Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

2014-2015 Atlanta Braves Off-Season Thread

2,094 posts in this topic

DOB said he doesnt have any specific names but based on what hes heard he would be surprised if the Braves did NOT acquire a good/very good young SP by moving Gattis or Justin in the next few weeks

How about Justin Upton to the Mariners for Taijuan Walker, Nick Franklin, Charlie Furbush, and Stephen Pryor? That's the same package they were allegedly offering to the D'Backs. Of course that was for 3 years of JUp, not 1.

DOB also added the Braves will likely have a couple of veteran catchers behind Bethancourt in case theres any issues

They just signed catcher Eli Whiteside to a minor league deal.

They also signed RHP Sugar Ray Marimon and LHP Greg Smith to minor league deals. Marimon was a big starting pitcher prospect with the Royals for several years, but his career has been slowed by numerous injuries and the Royals finally gave up on him. Smith hasn't pitched in the majors since 2010.

What are we doing? Soooo were dismantling the team in hopes that 5 years from now we will have a decent farm system?

Why does that make sense? Sell a top LF down the river for a bunch of hopeful prospects? Or are we basically saying we won't resign Justin?

That's definitely a team I can get behind...

RHEC likes this

They kept Fredi, hope's already done left the station.

Yeah, I'm just not that excited for next season. Nothing the Braves done so far gives me hope.

How about Justin Upton to the Mariners for Taijuan Walker, Nick Franklin, Charlie Furbush, and Stephen Pryor? That's the same package they were allegedly offering to the D'Backs. Of course that was for 3 years of JUp, not 1.

It would be a pipe dream to get that package in return for just 1 year of Justin Upton.

What are we doing? Soooo were dismantling the team in hopes that 5 years from now we will have a decent farm system?

Why does that make sense? Sell a top LF down the river for a bunch of hopeful prospects? Or are we basically saying we won't resign Justin?

That's definitely a team I can get behind...

The Braves cannot afford to keep both Justin Upton and Jason Heyward long-term. Both are free agents after the 2015 season. The Braves thinking is instead of losing Justin after the 2015 season and just getting a draft pick for him they will trade him and get a package of elite prospects in return and throw all their money towards Heyward to keep him in town. It makes sense because Heyward is the better all around player and is a homegrown local kid.

The prospects that k26dp threw out there, namely Taijuan Walker and Nick Franklin aren't just run of the mil prospects. They're both considered elite prospects. But that trade wouldn't work since Franklin was traded to the Rays at the trading deadline in the David Price trade. Walker has already done great work in the majors too. Franklin is still trying to figure it out in the majors.

DOB reporting Hart hasnt made a decision but its sounding more and more like they'll go into rebuild mode to repair Wren's work and be ready to contend for a World Series in 2017

DOB reporting Hart hasnt made a decision but its sounding more and more like they'll go into rebuild mode to repair Wren's work and be ready to contend for a World Series in 2017

So the fans should just don't bother going to the games then because Braves have it in their minds to just rebuild and rebuild. Great ******* plan.

So basically they're going to "suck" until they get to a new stadium?

Now THATS a bold move cotton.

So the fans should just don't bother going to the games then because Braves have it in their minds to just rebuild and rebuild. Great ******* plan.

You guys act like you've never heard of the concept of rebuilding before. It happens. The Cubs should be contenders next season because they have a nice core of young talent and lots of room in their budget to fill holes via free agency -- they didn't suddenly get this way, it's after four years of breaking the team up, trading away salary for prospects, and sucking.

truth.. likes this

You guys act like you've never heard of the concept of rebuilding before. It happens. The Cubs should be contenders next season because they have a nice core of young talent and lots of room in their budget to fill holes via free agency -- they didn't suddenly get this way, it's after four years of breaking the team up, trading away salary for prospects, and sucking.

Braves plan on rebuilding until 2017, that just shows this team isn't going to be serious until then. If the Braves want to rebuild, they might as well trade Freeman, Kimbrel and Simba too, since we need prospects.

Its just part of the game. We've been fortunate enough to avoid it for a very long time but Frank Wren and his people completely wrecked the farm system with bad drafts.

Exactly what I said the other day. The Braves will suck in 2015. Hart is going to tear apart the MLB roster to rebuild the farm system. It's a long season when your team has no hope. I didn't suffer through the 100 loss seasons of the 80s but I did see the 2008 team lose 90 games.

I'd rather the front office go with the rebuild if the alternative is to keep the exact same lineup as last year. I feel confident in the guys in the front office to rebuild the team correctly.

I'd rather the front office go with the rebuild if the alternative is to keep the exact same lineup as last year. I feel confident in the guys in the front office to rebuild the team correctly.

exactly. Have to think about the greater good

I guess when a government just gave you a little under half what you need for a new complex, you don't really care about selling tickets lol

I think at this point it is safe to say if you weren't part of the spending spree last offseason, you are on the block.