Mike Smith: One Game At A Time

Orange Julio

Britain%20Lions%20Falcons%20Football-1.jpgFLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Although his team is 2-6 and a long shot to make the playoffs, Atlanta Falcons coach Mike Smith is not worried about his job security as this juncture.

Smith addressed the media Monday, a day after the Falcons blew a 21-point lead and lost to the Detroit Lions 22-21 in London.

Smith was asked Monday if he has any concerns about job security, with his team on a five-game losing streak.

"No," Smith said. "None whatsoever. We're going to do what we've done for the last six-plus years and prepare each and every week like we know how to do it. And I'm going to continue to do that until Mr. Blank tells me otherwise.''

Team owner Arthur Blank recently told ESPN.com he had confidence in both Smith and general manager Thomas Dimitroff to guide a turnaround and said he would wait to see how the season plays out before evaluating changes. But Blank was noticeably frustrated after Sunday's loss in London, telling the Atlanta Journal-Constitution: "There's no way you lose that game -- just no way. There's nothing else I can say."

Smith was asked if he felt a little more pressure based on Blank's public comments about the loss.

"I talk to Mr. Blank after every game and I think that those conversations do stay private,'' Smith said. "And I do agree with him. When you're up 21-0 at halftime, you should not lose that football game.''

Two seasons ago, Smith guided the Falcons to a 13-3 record and a NFC title game appearance. But in the past 24 games, the Falcons are 6-18.

"I haven't done a good enough job, plain and simple,'' Smith said. "Because ultimately, it's my responsibility. So I haven't done the job that I need to do. I've let down the players, the coaches, and the fans thus far. But I think what we plan on doing, we plan on getting hot and making a really good second half of this season.''

By Vaughn McClure

http://espn.go.com/n...e-losing-streak</p></p>

I really feel bad for him. He has a lot of character. He's the type of person that you have a lot of respect for. But ****, dude can't coach. Not anymore at least. I honestly hope after the bye week we wake up from a bad dream and we go 9-7 and 10-6 and all is well again, but to be honest I wouldn't put a dime on that bet. Chances are he's gone after this season.

Edited by likeriver

You all can keep beating the TD drum, but I still like his past two drafts and our last free agency period.

TD isn't the reason we are seeing Kroy and Babs, and not seeing Antone, Hageman and Southward.

I still love Jake Matthews as a prospect and think he is a franchise player next year after he gets healthy and has a true NFL offseason.

You all can keep beating the TD drum, but I still like his past two drafts and our last free agency period.

TD isn't the reason we are seeing Kroy and Babs, and not seeing Antone, Hageman and Southward.

I still love Jake Matthews as a prospect and think he is a franchise player next year after he gets healthy and has a true NFL offseason.

Same; Tru, Jake, Alf, Asa, Sol, Jackson, Alf, Lolo, Hest, Ish, Shembo, Worr... We've gained lots of good players the last two years. Smitty just doesn't use most of them right.

It's laughable for them to say this team is a long shot to make the playoffs. This team is a long shot to win just 2 more games, and I truly don't think they can do that. ****, I'd be surprised if they win anymore games this year. Such a sad, disappointing, hot mess this team is right now.

Ummm. No. You couldnt beat an undermanned Vikings team and got embarrassed at home by a weak Chicago team. You got the saints and green bay on the road. Cleveland and Pittsburgh? You are done Smith. If you won the last to games I would have hope. But since you crapped the bed the last two games. GTFO.

With the Saints winning tonight, anything that comes out of this squads mouth concerning winning annoys the **** out of me. They should be in first place. They had games they SHOULD have won...but didn't because they play dumb, soft and scared with luck sprinkled in. "One game at a time" lol I hate this man so much now. I used to buy into his bull and if hes lost the majority of the fans I cant even fathom what the players who actually play the game think of him.