My Choices For Hc

brown bomber

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say we go after Jimbo Fisher

He's more of an offensive coach I would say. Every position he's had has been on the offensive side and personally I would prefer a more defensive minded person unless they bring in a DC with an amazing resume. Since you mention Jimbo Fisher I checked out where the DC coached previously and found that he was at Georgia Tech before going to FSU and took over as interim DC during the 2012 season and improved the Jackets defense in every statistical category.

With all of that said as a FSU fan I say **** no leave Jimbo Fisher alone. There is a guy on the defensive line I would really like to see turn into a game changer but the guy is just huge. My only concern is while he's tall and has the wingspan of a 747 he looks very skinny with that frame.

Vic Fangio, the 49ers DC, would be an interesting guy to consider. The success that the 49ers D has had in recent years is largely because of him, not so much Harbaugh.

"Fangio’s history in the game has been diversified, but this is the first time in the NFL that he’s run his own scheme. He entered professional football under Jim Mora Sr. in the USFL, and then with the Saints alongside Dom Capers. Now the Packers defensive coordinator, Capers had called on Fangio to be his coordinator when starting expansion franchises in Carolina and Houston.

Fangio was Mora’s coordinator with the Colts from 1999-2001, but their talent was not very good. Mora felt so strongly about Fangio’s job performance that Mora refused general manager Bill Polian’s advice to fire him, so the entire coaching staff was shown the door. Fangio eventually landed with the Ravens’ standout defense as an assistant coach directing Harbaugh’s defenses at Stanford and with the 49ers."

Here's a link to a great article about him: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/17/vic-fangio-san-francisco-49ers-defensive-coordinator/

No NFL coaches, current or former, who have a losing record or have won a Super Bowl. I know that sounds contradictroy, but their champion's hunger is probably not as strong, and duplicating that success does not usually happen.

No coordinators from teams that have had no run of success or championships. We tried that already.

No college coaches who have zero NFL experience. There are a couple of successful ones, Jimmy Johnson being the best, Harbaugh less so, but as a rule college coaches do not do well on their first run in the NFL.

Who do I prefer?

Coordinators who have run the offense or defense on a team with consistent competitiveness including Super Bowl championships,

College coaches who have NFL experience and have run a very successful college program including national championships. This can include college coaches that have already tried coaching in the NFL, but did poorly, ala Pete Carroll. Successful college coaches who have NFL experience, even bad experience, are more apt to be successful using what they learned from their first go around in the NFL.

Edited by AREA 51

How the ever living **** can people watch all the drama with the Jets since 2009 and come away thinking Rex Ryan should be their team's head coach? It's mind boggling.

Because Rex Ryan has taken the Jets to AFCCG twice with Mark Sanchez but apparently that's all this board needs to know.

Here is a interesting read from "Football Nation"

College coaches that could go into the NFL for the 2015 season-

Kevin Sumlin – Only three years into his tenure at Texas A&M and Sumlin is already being mentioned for major college jobs as well as NFL openings. His track record speaks for itself. At Houston, he helped Case Keenum put up monster numbers for several years, then he took Johnny Manziel under his wing and helped him win a Heisman Trophy in their first year together at A&M, now Kenny Hill is carrying on the legacy impressively as well. As a former player, Sumlin has a reputation as a player’s coach in the mold of Mike Tomlin, but with more of an offensive mind.

He refused to take NFL interviews after last season, and A&M increased his buyout clause to $5 million which would make it difficult, but not impossible, for NFL teams to secure his services. The 50-year old Sumlin is young enough to wait a couple more years and try to win a national championship at the collegiate level before making the jump, but money talks and Sumlin will need strong earplugs not to listen.

Brian Kelly - In his fifth year at Notre Dame, Kelly and the Fighting Irish have their eyes on the playoff prize again after an undefeated 2012 regular season finished disappointingly. Quarterback Everett Golson is back from his year-long suspension and playing better than ever, and the defense has proven to be formidable as well, similar to 2012.

The Irish have tough road tests coming up against Florida State, ASU and USC but the 52-year old Kelly has been a coaching climber throughout his career and already interviewed for the head coaching position with the Philadelphia Eagles before Chip Kelly was hired. Five years is a more reasonable timeframe to fully rebuild a program and leave a defining legacy than three, so his chances of testing the NFL waters after this season are much higher. The better Notre Dame does this season, the more NFL interest Brian Kelly will generate.

Art Briles – Having been linked to the Washington coaching job this past offseason, Baylor’s coach remains a hot candidate in NFL circles despite being 58 years old. Pete Carroll left college for the NFL at a comparable age and has enjoyed great success in Seattle, and Briles himself has admitted to being intrigued by the idea of running his offense in the NFL. It has certainly made an impression at the college level, setting an NCAA record for points scored per game in 2013 and maintaining that pace this season.

The currently undefeated Baylor Bears have a legitimate chance to remain that way since there is no Big 12 championship game. Doing so would almost certainly secure them a spot in the inaugural College Football Playoff, a stunning rise from a program that languished at the bottom of their conference for so many years. Briles completed a similar turnaround at Houston and the NFL would be the next logical step after making the transition from high school to college in 2000.

Dan Mullen – Part of the same regional coaching circle as Chip Kelly known as the New Hampshire mafia, Mullen earned his bones as Urban Meyer’s offensive protégé at Utah and Florida, then got his head coaching break in 2009 at Mississippi State. After years of posting respectable records but struggling against ranked opponents, the Mullen’s Bulldogs have elevated to an elite level led by the dynamic play of quarterback Dak Prescott.

A career record of 42-28 against the stiff competition of the SEC gives Mullen instant credibility, but a national championship run this season would garner exponentially more attention from the NFL. There are several tough games left on the schedule for Mississippi State, but excitement is growing each week in Starkville. Barring a major second half collapse by the Bulldogs, the 42-year old Mullen will have plenty of suitors calling come January.

David Shaw – Another accomplished college coach with an offensive background, Shaw’s NFL ties are actually more diverse. His father Willie Shaw was a longtime NFL defensive coordinator and Shaw himself worked in quality control for several years before coaching quarterbacks and wide receivers in Oakland and Baltimore. He succeeded Jim Harbaugh at Stanford and has maintained the same level of excellence. Because of his NFL background, Shaw has been mentioned for NFL openings for a few years, and not just as a Rooney Rule formality.

He's more of an offensive coach I would say. Every position he's had has been on the offensive side and personally I would prefer a more defensive minded person unless they bring in a DC with an amazing resume. Since you mention Jimbo Fisher I checked out where the DC coached previously and found that he was at Georgia Tech before going to FSU and took over as interim DC during the 2012 season and improved the Jackets defense in every statistical category.

With all of that said as a FSU fan I say **** no leave Jimbo Fisher alone. There is a guy on the defensive line I would really like to see turn into a game changer but the guy is just huge. My only concern is while he's tall and has the wingspan of a 747 he looks very skinny with that frame.

Featherston.