Revised Prediction: Atlanta Falcons

Orange Julio

Atlanta-Falcons-Most-Intriguing-Players.jpg

Falcons reporter Vaughn McClure revises his season prediction at the midway point of the season:

Preseason prediction: 9-7

Revised prediction: 6-10

Why the Falcons will finish worse: Sure, the 2-6 Falcons could get hot if the offense plays up to its capabilities, but that will be a difficult task unless QB Matt Ryan gets adequate protection and his receivers stop dropping passes. Remember, Ryan and the Falcons lost five offensive linemen to season-ending injured reserve since the preseason. Plus Ryan doesn't have a tight end threat like Tony Gonzalez as a safety net this season, and it shows.

Even if the offense is able to overcome the challenges mentioned above, the Falcons' porous defense won't be able to hold up its end of the bargain. A non-existent pass rush currently ranked dead last in the league with just seven sacks is unlikely to improve enough to keep opposing quarterbacks from making big third-down plays. The Falcons don't have depth at linebacker, and the defensive backfield includes three players just in their second NFL seasons who have to defend longer because of the lack of pressure up front.

I can see the Falcons having a flashback to Week 3 against Tampa Bay and somehow putting it all together on both sides of the ball for an unexpected triumph over the Pittsburgh Steelers at the Georgia Dome (Dec. 14), which would leave fans angry and asking why the team couldn't play in the same fashion the entire season. It's possible for the Falcons to sneak a road win or two in, starting with Sunday's rematch at Tampa Bay. But four more victories in the second half of the NFL schedule won't save the Falcons' season.

Vaughn McClure

ESPN Atlanta Falcons reporter

Full Story: http://espn.go.com/b...=espnapi_public

I'm afraid that 6-10 would be enough to let Dimitroff keep his job....and I feel like he hasn't earned that right.

I'll root for the Falcons to win every game. I don't have a "tanker" bone in my body.....but I don't trust Dimitroff to retool this roster.

I just don't.

I understand fellow Falcons fans who don't want the team to win anymore games so that changes will definitely happen.

I don't criticize or judge other fans who feel that way. It just isn't in me to want the Falcons to lose games.

I understand fellow Falcons fans who don't want the team to win anymore games so that changes will definitely happen.

I don't criticize or judge other fans who feel that way. It just isn't in me to want the Falcons to lose games.

I'll always cheer for this team on every snap in every game. I want to not lose a game for the rest of the year. But IF we lose, I'd be able to find the silver lining.

I'm afraid that 6-10 would be enough to let Dimitroff keep his job....and I feel like he hasn't earned that right.

I'll root for the Falcons to win every game. I don't have a "tanker" bone in my body.....but I don't trust Dimitroff to retool this roster.

I just don't.

Gritz but didn't he show signs this year bringing in Asamoah TJAX and Solai and Jake & Hageman via the draft?

I'm not saying he hasn't made mistakes but some of the off season stuff he has done has told me TD has realized where this team is weak and for me he's done his best in that respect.

Also behind the scenes bringing in more experience with Pioli & Devaney say's he may well have turned the corner there aswell just saying.

Gritz but didn't he show signs this year bringing in Asamoah TJAX and Solai and Jake & Hageman via the draft?

I'm not saying he hasn't made mistakes but some of the off season stuff he has done has told me TD has realized where this team is weak and for me he's done his best in that respect.

Also behind the scenes bringing in more experience with Pioli & Devaney say's he may well have turned the corner there aswell just saying.

I saw some slight improvement in TD's efforts in 2014. I guess I'm still scratching my head about 2013 and why he didn't make a stronger push for Avril and/or Bennett.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yep I hear you but on the field looks like a mess it doesn't look cohesive to me a miss mash of soughts.

2013 straight up 11 starters in 3 weeks no team is dealing with that.

I'm not saying TD is secure but for me his off season efforts may probably be enough to save his job,MS on the other hand he's gone.

Our fan base is sickening. Wanting to lose just so they hope our coaching staff is fired. This city will never win a superbowl with a fan base like ours.

There's one thing I can immediately think of that is more sickening than that to me.

One Falcon fan dictating how other genuine Falcons fans should act.

I CANNOT watch the Falcons and wish for them to lose..... BUT..... when they do lose, I don't get overly upset because I know we need to build through FA and the draft. My only fear is that when we lose and we secure a top 5 pick (maybe)...... WHO will be making that pick because it may just be a waste of a pick