Should We Sit Jake Matthews ?

freebird310

Jake Matthews Battles An Injury, The Falcons Grapple With A Rough Situation

By Dave Choate @TheFalcoholic on Oct 15 2014, 8:00a

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/10/15/6977893/jake-matthews-battles-an-injury-the-falcons-grapple-with-a-rough

The Falcons' offensive line figured to be fine once Justin Blalock returned to the lineup. Not good, mind you, given that Peter Konz was at center and Gabe Carimi isn't a world-beater at right tackle. Still, the thinking went, Jake Matthews, Justin Blalock and Jon Asamoah can at least stabilize things for this football team.

Unfortunately, the biggest problem with this line hasn't been Carimi or even Konz, who is an easy target because of his sadly ongoing mediocre play. The biggest problem has been Jake Matthews, and it appears we can trace much of that to ongoing struggles with his ankle injury.

You'll recall that Matthews was hurt during the first week of the season against New Orleans, and missed a couple of weeks of action as a result. Per Vaughn McClure, Matthews "tweaked" that injury against the Giants, which is a cute way of saying it's bothering him again. While it's a small relief to know that Matthews was beaten badly the last two weeks more due to injury than ability, it's a concern because ankle injuries linger and can flare-up easily, and I don't know that he'll be healthy again real soon.

Matthews' strong play in the first game of the season and before the injury give me hope that he'll be an effective tackle, particularly for a rookie, when he's fully healthy. Until then, though, he's a glaring liability on an offensive line that can hardly afford to have another one. The Falcons, of course, don't have any great solutions to the problem.

One option would be to continue to play Matthews, but if he's not healthy, he'll likely continue to struggle. The Falcons could also kick Gabe Carimi over to left tackle or choose to start either Ryan Schraeder or Cameron Bradfield there, but none of those options are likely to be massive upgrades, even over an injured Matthews. Carimi might be the best, with Schraeder at right.

The Falcons do have to make a decision. Giving Matthews some rest might be the best way to get him back to full strength quickly, but whether he's in there hurt or ceding his role to someone else, Matt Ryan's likely to be under pressure against a rough Ravens front seven. The Falcons should at least explore the idea of sitting him down so he can be more useful in the weeks ahead.

What say you?

small_thefalcoholic.com.minimal.png

More from The Falcoholic

Ugh oh. The Jakers won't like this one. I've been saying he's been one of the issues on the Oline and getting blasted by TATF homers. Not sure if it's injuries, rookisms or bust factor, but buddy is getting his as handed to him. He has been giving up pressures, missing run assignments and racking up penalties. For the people that like PFF he is our lowest ranked Olineman. In fact, he has the lowest ranking of anyone on the offense at (-15.3). Ugh oh.

Ugh oh. The Jakers won't like this one. I've been saying he's been one of the issues on the Oline and getting blasted by TATF homers. Not sure if it's injuries, rookisms or bust factor, but buddy is getting his as handed to him. He has been giving up pressures, missing run assignments and racking up penalties. For the people that like PFF he is our lowest ranked Olineman. In fact, he has the lowest ranking of anyone on the offense at (-15.3). Ugh oh.

I think most of it is due to playing hurt FF, he was stellar before the original injury, then we forced him back too soon. I just wonder if it is worth it to risk making it worse in a season that is already a lost cause....

I think most of it is due to playing hurt FF, he was stellar before the original injury, then we forced him back too soon. I just wonder if it is worth it to risk making it worse in a season that is already a lost cause....

He was not stellar in preseason or in the NO game before he got hurt. He had four or five penalties, some shoddy run blocking and got Ryan hit a few times. I think it's more rookie struggles than bust factor. At least I hope so.

His play has definitely taken a nose dive since the 2nd half of the Giants game.

I think his still playing is a sign of how desperate the coaching staff has become.

If it's injury related he needs to sit but it probably doesn't matter because the season is over with or without him.

Dude is playing hurt. Eat all of the *****.

Jake Matthews Battles An Injury, The Falcons Grapple With A Rough Situation

By Dave Choate @TheFalcoholic on Oct 15 2014, 8:00a

Per Vaughn McClure, Matthews "tweaked" that injury against the Giants, which is a cute way of saying it's bothering him again.

Thanks Dave Choate, I didn't know what a tweak was. Actually I didn't know that there was anything 'cute' about the word.

I'd just assume sit him. I'd also just assume play the young guys. The old guys aren't producing, and the young guys aren't developing sitting on the sidelines. Therefore, neither are doing anything to win games or save jobs.

Jake Matthews is a Very GOOD LT. Often fans don't know how many subpar performances are due to injury. Given our present won/loss standings I say we sit him. We, then, can determine if injury is his problem and prevent an acute injury from becoming a chronic problem from which he may never fully recover. He is potentially too important to our future at LT to sacrifice him in year when it is fairly obvious that the Falcons are not going anywhere.

Guest facelessman07

Sit him and Ryan

Pray TJ plays well so we can trade him for a mid rounder

Season's over. Might as well start preparing for next year

Guest facelessman07

The season is not shot and won't be until we are mathematically eliminated from the second season. That is at least a month away. Just stop with that bush it or go over to the Draft Forum and start up some tanking and mocking threads. emot-rant.gif

Have you seen this team play???

Our season, like the Sopranos...

...it's OVA

Edited by facelessman07

You never cease to amaze me with your stupidity.

He was not stellar in preseason or in the NO game before he got hurt. He had four or five penalties, some shoddy run blocking and got Ryan hit a few times. I think it's more rookie struggles than bust factor At least I hope so.

Its about being a rookie and not ready to be thrust this soon at LT...injury is a hindrance but JPP was always gonna school him under that scenario.

I'm aggravated and weary of the quitter crowd as well...need to have a kick rocks competition between them

Truth be told, Baker was a bad injury even though we knew it was inevitable. A reasonably healthy Baker would have kept JM at RT...which was a solution.

Hopefully, Konz will start to pay as he weighs...2nd rnd pick no#1 overall for the falcons that year. He should be ashamed and motivated, that the only way he is starting is because a hungrier guy(Hawley) got hurt.

JM will have to suck it up and play(On The Job Training)...he should have been prepared for this(legacy).