Falcons Rookie James Stone Has To Be Front And Center

theProf

Falcons rookie James Stone has to be front and center

Oct 19 10:00PM ET

By Vaughn McClure | ESPN.com

BALTIMORE -- Atlanta Falcons center Peter Konz suffered what one source called a "bad" knee injury, meaning the team will have to prepare to move forward with undrafted rookie James Stone at the position.

Konz was injured in the first half of Sunday's 29-7 loss to the Baltimore Ravens. He was carted off the field and exited the stadium after the game on crutches. The source said Konz would not make the trip to London for the Falcons' matchup with the Detroit Lions.

ESPN Insider Adam Caplan confirmed Konz is scheduled to undergo an MRI on the knee. The worst-case scenario would be a torn ACL, while the best case would be a sprain.

Since the Falcons previously lost starting center Joe Hawley to a torn ACL, they'll have to rely on Stone, at least immediately. Harland Gunn would be the backup center.

Stone actually played better than expected Sunday in his first extensive action. Offensive line coach Mike Tice has liked Stone's size, quickness, and explosiveness from the outset.

"That's what we're here for is to be the next man up," Stone said. "If somebody goes down, you have to step in and try to keep going at the same level of intensity.

"I feel like there's definitely going to be some things that I have to do better; just being on the same page with the guys and making sure that everybody is on the same page. I'm going to go watch the film. There's definitely going to be some stuff that I can learn from and get better from."

If Konz is lost for the season, he would join Sam Baker (knee), Mike Johnson (foot), Lamar Holmes (foot), and Hawley (ACL) as offensive linemen on injured reserve.

Strength and Conditioning - yeah, bigger thighs help an ACL withstand 300lbs. men pushing with ridiculous force on their ligaments.

Guys workout since they are 12 and put more stress on a ligament than their body was designed to handle.

If some team ever has a multi-year run with noticeably fewer ACL injuries, and it was due to some new workout, all the sports would copy that program. Unless the orthopedists assassinate the trainer that develops it.

cant say that for this bunch of coaches......they have always played their tenured favorites, talent comes a distant second.

In this case they at least got it right with Hawley, even if they were a few years late with that. Now we're on a third string UDFA rookie. I fear for Ryan's health and safety on a weekly basis.

I would call R for the GM. He apparently has a crystal ball.

This is a great point. I would like to offer my services to the Atlanta Falcons for 50 Percent of what your paying Thomas Dimitroff for the first 2 years. Than I would like a raise. Arthur Blank please email me or call me or PM me for more information. Stone SMASH!

This is a great point. I would like to offer my services to the Atlanta Falcons for 50 Percent of what your paying Thomas Dimitroff for the first 2 years. Than I would like a raise. Arthur Blank please email me or call me or PM me for more information. Stone SMASH!

Dude, I would give you the job sight unseen over Gel Boy right now if I had the power to make it so.