Dan Reeves On 680 Now

Which is exactly what infuriated me about that play. It wasn't Julio dropping it, though that obviously annoyed me, but how can these coaches justify doing that. It's a close game yet you decide to not run the clock down further when they have no timeouts left. I don't care if whoever ran the ball was TFL, the clock would have still been running and they would have still been pinned deep into their territory but in this scenario with significantly less time to drive the ball down the field. It was dumb, pure and simple, yet that **** has become expected from this staff.

Which is exactly what infuriated me about that play. It wasn't Julio dropping it, though that obviously annoyed me, but how can these coaches justify doing that. It's a close game yet you decide to not run the clock down further when they have no timeouts left. I don't care if whoever ran the ball was TFL, the clock would have still been running and they would have still been pinned deep into their territory but in this scenario with significantly less time to drive the ball down the field. It was dumb, pure and simple, yet that **** has become expected from this staff.

exactly. even a 3rd grader would know that you run the ball to keep the clock going. mike smith tried to outsmart himself

The play before that was the real headscratcher when you think about it. They take their final timeout with 1:55 left after our 1st down play. Take 2 knees and a delay of game, then punt it back to them. No holding is possible, no drops are possible. Even our **** D could prevent them from getting into FG range in 25 seconds.

Pretty much.. being conservative and that 3rd down play call was an incredibly baffling decision. Cannot believe we opted for the lame screen pass there.

YOU DON'T THROW ON 3RD DOWN WHEN THE OTHER TEAM HAS NO TIMEOUTS!

In my more cynical thoughts, if the coaches secretly had money bet on the Falcons in this game and the Falcons were a 3.5 points favorite, then having the team try to get close enough for another field goal has some perverse logic. However, the Falcons in the London game were 3.5 points UNDERDOGS, so by both straight-up and betting line the Falcons had the game won; the strategy made absolutely no sense.I will be amazed if Arthur Blank actually fires Mike Smith before the end of the season; it won't do any good now and I don't think Blank works like that. But barring the most unlikely of turnarounds, come Monday, December 29, 2014 I expect Coach Smith to be dismissed.

The play before that was the real headscratcher when you think about it. They take their final timeout with 1:55 left after our 1st down play. Take 2 knees and a delay of game, then punt it back to them. No holding is possible, no drops are possible. Even our **** D could prevent them from getting into FG range in 25 seconds.

This. ^^^ I think we needed to play for the first down after that first holding call. That's what led to the Julio drop. Everyone pissed that we threw the ball there would have been just as pissed if we'd run for no gain and then punted it to the Lions and they still got in FG range with the 50+ seconds they would've had left. Which they would've done.

Edited by Coach_Petrino

This. ^^^ I think we needed to play for the first down after that first holding call. That's what led to the Julio drop. Everyone pissed that we threw the ball there would have been just as pissed if we'd run for no gain and then punted it to the Lions and they still got in FG range with the 50+ seconds they would've had left. Which they would've done.

No, it would've killed the clock, the same as Julio not dropping an easy catch and even in his own words all he needed to do was catch it and fall down.

The Lions almost did a good enough job of mucking up on that final drive with the time they did have, let alone with 40 seconds less that they wouldn't have had if the simple play that should've been called had been.

No, it would've killed the clock, the same as Julio not dropping an easy catch and even in his own words all he needed to do was catch it and fall down.

The Lions almost did a good enough job of mucking up on that final drive with the time they did have, let alone with 40 seconds less that they wouldn't have had if the simple play that should've been called had been.

I like Julio but there's no way he said all he had to do was catch it and fall down.

The we screen was working really well throughout that game and I can understand why it was called. Very good success with it, you know lions are selling out for the run, could very well have been a big gain.

Everybody said we should have just ran it and I agree but we also tried to put the ball in the hands of our playmaker and he didn't make a play there.

We asked him to catch a ball his numbers were squared up on, it's not like we threw it deep or a back shoulder fade.

This? He's not at all saying what you're saying. "TAKE TWO KNEES." Not "Throw on 3rd." The math: Barring another stupid holding penalty on a running play, running guarantees 30+ seconds off the clock before punting. Passing is 50% or less chance of completion and probably less than 50% chance of getting the first down. If this isn't obvious stuff for you, you don't know Jack about football and should reevaluate voicing an opinion.

I like Julio but there's no way he said all he had to do was catch it and fall down.

Jones described his final play in the fourth quarter: "It was 3rd and 10 and I was just trying to make a play, just trying to do too much in that situation. I should have just caught the ball and just went down, even if I didn't gain a yard, we still could have run some time off the clock."

Yes Julio. Just make sure you keep the clock running whilst in possession.

Edited by Domed Outter

Actually they had the WR screen covered well on that 3rd down play.

Just because Julio almost broke it for a TD earlier in the drive does not mean you call it again though

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. He dropped the ball because he knew they had it sniffed out and tried to make a move before he caught the ball. Thus the "I should have caught it and fallen down" comment after the game. If he catches it, they still get the ball with a minute to go and still get a chance to kick a game winning FG.

YATZY!!!

giphy.gif?w=320

The we screen was working really well throughout that game and I can understand why it was called. Very good success with it, you know lions are selling out for the run, could very well have been a big gain.

Everybody said we should have just ran it and I agree but we also tried to put the ball in the hands of our playmaker and he didn't make a play there.

We asked him to catch a ball his numbers were squared up on, it's not like we threw it deep or a back shoulder fade.

You're missing the point. We did not need a big gain there. Trying to get one was too much risk for too little reward. The most important thing to do there was eat up maximum clock, and a dropped pass stops the clock.

****, we shoulda handed it to Antone Smith and let him run *BACKWARDS* before we tried a pass. (Not really. All we really needed was to take a knee. If you want to try to run and see if you get lucky with a first down, fine. But we lost the game because we threw an incomplete pass).

You're missing the point. We did not need a big gain there. Trying to get one was too much risk for too little reward. The most important thing to do there was eat up maximum clock, and a dropped pass stops the clock.

Actually, we did need a gain there of about 5 yards to kick a FG and end the game. If Stone hadn't committed the holding penalty on the previous play, you'd be right - we could've just run the clock out. As it stood though, kneeling on third down would still leave the Lions with 50+ seconds to kick a field goal and I don't think any of us would feel real great about that. We'd be talking about how Smith was way too conservative.

But you are right that we absolutely did need to keep running clock, which Julio failed to do.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. He dropped the ball because he knew they had it sniffed out and tried to make a move before he caught the ball. Thus the "I should have caught it and fallen down" comment after the game. If he catches it, they still get the ball with a minute to go and still get a chance to kick a game winning FG.

110% accurate. He always drops the ball when he tries to make a move first, see his college tape and draft profile...but MS can't be putting a 22 point collapse on your star WR and QB, SOOO many other teams have less talent and look so much better :(, stafford cant throw on point for **** and has no CJ or Bush, or much of a running game, yet we still manage to blow a 3rd and 25 and many other big plays...somethings gotta give...and thats the coaching. look at Stone, Smith, douglas, mass...these guys all make plays but have been glued to the bench for way too long

This? He's not at all saying what you're saying. "TAKE TWO KNEES." Not "Throw on 3rd." The math: Barring another stupid holding penalty on a running play, running guarantees 30+ seconds off the clock before punting. Passing is 50% or less chance of completion and probably less than 50% chance of getting the first down. If this isn't obvious stuff for you, you don't know Jack about football and should reevaluate voicing an opinion.

I agree with taking two knees. But on the first one, we stopped the clock. And that changed the calculation on what to do on third down. We suddenly needed more points to make the Lions go for a TD instead of a FG. Maybe you feel differently, but I think the Lions can get into FG range against the Falcons more times than not if they have about 1 minute to do so.

the passing league.