Gm Dimitroff Silent As Falcons Sink

FentayeJones

via the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

A day after the Jets lost their seventh game in a row, general manager Don Idzik sat alone in front of the cameras and microphones to take the heat. His inquisitors wanted to know why the Jets are so bad.

“Ultimately, I’m responsible for the performance of our team, the product that we put on the field,” he said. “That lies with me. The buck stops here.”

A day after the Falcons collapsed in a loss to the Lions, coach Mike Smith sat alone in front of the cameras and microphones to take the heat. His inquisitors wanted to know how the Falcons have gone from 56-24 in his first five seasons to losing 18 of their last 24 games.

“I haven’t done a good enough job, plain and simple,” Smith said. “Ultimately it’s my responsibility.”

Actually, there’s another senior Falcons official who shares in that responsibility. But general manager Thomas Dimitroff, as usual, was nowhere to be found. Dimitroff has declined all interview requests sent through team PR during the season, just as he did during last season.

Dimitroff’s silence means Smith is taking all the punches as the public face of the Falcons. Dimitroff and Smith have always presented themselves as a partnership but, with things going bad, Smith is solo. Smith is the middle manager left to explain some of Dimitroff’s decisions to the public, while Dimitroff is in the background sending disapproving text messages to reporters who criticize those decisions.

Unlike Smith, Dimitroff is under no obligation to have regular interviews with reporters. Some media types get bent out of shape when get team officials won't do interviews but I’ve always shrugged it off. It’s usually not in the best interests of GMs to offer specifics about their mistakes, and it's not as if their silence will prevent media from pointing them out anyway.

Still, there are some fair questions for Dimitroff as another Falcons season goes down the toilet.

Why did he choose to keep depending on oft-injured left tackle Sam Baker? Why didn’t he add any edge pass rushers? Why use a second-round pick on a player (Ra’Shede Hageman) who has gone on to play just 21 percent of the defensive snaps? Why are so many of his draft picks not producing? Where is the toughness team owner Arthur Blank demanded?

Even if Dimitroff were evasive on those questions, there could be some value to the Falcons if he at least fielded them. Bill Polian, the former Colts general manager and team president, explained it during a recent segment on ESPN’s “NFL Insider.”

“Many years ago, Jim Finks, the great Hall of Fame general manager of the Saints, told me the job of the general manager during the season was to take the bullets for everybody else in the organization,” Polian said. “To his credit, Don Idzik did that yesterday. You can do it the way he did it, which is at the halfway mark of the season. I’m not sure that that might be the ideal, particularly in a market like New York because if you are playing the way they play, there is not much you can say.”

Maybe that’s why Dimitroff stays silent. There’s probably no explanations he could offer that would make Falcons fans feel any better. It could backfire if he comes off as too defensive. Dimitroff can't say anything that would appear to put him in conflict with Smith. Blank always has his antennas up so perhaps Dimitroff decided it’s best for him not to send any public signals.

Whatever the reasons, Smith is left to take the bullets for another sinking Falcons season as Dimitroff takes cover.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/gm-dimitroff-silent-falcons-sink/nhxCx/

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stuff like this pisses me off.....

"Why did he choose to keep depending on oft-injured left tackle Sam Baker? Why didn’t he add any edge pass rushers? Why use a second-round pick on a player (Ra’Shede Hageman) who has gone on to play just 21 percent of the defensive snaps? Why are so many of his draft picks not producing? Where is the toughness team owner Arthur Blank demanded?"

First we did not "depend" on Sam Baker............ that is why we drafted Matthews and kept Holmes both of who could play LT.

We wanted Baker to be the LT but we had a couple back up plans in place in case he did not come back healthy.

Asking TD why Hageman is only playing a certain % is not a question you ask the GM... that is a question you ask the position coach and Dc who is calling the plays that include certain packages.

Asking why the young players are having communication issues on the back end.............. also is a question for the coaching staff.

Asking about the edge rushers is a fair question except for the fact it is documented that TD went after a couple pass rushers but did not give up what other teams wanted ( could you imagine what would it be like had he given up what the Texans wanted for Clowney with him being hurt?)...We also tried to trade up for Ford...that did not work

We also drafted 2 edge rushers the last 3 years that despite showing promise.... can not get on the field on big situations....which again is a coaching question.

I would be silent too if I got ask these questions that I was not the best person to answer.

This is just more lazy "journalism"

Why would he to me its basically a stay of execution MS is definitely gone and for me TD is on the clock.

There's nothing to see or read here TD ultimately know's he like Smith's head is on the block at this point in time both guys are like a guy waiting for a stay before execution.

Gotta love the media stating the obvious throwing another dart at a board thats already loaded.

I am glad someone has actually brought this up besides just on this message board. Some think there is nothing he can say to make us feel better, but i disagree.

If he came out and admitted he goofed on certain things then I would definitely feel better. Atleast acknowledging that he knows he is a large part of the problem would make me thing more highly of him.

Yea, I understand fans being frustrated but I'm not sure what you want him to say at this stage. You could ask questions but what answers do you think you're going to get that are going to put you at ease? Clearly he's made some mistakes and he's stewing over where he went wrong as we speak and wondering how it can be corrected if he's fortunate enough to keep his job. Answering a bunch of questions as to why we suck right now won't really accomplish much. If anything I think it will be detrimental b/c it will lead to people picking his statements apart and putting him at odds with Smitty. He'll have to answer for it at the end of the season...trust me.

Yea, I understand fans being frustrated but I'm not sure what you want him to say at this stage. You could ask questions but what answers do you think you're going to get that are going to put you at ease? Clearly he's made some mistakes and he's stewing over where he went wrong as we speak and wondering how it can be corrected if he's fortunate enough to keep his job. Answering a bunch of questions as to why we suck right now won't really accomplish much. If anything I think it will be detrimental b/c it will lead to people picking his statements apart and putting him at odds with Smitty. He'll have to answer for it at the end of the season...trust me.

Not to mention as I mentioned the questions the writer asked are questions of the HC... not the GM.

To use an old Bill Parcells analogy.....

If you get a plate of runny eggs and soggy toast..... you ask the guy who made the eggs and toast why they are like they are.... you do not ask the person who bought the eggs and bread.

Asking the Gm why Hageman is only playing a certain % of the snaps is frankly stupid.

I'm not going to defend TD, he's made mistakes, but the Hageman pick was made at the request of the coaching staff becaue Brian Cox coached him at the Senior Bowl.

We have drafted a few pass rushers like Mass, Goodman, Maponga, and Shembo, and acquired a proven FA in Osi, in which the coaching staff would rather have Kroy Biermann out there.

I'll be honest, I can't judge our talent until I see a competent coaching staff does with them.

stuff like this pisses me off.....

"Why did he choose to keep depending on oft-injured left tackle Sam Baker? Why didn’t he add any edge pass rushers? Why use a second-round pick on a player (Ra’Shede Hageman) who has gone on to play just 21 percent of the defensive snaps? Why are so many of his draft picks not producing? Where is the toughness team owner Arthur Blank demanded?"

First we did not "depend" on Sam Baker............ that is why we drafted Matthews and kept Holmes both of who could play LT.

We wanted Baker to be the LT but we had a couple back up plans in place in case he did not come back healthy.

Asking TD why Hageman is only playing a certain % is not a question you ask the GM... that is a question you ask the position coach and Dc who is calling the plays that include certain packages.

Asking why the young players are having communication issues on the back end.............. also is a question for the coaching staff.

Asking about the edge rushers is a fair question except for the fact it is documented that TD went after a couple pass rushers but did not give up what other teams wanted ( could you imagine what would it be like had he given up what the Texans wanted for Clowney with him being hurt?)...We also tried to trade up for Ford...that did not work

We also drafted 2 edge rushers the last 3 years that despite showing promise.... can not get on the field on big situations....which again is a coaching question.

I would be silent too if I got ask these questions that I was not the best person to answer.

This is just more lazy "journalism"

You are the biggest Dimi nutthugger in the western hemisphere. You think he can do no wrong. He will be gone soon son.

I got 2 words for it.....

WITCH HUNT.

Fans Media and alike want to sensationalize it put it under the spotlight and ultimately play the blame game.

For me it goes without saying and stating the obvious thread after thread is pointless and achieves absolutely nothing.

Again the above is so easy to point out because its right in front of your face but in all reality they have no real fix hence the endless Rinse Wash Repeat of a given subject week after week......YAWN..

TD is a GM not a politician nor an actor - the fans do not vote for him nor do we buy tickets to go see him on the field.

The real entity determining his job is Arthur Blank. TD probably knows Blank very well by now and may be scoring more points having casual conversations with Blank about things than opening himself up to the torture of fan/media confrontations.

Smith, on the other hand, obviously has to spend more of his time on the playing field (instead of Blank's box at the game) and in weekly practices (instead of a lunch with Blank) and maybe has no opportunity to get as close to Blank. His only outlet to saving his coaching life is to try to get the media to feel sorry for him.

I see both of them with problems but am not surprised they are taking different approaches.

Fact! The Falcons are 2-6 at the halfway mark in the season in the weakest division in the NFL. Now someone is to blame so who is that? Injuries? Every team has them so who is to blame for the lack of depth? Why do we not develop any pass rushers? Ever?

Why do we keep playing some veterans who are not good enough to start on any other NFL team?

If anyone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it.

The simple fact of the matter is this..

For the last two seasons this team and staff has been nothing short of unsatisfactory. On any and every level. I don't believe in "windows" to reach the Super bowl or "hard knocks curses" or any other BS the media and or falcons fans want to theorize. What I do believe in is results. Since 1982 I have watched one failed regime after another come and go. Flashes of winning and then back to the depths of despair for us as fans.

Things need to once again change and it means little who takes the fall for the latest in a long line of failures. The best thing the current owner could do is clean house. Period. It is time for a change. No sugar coating to keep it sweet. no reflecting on how good things were from 2008 to 2012. Back to flashes of winning I say! If it's only for a short while then so be it!! it is painfully obvious that this current build is not working. Tear it down and start over..

The simple fact of the matter is this..

For the last two seasons this team and staff has been nothing short of unsatisfactory. On any and every level. I don't believe in "windows" to reach the Super bowl or "hard knocks curses" or any other BS the media and or falcons fans want to theorize. What I do believe in is results. Since 1982 I have watched one failed regime after another come and go. Flashes of winning and then back to the depths of despair for us as fans.

Things need to once again change and it means little who takes the fall for the latest in a long line of failures. The best thing the current owner could do is clean house. Period. It is time for a change. No sugar coating to keep it sweet. no reflecting on how good things were from 2008 to 2012. Back to flashes of winning I say! If it's only for a short while then so be it!! it is painfully obvious that this current build is not working. Tear it down and start over..

applause-gif-tumblr-47_original.gif

Further more,

IMO these are the tools that need to be released.

Kroy. Cya.. wouldn't want to be ya! The only thing he ever had going for him was those cool red contacts but **** it aint halloween every day.. Bubye!

Jackson.. Really? We drop one washed up running back for another? nice.. just nice... BUBUYE!!

The ENTIRE offensive line "I know not possible",outside of Mathews.. He seriously is the only one I see even remotely making a statement of pride and he at times screws up more than he is successful. Bubye! Oline.

A few quick questions-observations.....

Why on earth do you take our two Very GOOD corners and put them in zones and lost coverages so often? It honestly is ********. leave them man to man when able with the two best recivers and go with it. bump and roll. give them a **** chance to make a play.. Those two can cover anyone in this league if we allow them to. It's just dumb not playing them towards they're potential and instead away from it.

What the **** good is 4 running backs? it has never been any good for a team and never will. Give one of them primary carries and go from there. for god's sake none of them can get into a groove when they can't feel the defense for more than one play a series? Wtf thinking is this? Keep em fresh and losing each week? seriously? pick a **** back for Christ sakes.. go with.. and make sure it aint JACKSON.

Ok rant done..

crawling back to my "WISHING AND HOPING" section..

oh yeah..

Go Falcons!