Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

2014-2015 Atlanta Braves Off-Season Thread

2,094 posts in this topic

Hart is claiming the Gattis trade rumor is completely bogus

Yes, I'm pretty sure he wanted to put the kabosh on "BRAVES DESPERATE TO TRADE GATTIS", regardless of intentions. The Braves need teams to believe they are actually willing to play Gattis in LF.

By the way, if the Braves should not be willing to play Gattis in LF.

Can the Braves really afford to keep Fredi and trade away their most popular player? They do that and fail to acquire anyone with ability Turner Field is going to be a ghost town.

Yes, I'm pretty sure he wanted to put the kabosh on "BRAVES DESPERATE TO TRADE GATTIS", regardless of intentions. The Braves need teams to believe they are actually willing to play Gattis in LF.

By the way, if the Braves should not be willing to play Gattis in LF.

If the Braves can get away with Ryan Klesko in LF then I think they can get away with Gattis in LF.

The Braves have made the price high on Gattis, and rightfully so. He's easily the Braves best hitter and it would take an absolute blockbuster deal for the Braves to get rid of him. I really don't think they need to this year since he's so cheap and won't even be arbitration eligible for a couple of years.

If the Braves can get away with Ryan Klesko in LF then I think they can get away with Gattis in LF.

I think if you give Gattis a full Spring Training in left, he might be ok. Of course, you can't have a terrible CF beside him, like BJ, as well if they commit to putting Gattis in left.

Braves Notes: Gattis, B.J. Upton, Third Base

By Tim Dierkes [November 11, 2014 at 12:11pm CST]

Joel Sherman of the New York Post heard yesterday that the Braves were pushing catcher Evan Gattis hard, but the team’s president of baseball operations, John Hart, called the report “absolutely inaccurate.” The latest on the team…

• One strategy for the Braves is to package Gattis with B.J. Upton, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Upton is owed $46.35MM through 2017 after posting two awful years for Atlanta. Rosenthal says most of the Braves’ roster is in play.
  • The Braves want to add a left-handed hitter who could possibly platoon with third baseman Chris Johnson, tweets David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. I doubt the Braves want Juan Francisco back, but the Cubs’ Luis Valbuena could be a fit.
  • Hart doesn’t expect to make a trade at the GM Meetings, according to MLB.com’s Mark Bowman. Hart explained, “I think you’re going to have conversations. I think the Winter Meetings are a pretty good dance place, because people will have seen what is going on in the free-agent ranks, evaluated the trade market for players they want and done all of the things clubs do to make a deal.” Bowman notes that beyond Gattis, the Braves might trade Justin Upton or Jason Heyward this winter. Each outfielder is scheduled for free agency after 2015.

I think if you give Gattis a full Spring Training in left, he might be ok. Of course, you can't have a terrible CF beside him, like BJ, as well if they commit to putting Gattis in left.

Agreed. I would gladly trade Gattis if it meant being able to get rid of B.J. It would suck to lose Gattis but getting rid of B.J. and that contract would totally be a win.

The Braves have made the price high on Gattis, and rightfully so. He's easily the Braves best hitter and it would take an absolute blockbuster deal for the Braves to get rid of him. I really don't think they need to this year since he's so cheap and won't even be arbitration eligible for a couple of years.

I could easily think of 2-3 on this team that are better hitters than Gattis.

Hart said Shae Simmons and JR Graham are expected to be 100% when Spring starts. Hart also added they're in love with Heyward but dont see him agreeing to an extension before the end of 2015. He said that doesnt mean he wont stay in Atlanta it just means they dont see it happening now.

Why did we give Zoilo Almonte a major league contract? Career .268/.330/.433 (.763) hitter in the minors. Awful in the majors?

Uggla sent him the Fredi pictures?

Aw man. If they're making it a Gattis or Justin type deal, you gotta keep Justin.

Braves just love breaking my heart.

Agree 1000%, better put that money towards Justin

He's the best pure hitter this team has had in forever

Agree 1000%, better put that money towards Justin

He's the best pure hitter this team has had in forever

It doesn't make since to trade your best hitter when this team having problems hitting.

John Sickles, IMO the best talent evaluator working in media today, has published his top-20 Braves prospects.

1. Jose Peraza, INF, Grade B+

2. Lucas Sims, RHP, Grade B+

3. Christian Bethancourt, C, Grade B-

4. Ozhaino Albies, SS, Grade B-

5. Braxton Davidson, OF/1B, Grade B-

6. Kyle Kubitza, 3B, Grade B-

7. Jason Hursch, RHP, Grade B-

8. Alec Grosser, RHP, Grade C+

9. Shae Simmons, RHP, Grade C+

10. Cody Martin, RHP, Grade C+

11. Mauricio Cabrera, RHP, Grade C+

12. Chasen Shreve, LHP, Grade C+

13. Williams Perez, RHP, Grade C+

14. J.R. Graham, RHP, Grade C+

15. Johan Camargo, SS, Grade C+

16. Kyle Wren, OF, Grade C+

17. Max Povse, RHP, Grade C+

18. Garrett Fulenchek, RHP, Grade C

19. Victor Reyes, OF, Grade C

20. Daniel Castro, INF, Grade C

Other Grade C Prospects: John Cornely, RHP; Todd Cunningham, OF; Chris Diaz, LHP; Jordan Edgerton, 3B; Sean Godfrey, OF; Phil Gosselin, INF; Ryne Harper, RHP; Nate Hyatt, RHP; Juan Jaime, RHP; Kyle Kinman, LHP; Connor Lien, OF; Dilmer Mejia, LHP; Aaron Northcraft, RHP; Wes Parsons, RHP; Elmer Reyes, INF; Greg Ross, RHP; Carlos Salazar, RHP; Fernelys Sanchez, OF; Chad Sobotka, RHP; Ian Thomas, LHP.

In his write-up on the system after the ranking, this was my biggest take-away:

The chain of causation for such problems is difficult for an outsider to parse. Remember that this is the same organization that developed Freddie Freeman and (more impressively from a sleeper perspective) Evan Gattis, so I wouldn’t conclude that they simply can’t find hitters. Bargain-hunting in the draft has been an issue: it seems to work with pitchers but less so with hitters (Gattis excepted) in the modern context. It will be interesting to see if the change in leadership opens up the purse strings or leads to a change in philosophy.

That was dumb of me to say that with J. Upton and Freddie on the team. Curious, but who would you say as 3rd best? La Stella?

Yep

I still say Freeman is the Braves best pure hitter. Justin is the Braves best homerun hitter. The numbers bear that out.

I agree FF is our best hitter, but JUp power makes him scarier to pitchers. I would like to keep them both as they help each other when b2b in the order.

That was dumb of me to say that with J. Upton and Freddie on the team. Curious, but who would you say as 3rd best? La Stella?

I'd put Heyward there as an all-around better hitter, minus the power obviously.

Braves can't let Heyward walk.

What would be the point of looking down all this talent just to let your entire outfield go to ****?

I'm going to answer this question with numbers.

2013-2014 weighted runs created (wRC+):

1. Freddie Freeman 145

2. Justin Upton 131

3. Evan Gattis 117

4. Jason Heyward 114

5. Chris Johnson 103

6. Ramiro Pena 93

7. Tommy La Stella 84

8. Andrelton Simmons 82

9. Gerald Laird 78

10. Phil Gosselin 78

11. Joey Terdoslavich 74

12. BJ Upton 66

13. Emilio Bonifacio 57

14. Christian Bethancourt 52

15. Ryan Doumit 52

16. Mike Minor 11

17. Julio Teheran 1

+wRC is a weighted average, so that a score of 100 would be about league average.