we're in a fade situation, Matt's looking for the best matchup. There were two of them this year. They don't seem like they're fades because they're not leading [White] right to the back corner of the end zone."

White has a team-leading five touchdown receptions, with four of them in the red zone. Koetter said tight end Levine Toilolo could become more of a red-zone threat moving forward. Toilolo has one touchdown catch: a 1-yard reception in a season-opening win over New Orleans.

Then throw the slant stupid. It isn't that hard to figure out. Stack the other side of the field. Keep Julio on the other and throw the slant. Hit it quick before the safety can get to it

The double coverage he sees makes it harder to hit the slant, the CB can play the slant all the way with inside coverage cause he knows he has safety help if it is a fade

I get what you're saying about putting trips to one side and having Julio on the other, I'd agree with that. Not sure if opposing coordinators would still throw 2 guys to Julio's side tho

There's plenty of good receivers double covered that get chances to win a fade route

This is another product of our terrified offense

It's a really low percentage play to throw the fade with double coverage.. Nonetheless I agree if all Julio is going to see is double coverage we've still got to throw it 4-5 times through the course of a season. Ryan really prefers to play the percentages though and find the 1on1 matchup. Which he really does excel at but ThommyD has gone ahead and tried to put him in an air raid offense and sling it like freaking Rodgers which is just setting Ryan up for failure

When watching the games and I see that Dirk Koetter has once again abandoned the run at the first sign of trouble.

9T1kgIr.gif

For the life of me I cant figure that out. Even those 2 and three yard runs can open up the play action later in the game. Oposing teams just have to believe that we are going to run the ball... right now they dont.

You have to challenge the defense. They sound like pu$$ies personally. Letting the defense dictate what they do. Let him dominate over double coverage. Throw it in a spot where he has the best chance. Practice double coverage in practice to know how to attack it. Gotta get Julio involves in the endzone or we are hindering ourselves playing these percentages.

Safe, safe, safe, safe...it's annoying because we keep coming away looking anemic. It ain't working.

For the life of me I cant figure that out. Even those 2 and three yard runs can open up the play action later in the game. Oposing teams just have to believe that we are going to run the ball... right now they dont.

Yep and it totally kills Matt Ryans bread and butter. He is baller with the play action game. They already got away from the no huddle and now they're intent on killing the PA game too. I am really starting to freaking hate Dirk Koetter.

You have to challenge the defense. They sound like pu$$ies personally. Letting the defense dictate what they do. Let him dominate over double coverage. Throw it in a spot where he has the best chance. Practice double coverage in practice to know how to attack it. Gotta get Julio involves in the endzone or we are hindering ourselves playing these percentages.

Safe, safe, safe, safe...it's annoying because we keep coming away looking anemic. It ain't working.

Going into the Panthers game we did have the 3rd best redzone % in the league.. So playing the percentages is working. We just need to challenge this type of coverage on occasion, let 'em know its a possibility we go that way

We have good times ahead of us.. Unfortunate the injury bug decimated the Oline for the 2nd time in a row. Get it shored up next season (RT and possibly LG) and we will look dynamic..

So it is never really a good time to throw a fade to your beast of a receiver, but that wide receiver screen is always a good option...even though it gets blown to **** more times than not?

What use to make Ryan a great competitor out there is when he took chances, and made those plays. Now it's look down the field and if no one is wide open, then dump it across the middle for 1 yard gains. The offense has become predictable. There is absolutely nothing that flows with the Falcons offense. Nothing but stop routes, forcing the wide receiver screen, an occasional reverse, and a lot of mediocre run plays that never get up to full steam, because the passing game (all 4 plays of it) comes first.

Edited by 4dabirds

Going into the Panthers game we did have the 3rd best redzone % in the league.. So playing the percentages is working. We just need to challenge this type of coverage on occasion, let 'em know its a possibility we go that way

We have good times ahead of us.. Unfortunate the injury bug decimated the Oline for the 2nd time in a row. Get it shored up next season (RT and possibly LG) and we will look dynamic..

I thought I had read that somewhere but is that in relation to TD or scoring in general?

I want TDs. Lol

I agree with everyone venting about Koetter though. I haven't had a ton of time to watch all-22 these past few months.. Been wanting to study our route concepts now that julio and roddy are healthy

The bits that I've seen I don't like. I do not like the way Koetter has set up our offense at all. Not enough routes designed to get YAC, abandonment of the run game, predictability in several scenarios now (not just with our screen game), haven't gotten Freeman on any swing routes

Change is 'acomin next season though

Edited by Dirtybird56

I agree with everyone venting about Koetter though. I haven't had a ton of time to watch all-22 these past few months.. Been wanting to study our route concepts now that julio and roddy are healthy

The bits that I've seen I don't like. I do not like the way Koetter has set up our offense at all. Not enough routes designed to get YAC, abandonment of the run game, predictability in several scenarios now (not just with our screen game), haven't gotten Freeman on any swing routes

Change is 'acomin next season though

It's really awful. The majority of our routes are comeback routes, or routes run towards the sideline. We probably attack the middle of the field and down the seams less than any team in the league. We don't try to scheme guys open with things like picks, bunch formations, etc. It's just constant 3 and 4 WR sets where everyone runs 10 yards downfield and turns around.

It's really awful. The majority of our routes are comeback routes, or routes run towards the sideline. We probably attack the middle of the field and down the seams less than any team in the league. We don't try to scheme guys open with things like picks, bunch formations, etc. It's just constant 3 and 4 WR sets where everyone runs 10 yards downfield and turns around.

Yep, it's very frustrating to say the least