Drafting A Rb In The 1St

XXVIII-III

It's obvious that we have a lot of holes to fill and spending our first rd pick on a running back this year would be kind of silly. But, what if that running back would have been Adrian Peterson. Seeing how Peterson's career has unfolded, would you pass on him in this years draft? That is the potential that Todd Gurley has.

I know, "not another Todd Gurley thread", but I wanted to ask this question from the perspective of the type of player that he could potentially be.

Let's say we know for a fact that Gurley would be more dynamic than Peterson, do you take him then?

Edited by KL

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if that RB is Trent Richardson, Doug Martin, David Wilson, Mark Ingram, CJ Spiller, Ryan Mathews.....you get the point.

Those are the last 7 RB's drafted in the 1st round btw. They aren't cherry picked.

Wow, I have to add to this. I didn't realize 1st round RBs were THIS bad.

Here are the next few previous years to the ones i already listed. I won't skip anybody

Jahvid Best

Knowshon Moreno

Beanie Wells

Darren Mcfadden

Jonathan Stewart

Felix Jones

That is every first round RB drafted SINCE Peterson.

Guest facelessman07

Address needs early and hard in FA

Trade back in 1st round to acquire more picks

Draft BPA, this team needs competition across the board. Tired of reaching for need

If that BPA is Gurley, you take him. It would be foolish not to

Lol at some people comparing Gurley to other RB's taken in the 1st. Dude is on a completely different level than they are. He IS a rare talent

Edited by facelessman07

Address needs early and hard in FA

Trade back in 1st round to acquire more picks

Draft BPA, this team needs competition across the board. Tired of reaching for need

If that BPA is Gurley, you take him. It would be foolish not to

Have we not used up enough premium assets on the offense already? Top 3 pick, two top 6 picks that included another 1st. Everybody keeps screaming for defense, but nobody wants to spend on it. We keep being cheap with the defense and we keep getting a cheap result.

Here are the next few previous years to the ones i already listed. I won't skip anybody

Jahvid Best

Knowshon Moreno

Beanie Wells

Darren Mcfadden

Jonathan Stewart

Felix Jones

AP makes everybody a better player, no matter how good or bad.

Guest facelessman07

Have we not used up enough premium assets on the offense already? Top 3 pick, two top 6 picks that included another 1st. Everybody keeps screaming for defense, but nobody wants to spend on it. We keep being cheap with the defense and we keep getting a cheap result.

Did you not read my entire post? Apparently not

This defense will also benefit immensely from a coaching change and utilizing players properly

The 69'er strikes again

Guest facelessman07

He also has 1 career playoff win just like us since he was drafted. How much of an impact is he really making?

There's a reason that there hasn't been a 1st round RB in two years....

Cause none of the RB's the past 2 years, or much longer for that matter, have the skill set of Gurley. There haven't been any 1st round talents

AP would have more than 1 playoff win if he didn't have incompetent QB's. Hard to make a significant impact in the playoffs when the rest of your team sucks

NFL Rushing leaders 2014

1. Demarco Murray, 3rd Round

2. Arian Foster, UDFA

3. Le'Veon Bell, 2nd round

4. Justin Forsett, 7th round

5. Matt Forte, 2nd round

6. Alfred Morris, 6th round

7. LeSean McCoy, 2nd round

8. Marshawn Lynch, 1st round

9. Chris Ivory, UDFA

10. Lamar Miller, 4th round

Why waste a 1st on a rb?

RBs are devalued, but the draft is a total crapshoot outside of the top 5 picks anyway. i say just pick the guys you like and dont worry about what the rest of the league thinks. seriously, NFL GMs are terrible at evaluating talent and recognizing value. if they were smart at all, they would trade all their draft picks for active players (who are ridiculously undervalued) and load up on proven talent, then take projects in the draft. unless you have a top 5-10 draft pick, you might as well pick last. you can get the same level of talent from pick 15 to pick 50. seriously. its a crapshoot.

It's obvious that we have a lot of holes to fill and spending our first rd pick on a running back this year would be kind of silly. But, what if that running back would have been Adrian Peterson. Seeing how Peterson's career has unfolded, would you pass on him in this years draft? That is the potential that Todd Gurley has.

I know, "not another Todd Gurley thread", but I wanted to ask this question from the perspective of the type of player that he could potentially be.

Let's say we know for a fact that Gurley would be more dynamic than Peterson, do you take him then?

This Falcons team is about as crappy or even more crappy than Minnesota was when they drafted Peterson, and guess what? It amounted to nothing for the Vikings to draft AP. As great as Peterson was, the Viking defense was still terrible, and the Viking OL was not really any good either. They only finally won something when they got Farve, but that was not enough either.

If all you want is the occasional highlight of an RB breaking a long run, then yes, lets spend a low 1st on a RB. Of course we have a highlight back now with Antone Smith, and guess what? It hasn't amounted to anything for the Falcons.

Jahvid Best

Knowshon Moreno

Beanie Wells

Darren Mcfadden

Jonathan Stewart

Felix Jones

So you're saying a 1st round RB is due stardom then.....

Lol

NFL Rushing leaders 2014

2. Arian Foster, UDFA

5. Matt Forte, 2nd round

9. Chris Ivory, UDFA

Why waste a 1st on a rb?

We too often pay too much attention to the round of the draft and often not the player.

Gurley has that AP position like none of the other recent 1st rd picks for RBs.

Look at the player, not the round.

Positions of need:

RT (not generally a 1st round pick)

Pass rusher

LB

LG

RB

We could pick up 3 of these in FA and so far none of the pass rushers in the top 10 of the draft look promising. I definitely would rather we pick Gurley instead of reaching.

NFL Rushing leaders 2014

2. Arian Foster, UDFA

5. Matt Forte, 2nd round

9. Chris Ivory, UDFA

Why waste a 1st on a rb?

Just about every position group you could think of would have less 1'st rounders than other rounds in the top 10. QB and maybe OT being exceptions.

RBs are devalued, but the draft is a total crapshoot outside of the top 5 picks anyway. i say just pick the guys you like and dont worry about what the rest of the league thinks. seriously, NFL GMs are terrible at evaluating talent and recognizing value. if they were smart at all, they would trade all their draft picks for active players (who are ridiculously undervalued) and load up on proven talent, then take projects in the draft. unless you have a top 5-10 draft pick, you might as well pick last. you can get the same level of talent from pick 15 to pick 50. seriously. its a crapshoot.

Agreed. Another thing to consider is that there wasn't a running back picked in round 1 last year which may happen again. So, you can pretty much look at round 2-3 for runningbacks as if they were round 1.