Mr. Blank Might Solve The Whole Problem By.......

slider

I would rather have Robiskie, Armstrong, or Tice.

I know Nolan doesn't have a lot to work with... but that defense is horrible. Why reward him for doing a crappy job?

Moving someone out of a job that he seems to be doing well in ie...Tice, Koetter, Armstrong, and is needed to stay in for the stability of the team is bad for the team. Moving Nolan out of DC is not bad for the team. At the end of the year, you can do what you want but for the rest of the season, I'm not looking to reward anybody, I'm looking to maintain a little stability while possibly being able to improve on the problem side of the ball.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest facelessman07

Where is this clear proof?

The biggest difference between this Nolan defense and his others are the lack of a stud pass rusher.

Nolan calls the plays, Smitty doesn't.

I want Smitty fired but I want Nolan gone equally as much, this is his defense and it is horrible.

People like to give credit to Nolan for having good D's but he has always had great talent..... he isn't a great DC without it he doesn't play simple defense.

You want clear proof of the micromanagement of Mike Smith?

Look at what happened before halftime today

If he does it with the offense (a side of the ball he's never coached nor does he know anything about) then he's surely done it with the defense, considering his background

We've had talks like this in the past, you're a smart dude. You're not one of those idiots on here who knows nothing about football. You should know this man

You want clear proof of the micromanagement of Mike Smith?

Look at what happened before halftime today

If he does it with the offense (a side of the ball he's never coached nor does he know anything about) then he's surely done it with the defense, considering his background

We've had talks like this in the past, you're a smart dude. You're not one of those idiots on here who knows nothing about football. You should know this man

Mike Smith is a HC, his responsibility is not involved in play calling.... That is Nolan.

It is his job to manage the clock and call for what we are going for?

That was on Smith but that isn't micromanagement that is HC responsibility.

Nolan is not a good DC, if he was our D would play better than it's talent...... and it really isn't.

If I had to pick a Mike:

I will take any coaching change tomorrow over MIke Smith. MikeNolan has a 18-37 HC record, but I rather have Mike Tice and his 33-34 HC record. Give Tice a chance to get his coaching record above 500.

Then you lose his O-line hands on coaching. Who takes over the O-Line? Is moving Tice out of O-line coach better for the team or is moving Nolan out of DC better for the team. Moving Nolan to HC takes care of HC and DC problem at the same time. It's interim. At the end of the season, Nolan goes too in my opinion. I think Nolan does more damage at DC than HC. If you fire him too right now you get into a coaching carousel that totally destabilizes the team for good the rest of the way.

Guest facelessman07

Mike Smith is a HC, his responsibility is not involved in play calling.... That is Nolan.

It is his job to manage the clock and call for what we are going for?

That was on Smith but that isn't micromanagement that is HC responsibility.

Nolan is not a good DC, if he was our D would play better than it's talent...... and it really isn't.

Once again, as evidenced by today he is involved in play calling, even though he should stay far away from that

That IS micromanagement, it clearly is. Don't blame Nolan for a problem that has existed since before he got here

Agree to disagree

If I had to pick a Mike:

I will take any coaching change tomorrow over MIke Smith. MikeNolan has a 18-37 HC record, but I rather have Mike Tice and his 33-34 HC record. Give Tice a chance to get his coaching record above 500.

I maxed out my likes, but tice >>>>>>>>> mike no brain nolan

You're putting the defensive blame on Nolan when it's been proven that Smith micromanages and we still run the same schemes we had with BVG.

C'MON MAN

How has that been proven? If this is true, you're telling me that Nolan is meekly allowing Smitty to run his defense under his very nose. These things don't happen in this league. At least not for long. If Nolan is so Meek that Smitty can bully him into doing what he considers as wrong then what does that say about Nolan? Either way, He's to blame.

Guest facelessman07

How has that been proven? If this is true, you're telling me that Nolan is meekly allowing Smitty to run his defense under his very nose. These things don't happen in this league. At least not for long. If Nolan is so Meek that Smitty can bully him into doing what he considers as wrong then what does that say about Nolan? Either way, He's to blame.

Take off your rose colored glasses

This D plays with the same principles and schematics that were in use when BVG was here

Ever heard of a common denominator?

Once again, as evidenced by today he is involved in play calling, even though he should stay far away from that

That IS micromanagement, it clearly is. Don't blame Nolan for a problem that has existed since before he got here

Agree to disagree

The Head Coach conveys to his coordinators the overall strategy he wishes to apply, ie...let's run the ball more....slow the tempo down....don't get too aggressive now....those types of things. He doesn't call the plays! It doesn't happen! No NFL coordinator that has been around the block would allow that type of micro management. It is the HC's job to convey to coordinators the strategy to apply. Blame Smitty for that but Nolan determines personnel packages and D calls.

Edited by slider

only dude I'd even consider giving the interim on this staff that might have some potential is Armstrong. I think Robiskie has been an interim before. God knows we have 2 or 3 former HC rejects on the roster too, just say no to those guys.

Good thing the Pats didn't say no to Belichik after his HC stint at Cleveland, or the 'Hawks didn't reject Carroll from his NE gig...and the Broncos seem happy with Fox even though he got fired from Carolina...

just giving a difference of opinion...

Guest facelessman07

The Head Coach conveys to his coordinators the overall strategy he wishes to apply, ie...let's run the ball more....slow the tempo down....don't get too aggressive now....those types of things. He doesn't call the plays! It doesn't happen! No NFL coordinator that has been around the block would allow that type of micro management. It is the HC's job to convey to coordinators the strategy to apply. Blame Smitty for that but Nolan determines personnel packages and D calls.

Smith determines the gameplan and Nolan has to submit to what Smith wants

This is not a Nolan defense. Don't be fooled

I can talk more about this later, gotta get back to studying now

Good thing the Pats didn't say no to Belichik after his HC stint at Cleveland, or the 'Hawks didn't reject Carroll from his NE gig...and the Broncos seem happy with Fox even though he got fired from Carolina...

Belichick coached an 11-5 team and the last season was seen as not counting as the team was moving so they were never going to do well. Without that season he went 31-33.

Carroll went 27-21 in NE much better than what Nolan did.

Fox went 73-71 in Carolina.

Nolan went 18-37 that is unbelievably bad..... .327 win %

Since the NFCCG Smith has gone 6-18 a .333 win % THAT IS BETTER THAN WHAT NOLAN DID..... Nolan sucks at HC worse than he does at coaching our D.

Mike Tice is 10x better at HC than he is, and he isn't good.

Name them!

Bend but don't break... defend the field and wait for the other team to make a mistake...

I noticed today... There is TOO MUCH field to actually defend!! Great defenses and great defensive minded coaches know this... which is why great defenses don't "defend," they attack the other teams' offense... they attack the qb; they don't "rush"... they attack the ballcarrier; they don't "stop the run"... they attack the ball while it's in the air; they don't "play zone and tackle the receiver"

and someone might hire Smith in 2-3 years remembering he had 5 consecutive winning seasons in Atlanta, some teams havent been to the playoffs since the 90's, think they would say no to some success?

All the guys you mentioned had success or showed promise to get another job. I don't really see that in Tice or Nolan.

BB was Parcells find, people knew he was good, he started building what became the superbowl winning Ravens, he took the Browns to the playoffs, heck he is still the last coach to win a playoff game with the Browns.

Fox had a good run in Carolina, took them to a SB, Shanahan got another job too because he had success, so did Coughlin. My point is they were good at some point.

Just my 2 cents.

Belichick coached an 11-5 team and the last season was seen as not counting as the team was moving so they were never going to do well. Without that season he went 31-33.

Since the NFCCG Smith has gone 6-18 a .333 win % THAT IS BETTER THAN WHAT NOLAN DID..... Nolan sucks at HC worse than he does at coaching our D.

I don't want Nolan; I want Tice who was 32-33 as a HC in Minny (who's 10x better than Nolan according to you, so at least we're on that same page! smile.png )

preach brother!

If I had to pick a Mike:

If you ran a company that was doing terrible sales and someone came in and turned your sales department around and made it a much better organization which makes you money, do you take that sales manager and make him interim chairman of the board which, again is interim, and take a chance of the sales team going downhill again or do you take the guy that can be acceptable enough as chairman of the board and move him out of a spot he has under performed in so that maybe you find that next guy that jumpstarts that department? Just makes sense to me that you don't take your best coaches and move them around. It's counter productive.

Edited by slider

Mike Tice was 32-33 as a first time HC... what makes him worse than Belichik?

scalping? :P ok I'll give you that one he might be a more competent choice, I just don't agree with the Nolan crew, I'm a bit concerned with how the O-line performs from half to half.

Bend but don't break... defend the field and wait for the other team to make a mistake...

I noticed today... There is TOO MUCH field to actually defend!! Great defenses and great defensive minded coaches know this... which is why great defenses don't "defend," they attack the other teams' offense... they attack the qb; they don't "rush"... they attack the ballcarrier; they don't "stop the run"... they attack the ball while it's in the air; they don't "play zone and tackle the receiver"

Granted but what is it that tells you this isn't Nolan's defense? Tell me what a so called Nolan defense is outside of generally a 3-4 scheme? How did Nolan get this tag of defensive genius and if the HC is responsible in ATL for the bad defense, why has the HC in all the other places Nolan has been not gotten credit for the good ones? Coaching teams are just that. They're teams just like the players make up a team on the field. No one person is responsible for all the good or the bad on any side of the ball. The organization as a whole has far too much to do with it to be able to blame one or credit one completely. All I know is that the only thing I see that's different from this Defense and past "Nolan" defenses is personnel and the idea of going multiple with schemes. He doesn't have the players and is stuck in "multiple limbo". I still see complexities in scheme that you can't have with the current crop of LB's especially. I think the Bierman love comes directly from Nolan because before Bierman went down he was Nolan's main cog in his "Multiple" "Amoeba" wheel, I think he hitched his wagon to Bierman and didn't make the hard decision to change when it would've done some good. If that's not his call, prove it because it's in his job description!