Using Our Players The Right Way

Flyin' In DC

I am sitting here watching the Steelers and Ravens game and wondering wow they draft the best de/lb's every time. Why can't every single defensive draft pick we have make the pro bowl and pressure the QB or drop in coverage.

I then realize that it is partially the players fault but mostly the scheme and/or Defensive Coordinator. The reason the Steelers and Ravens are good defensively ALWAYS is they know how to use their players.

I figured I would start this discussion since someone seems to think if we drafted anyone else than players on our roster we would have won the Superbowl already

Guest facelessman07

Mike Smith knows what he's doing...

He said we'd get hot in the second half

Just have to stay the course

We're not showing our D hand till we get to the playoffs

Edited by facelessman07

I am sitting here watching the Steelers and Ravens game and wondering wow they draft the best de/lb's every time. Why can't every single defensive draft pick we have make the pro bowl and pressure the QB or drop in coverage.

I then realize that it is partially the players fault but mostly the scheme and/or Defensive Coordinator. The reason the Steelers and Ravens are good defensively ALWAYS is they know how to use their players.

I figured I would start this discussion since someone seems to think if we drafted anyone else than players on our roster we would have won the Superbowl already

I basically made a thread about the same thing. Its simple. We don't have a philosophy on defense. Therefore, we don't know what type of player to look for. We currently have a hodge podge of both 3-4 and 4-3 dlineman and linebackers. We are a mess right now.

Edited by rollo lawson

What kills me is watching Dallas take a collective group of nobodies and actually doing well defensively...

14th in ypg and 9th in ppg with megabust Rolando McClain, Henry Melton, and 9 guys whose names I don't know out there. You can't tell me they have significantly more talent than we do on D.

I said the same thing to all the people who want TD gone before Smitty. I'm starting to think it's the coaching. No way a GM can miss on so many players. Most of our rookies and draftees never even get a chance to play to be considered a bust

What kills me is watching Dallas take a collective group of nobodies and actually doing well defensively...

That happens when the players believe in the system and are being used to their max potential. Mike Nolan and Co. like to drop Tyson Jackson back for pass coverage and have him play Defensive Tackle in a 4-3 look. Falcons are way over their head on what they want to do and what they are capable of doing. Tyson Jackson needs to play the same role he did for KC and we need to stop trying to mix and match the sorry excuse of a defensive alignment.

That happens when the players believe in the system and are being used to their max potential. Mike Nolan and Co. like to drop Tyson Jackson back for pass coverage and have him play Defensive Tackle in a 4-3 look. Falcons are way over their head on what they want to do and what they are capable of doing. Tyson Jackson needs to play the same role he did for KC and we need to stop trying to mix and match the sorry excuse of a defensive alignment.

tyson jackson should be able to handle playing a 3 tech tackle, or even a little nose....thats what he does in nickel fronts in a 3-4 anyway.

It's actually very simple but Nolan doesn't get it lol. Thank god this staff will be gone after the season.

our schemes are fine defensively. its the way we use personnel. schematically, the NFL is pretty basic. some teams odd fronts, other teams run even fronts, but they all use 7 in the box in their base fronts. then there are the sub packages. the 4-2-5 and 2-4-5 are identical. the even front nickel package. then there is the 335 nickel, which is an odd front and uses 3 safeties...but i actually think it should only be run by 4-3 under teams, due to the odd front and requirement for 3 LB's.... our issues have less to do with the stuff and more to do with using babs as an edge rusher and massaquoi as a LB who drops into coverage....(and using biermann period.)

they look better because the Offense runs the ball consistently and keeps the weak defense off the field....when they get throw happy, the D is exposed and they lose...just like us

This.

Dallas has an O-Line we could only dream of. Literally all 5 of their starters are good. And all 5 would start over who we have. Then you add in Romo, Murray, Dez and Witten. That offense is almost impossible to stop when healthy and running the ball

The Dallas D is an example of what your defense can do when you have a DC who runs a simple scheme so players don't have to over think what they are meant to do.

Nolan is over scheming with the players we have.

100% agree. I noted the d-line combinations in the Lions game and it's crazy how many combinations we use. Cliff Matthews was on the field for significant amount of snaps--why? Just makes no sense to me...

Basically a similar DL, only there are seriously going with a 4-3. Its pretty interesting, they made the shift without a 3-4. MOST interesting is Melton (a AFMB favorite) leads them with 3.5 sacks.

They are committed to one scheme. I know you repeatedly say we can be multiple, and I agree. But we have no clue who or what we have on the front 7, nor how to play them. The Cowboys committed to one scheme and let the players play where they win. Smitty and Nolan are too focused on making the scheme work instead of letting the players succeed.

Pure coaching plain and simple.

Smitty and Nolan are too focused on making the scheme work instead of letting the players succeed.

As much as I defend Koetter, throw him in that group as well. He dials back his offense somewhat when we lack protection (he has to -- there are only so many men you can have on the field at one time). But he doesn't' dial up the running game or do anything else to help alleviate the pressure.

As much as I defend Koetter, throw him in that group as well. He dials back his offense somewhat when we lack protection (he has to -- there are only so many men you can have on the field at one time). But he doesn't' dial up the running game or do anything else to help alleviate the pressure.

He does but he has to use so many blockers that defenses load the box and it's hard for it to be effective. That said, I'm not 100% sold that the mix of run/pass is his call and not at the direction of someone else...

I will not appologize for regurgitating the topic that I statted last night,

but here goes.

Our Defense was better under Van Gorder.

Kinda makes you want to drive to the branch and start hanging a foot up

some asz,, a lot of aszes too, Starting with Blank, and

then cap it of by drop kicking Nolan through the Gates of Oakland!

14th in ypg and 9th in ppg with megabust Rolando McClain, Henry Melton, and 9 guys whose names I don't know out there. You can't tell me they have significantly more talent than we do on D.

They don't. They control the clock on offense and have gotten decent play because of high quality coaching.

OP wants to know why we don't use our players the right way.....I ask "why don't we use our players?"