Drafting A Rb In The 1St

XXVIII-III

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the thing, I think some of you are caught up on draft status. By that we should draft in the 2nd or wait until UDFA. Its not about draft status. Last year there were no 1st round RB's because the talent pool wasn't there. Then many of these guys are doing well based on scheme.

Look at our OL. Its made for a running game, but not a passing game. Just watching a game or look at the fact we are averaging 4.3ypc. If that's the case you go with the hot hand and get a RB early and get your pass rush in the FA. There is a good crop in the FA next year and I say make it happen. The talent pool at RB thins out after the 3rd though, you can still do pretty well.

Lots of you wanted guys like Gillislee and Seastrunk in the past couple of years. I am not great at offense but I know RB's because as a player I feared them more than a passing game.

You have to play it smart. Next year I think teams are going to be scrounging for backs early and hard. The reason is the pass game has been found out and teams aren't holding without the run as much.

The thing about it, most really don't understand the importance of a good run game for Ryan. Many think we can compare to other teams and noon, we can do it. Not so...look at facts. Our OL is good with the run.

Ive accepted this after watching this season. Ryan cant be asked to throw 40+ times a game. It was a mistake to ever expect that from him. We can still be an explosive offense while running the ball 30-35 times. Im really starting to like Pep Hamilton, the Offensive Coordinator in Indy. He has Andrew Luck but maintains balance in his offense. I think it really helps Luck stay efficient. Here is a good read about him: http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/09/19/colts-offense-drastically-different-than-manning-years/15911069/ I would love to see him running our offense. He is exactly what we need.

Ive accepted this after watching this season. Ryan cant be asked to throw 40+ times a game. It was a mistake to ever expect that from him. We can still be an explosive offense while running the ball 30-35 times. Im really starting to like Pep Hamilton, the Offensive Coordinator in Indy. He has Andrew Luck but maintains balance in his offense. I think it really helps Luck stay efficient. Here is a good read about him: http://www.indystar..../15911069/Â Â I would love to see him running our offense. He is exactly what we need.

I've been saying that for years buddy. Its the thing I didn't like when they drafted him. I thought for sure they would try something like this eventually. Its never a good idea.

Wow, I have to add to this. I didn't realize 1st round RBs were THIS bad.

Here are the next few previous years to the ones i already listed. I won't skip anybody

Jahvid Best

Knowshon Moreno

Beanie Wells

Darren Mcfadden

Jonathan Stewart

Felix Jones

That is every first round RB drafted SINCE Peterson.

Why dont you go ahead and list every QB taken in the 1st round too? Ill go ahead and take it back to 2007: JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn. 2008: Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco. 2009: Matt Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman. 2010: Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow. 2011: Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blain Gabbert, Christian Ponder. 2012: Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden. 2013: EJ Manuel. 2014: Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater. Thats 8 drafts...you have Ryan, Flacco, Stafford, Newton, Luck, and maybe Griffin. But tell me some more about this QB driven league....

Why dont you go ahead and list every QB taken in the 1st round too? Ill go ahead and take it back to 2007: JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn. 2008: Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco. 2009: Matt Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman. 2010: Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow. 2011: Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blain Gabbert, Christian Ponder. 2012: Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden. 2013: EJ Manuel. 2014: Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater. Thats 8 drafts...you have Ryan, Flacco, Stafford, Newton, Luck, and maybe Griffin. But tell me some more about this QB driven league....

Many teams are trying to get the run going because defenses are aware of this QB driven league and are getting to the QB's. This is why so many OL's look bad this year. They are TRYING to get the QB. Most teams know we are most likely going to pass and tee off on Ryan. Ryan has 15 TD's and 8 INT's. Not because of the OL, but because of being predictable.

I've been saying that for years buddy. Its the thing I didn't like when they drafted him. I thought for sure they would try something like this eventually. Its never a good idea.

You are absolutely right. haha. I'll be a man an own my mistakes. I got caught up in it all. Ryan, Julio, the high flying passing game...its fun, but you need that running game to keep it afloat. And it's not that I think Ryan is a bad player, it's just that its starting to look like this "passing league" isnt as high flying as people were starting to think. Im seeing the trend back to the ground game too. It will have to happen. There are just too many bad passing teams for it to continue to be the universal style league wide.

You are absolutely right. haha. I'll be a man an own my mistakes. I got caught up in it all. Ryan, Julio, the high flying passing game...its fun, but you need that running game to keep it afloat. And it's not that I think Ryan is a bad player, it's just that its starting to look like this "passing league" isnt as high flying as people were starting to think. Im seeing the trend back to the ground game too. It will have to happen. There are just too many bad passing teams for it to continue to be the universal style league wide.

Truth, its been attempted before. The late 80's and early 90's. Cost a lot of jobs and messed up a lot of good QB's. You think Warren Moon would have done better in his prime with a better run game?

EDIT: Bro, I'm not that smart, its just if I've already seen a movie I can tell you the end. Ryan is a good QB who is being badly misused. He would have a SB win by now if he were a Cowboy or Texan.

Truth, its been attempted before. The late 80's and early 90's. Cost a lot of jobs and messed up a lot of good QB's. You think Warren Moon would have done better in his prime with a better run game?

The Run and Shoot days...Ive read about those offenses. Interesting stuff. Its hard to believe NFL teams actually went that extreme for a while

Why? They did it again now. Its just they came on out and called it the spread.

yeah...i mean, its not that i hate the spread. it can be done well at the college level, but a lot of these teams try to do it and fail at the NFL level. it just doesnt work for a sustained period of time because they usually become predictable.

EDIT: Bro, I'm not that smart, its just if I've already seen a movie I can tell you the end. Ryan is a good QB who is being badly misused. He would have a SB win by now if he were a Cowboy or Texan.

No way, you mean a player on this team is being misused and would play better with a coach that used him differently? No way.

Look at our OL. Its made for a running game, but not a passing game. Just watching a game or look at the fact we are averaging 4.3ypc. If that's the case you go with the hot hand and get a RB early and get your pass rush in the FA. There is a good crop in the FA next year and I say make it happen. The talent pool at RB thins out after the 3rd though, you can still do pretty well.

4.3ypc is misleading as you have some aintone smith runs in there they skew the average favourably. Im not sold on our oline being a run based oline. Matthews, asomagh, blalock are all better pass than run blockers. We lack a true mauler since Dahl and Clabo left - they they were run blockers first

Matt Ryan is a very good game manager QB. He just doesn't have those intangibles (physical gifts) that allow him to get it done without a strong running game and good defence. Nothing wrong with that though - not every team can have Aaron rogers, drew brees or peyton manning. He's not Super Mega Ultra Radical Uber Bestest Ever! hes just very good.