Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheDirtyWordII

The Last Tdwii Observation: Message Received…

204 posts in this topic

I’ve been a board member here for a long time. Maybe even since the late 90’s. What I do remember in what was still the early days of the internet back then was how excited I was to have found a place to share my love of the Falcons, have discussions with other fans about the teams prospects, joust a little with opposing teams fans about the prospects for that weeks’ games. I can’t say that I’ve ever been a heavy-duty poster. On this incarnation of the MB, I have but a little over 2000 posts which over 10-15 years probably does not equate to all that much frequency.

The thing I enjoyed most was the actual writing, especially when I had something to say…to get off my chest. And I always went by the assumption that any viewpoint, so long as it had defined, well-reasoned and thought out premise was a welcome one. Whether someone agreed or disagreed with the logic presented, I could still debate/discuss at deeper levels with other posters thoughts on the topic. Did they see merit in my points, did I see merit in theirs. In my younger days, I’d even venture to other teams boards and do the same thing.

Over the years I’ve had posts that have been universally embraced and ones not so much. But my thoughts on Ryan were probably the ones that produced the most derision. I never felt that any of the back-and –forth got out of hand. If a poster tried to make a personal attack, it was easy enough to ignore. I picked and chose the arguments/debates to get in and eventually the topic played itself out. The off-seasons are the toughest. It’s when the waters are most calm and there is no wind to produce any movement. Any and every topic feels as if it’s been beat to death…and Ryan has become that lightning rod where people have simply planted their flags on one side of the fence or the other. And what 16 games does is produce movement. Provides us new information to enforce, adjust or change are viewpoints on a multitude of subjects Falcons related. And through 6 games, I had simply started to get the same old same old feeling relating to Ryan. Where the greatness he was capable displaying was the exception, not the rule. And henceforth, I posted such.

The problem with censorship is once you start, it’s tough to know when/where/how to draw the line on where to stop. I know over the years, trolls and opposing teams fans have been banned/censored. In some cases I would agree with the reasoning…I think I remember a long while back there actually being an exchange where two people were insisting they were going to meet up at a location and produce epic beat downs. Physically. Yes…let’s get those two guys off a communal board being used to potentially commit physical violence on one another. I also think it’s very easy to badger/bully online when your true identities are hidden…and as such behavior that crosses those lines also needs to be dealt with. Banning an unpopular poster…well, your reasoning better be air-tight. Deleting an unpopular opinion? Yeah, not on board with that.

So imagine my surprise when I logged onto the boards to see that I couldn’t find my most recent post on Matt Ryan. Turns out, it had been deleted. I guess that’s a first for me. It will also be a last. I’m a dinosaur probably by today’s standards. I like my interactions/wisdom to be longer than 120 characters. And if that is the way the world is going…well life has always been about the new pushing out the old. It’s progress. At the same time, progress isn’t always positive…progress just means what the present day state represents versus the previous days state. Moving forward is probably a more apt definition than definitive improvement. And so if the AFMB has gotten to a point where my opinion, albeit unpopular, is removed for whatever reason there was for removing it…I think that’s my queue to bid you all adieu.

I’ll be shutting down the TDWII moniker for good. If high-level, insightful and thought-out conversations are not what you’re looking for on these boards, then I’m likely not someone you want here. And if the chance now exists that some random person has the ability to control my voice on an open forum…then it’s no longer a place I’d want to be.

I recognize that I’m in the Jerry Maguire, leaving with the goldfish in a bag position. This thread will drop to Page 4 quickly enough, if it’s not deleted altogether. If the people who deleted my original post want to censor my thoughts/posts on Ryan, I suspect they’ll be keen to do the same to this one. Fact is, I’d been posting infrequently enough to probably make some wonder if I still posted here.

I’ll leave you with a final observation though. It’s not a bad thing to engage in conversations here that challenge your assumptions. We’re all Falcons fans here for the most part and despite whatever angle a poster is coming from, at the end of the day we want the same thing; Falcons success. However that’s expressed, the tolerance here for viewpoints not in line with the ‘popular’ line of thought has waned dramatically. I’d just advise that open minds be kept. If an opinion or stance is presented in a thoughtful manner, before you reply, really try and understand what the poster in trying to say. Often times, I would look at responses to some of my posts and it was clear that the responses were made to a pre-determined viewpoint of what that poster thought I had written…not really to what I had actually written. I think there is a lot of good content here. And while I may not have responded to much of it, I enjoyed reading it and learned quite a bit. There is probably no better place to find great content on the Falcons than here…but you’ve got to sift through a lot to get to it. Take it upon yourself to clean the place up bit. We all know what good content looks like. Asking Arthur Blank to address the team so you can put a foot up some arses shouldn’t generate a Page 2. At the end of the day, this is no longer our place, it's yours, so I would imagine you can do with it as you see fit.

Anyway – thanks for the time I spent here.

My love for this board goes in cycles, it seems.

Sometimes I think it's the pits, and other times it's great.

But I find enough good content to think it's worthwhile.

Give yourself a break, and then check back in

As for the censoring, I don't think Banker, Tuggle and Monoxide delete because of content, but because a thread gets out of control.

Absolutely shocked your thread was deleted TDWII. I can understand how you'd get upset. I wouldn't let it dictate whether I continue to come in here and post though.

I'm fine with your opinions. I think they're frequently off base but whatever....they're reasoned.

Unfortunately, there are 2-4 people round these parts that deem it necessary to be absolutely terrible. And that got the thread deleted. You should probably do more to call them out rather than allege "censorship."

Just because those posters agree with (and further amplify) your opinions doesnt mean you should let them be.

me4falcons likes this

Your thread was thoughtout and wasn't a troll, so it shouldn't have been deleted. It was a critique of Ryan. I'm a Matt Ryan fan too, but he's not someone who is above being criticized. That's BS. This isn't fu(king North Korea.

You would be doing the board a disservice by leaving, so I advice you to reconsider. I enjoyed your last post.

Mods have to learn to disern the difference between a thought out debate and someone outright trolling and ease up on the powertrip. Censorship not being reasonable is a bigger troll.

McKyer by my side likes this

Really isn't any reasonable explanation of that thread being deleted. It was well written (as always) and should've provided those on both sides of the debate to...well debate it. I rarely post, but even I'm able to discern who/what are providing reasonable mature replies so I just skip over those who aren't contributing to the debate.

Dude I did not agree with your Ryan views and attacked your post,but it was a reasonable thread.... if it was deleted that is complete and utter BS. I don't like censorship either .

Yeah.. that's kind of crap. Part of our rights as fans is the ability to criticize the team/players/coaches/front office if we see them doing something wrong. That ain't right.

My love for this board goes in cycles, it seems.

Sometimes I think it's the pits, and other times it's great.

But I find enough good content to think it's worthwhile.

Give yourself a break, and then check back in

As for the censoring, I don't think Banker, Tuggle and Monoxide delete because of content, but because a thread gets out of control.

This ^ I think our mods are pretty lenient as to content allowed, the thread must have devolved into multiple COCs which is probably why it was deleted, not the original content....
Vxmonarkxv, rounz and PokerSteve like this

No freedoms of speech here on falconslife

The real reason was monoxide fired homophobic insults

Can't have a ADMIN do that

I didn't delete it. Also, the term "swiftdick" is not homophobic. We've been calling you that for a decade. Also, you registering as "monoxide loves penis" kinda is homophobic, but I digress. Also, you're banned.

This ^ I think our mods are pretty lenient as to content allowed, the thread must have devolved into multiple COCs which is probably why it was deleted, not the original content....

So did the COC violators get warnings?

So did the COC violators get warnings?

Have to ask the mods about that. But i do not consider them heavy handed or intolerant...I despise censorship in any form but someone has to make the decisions about what is best for the forum or it will devolve back to the garbage that it was.

Probably a good time to hit the eject button here. The ship and franchise is imploding. I won't be watching Sunday. I don't enjoy seeing posts on these boards anymore either.

Have to ask the mods about that. But i do not consider them heavy handed or intolerant...I despise censorship in any form but someone has to make the decisions about what is best for the forum or it will devolve back to the garbage that it was.

While I didn't delete the topic, I do know that it transitioned into nothing but insults near the end. Swift is averaging a literal 8 accounts a day here lately, and is hellbent on turning this place into 2007 all over again. If that means spamming Jay Adams with tweets and voicemails, then so be it.

My advice to the OP, please don't stop posting your threads because one got out of hand. As a moderator, I promise to handle Swift next time without a scene. That's all I'll say on the matter.

some people take a message board about football way to serious. Put down the keyboard and go talk to some real life friends and family. It is just a game folks.

that's understandable,but also remember not all of us live in Georgia, or near it and don't have many falcons fans to discuss the falcons with so we come here, I live in SD have 1 friend to tlk about falcons football with. So I come here and discuss my love for the team
falconsrus likes this

that's understandable,but also remember not all of us live in Georgia, or near it and don't have many falcons fans to discuss the falcons with so we come here, I live in SD have 1 friend to tlk about falcons football with. So I come here and discuss my love for the team

Talking football and talking Falcons is great, but living and breathing about a post as if it has life-changing is a bit too much for me.

Why not just delete offending post?

Y'all wanted more moderation tho, and here it is.

You really think that a 30 page anti-Ryan thread (that includes Swift) getting deleted has anything to do with "increased moderation"?