Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

2014-2015 Atlanta Braves Off-Season Thread

2,094 posts in this topic

Espn did a "future power rankings" of all teams. In other words they evaluated the minor league system and contracts to determine how well the franchise is set up for the future. The Braves ranked 22nd due to the money tied up with BJ and Uggla. The lack of talent in the farm system was also highlighted. Buster Olney added in other teams view the Braves minors as in "rough shape"

Buster Olney added in other teams view the Braves minors as in "rough shape"

And this is why Wren was fired. A mid-market team like the Braves must keep the pipeline of new talent flowing, both for the new club and to be able to trade when needed.

And this is why Wren was fired. A mid-market team like the Braves must keep the pipeline of new talent flowing, both for the new club and to be able to trade when needed.

The pitching pipeline has been great. But Wren has totally screwed up the position player pipeline. Where's the Chipper's, Justices's, Klesko's, Lopez's, Dye's, Andruw's, McCann's?

The pitching pipeline has been great. But Wren has totally screwed up the position player pipeline. Where's the Chipper's, Justices's, Klesko's, Lopez's, Dye's, Andruw's, McCann's?

Playing for other teams.

The pitching pipeline is drying up too. There's not really a potential top- to mid- rotation guy left in the organization except maybe Sims.

The pitching pipeline is drying up too. There's not really a potential top- to mid- rotation guy left in the organization except maybe Sims.

Sims. It appears that J.R. Graham will never live up to his potential because of shoulder problems. But one of the reason the pitching pipeline is drying up is because of the guys that have graduated to the majors like Alex Wood and Julio Teheran.

But regardless, the farm system isn't good.

Sims. It appears that J.R. Graham will never live up to his potential because of shoulder problems. But one of the reason the pitching pipeline is drying up is because of the guys that have graduated to the majors like Alex Wood and Julio Teheran.

But regardless, the farm system isn't good.

Jason Hursh has potential to provide help but it might be in the bullpen when his number is called

Maybe. The point is that a team can't maintain a true pipeline with only high round picks. You need to scout out the diamonds in the rough, low round picks, non-drafted minor leaguers, and especially international prospects. This is where the organization is in trouble.

Yes, Wood and Teheran recently matriculated, but the purpose of a pipeline is to have options every year. We're going into yet another season where we're going to have to band-aid the middle of the rotation and hoping nobody gets hurt because there's nothing in the cupboard.

Maybe. The point is that a team can't maintain a true pipeline with only high round picks. You need to scout out the diamonds in the rough, low round picks, non-drafted minor leaguers, and especially international prospects. This is where the organization is in trouble.

Yes, Wood and Teheran recently matriculated, but the purpose of a pipeline is to have options every year. We're going into yet another season where we're going to have to band-aid the middle of the rotation and hoping nobody gets hurt because there's nothing in the cupboard.

Correct. But we wouldn't have that problem if it weren't for the unforeseen potentially career ending injuries to Kris Medlen and Brandon Beachy. Nobody could have predicted that. Had they never gotten hurt we would be going in 2015 with a rotation of Teheran, Wood, Minor, Medlen and Beachy and then we would only have to be worrying about potentially having a 6th, 7th and 8th starting pitching option on the back burner. It makes me hurt to think we will probably never see that rotation happen.

I wish and hope that the Braves don't make a mistake and don't offer Medlen and Beachy arbitration. Letting either or both walk and potentially recover and pitch well for another team would be very painful.

Theres no doubt the system is in the worst shape we've seen in a long time. Getting Roy Clark back in the mix is a big boost. Itll be interesting to watch and see if Hart begins the farm rebuilding with a trade of J Up. Heyward also has been speculated as a trade candidate but we all know Justin would fetch more at this point of their careers.

Some guy at YahooSports was making the argument that it would make sense for the Braves to trade BJ Upton's lousy contract to the Cubs in return for Edwin Jackson's lousy contact. The reasoning is that working with Roger McDowell might turn Jackson's career around. And a change of address might help Upton in Chicago. Since BJ is owed over $46 million over the next 3 years (versus $22 million for Jackson for 2 years), the Braves would likely have to either include some cash or a pitching prospect in the deal.

Let's say the deal is this:

Cubs get: BJ Upton and David Hale

Braves get: Edwin Jackson

Would you make this deal if the Braves did not have to include any cash?

Some guy at YahooSports was making the argument that it would make sense for the Braves to trade BJ Upton's lousy contract to the Cubs in return for Edwin Jackson's lousy contact. The reasoning is that working with Roger McDowell might turn Jackson's career around. And a change of address might help Upton in Chicago. Since BJ is owed over $46 million over the next 3 years (versus $22 million for Jackson for 2 years), the Braves would likely have to either include some cash or a pitching prospect in the deal.

Let's say the deal is this:

Cubs get: BJ Upton and David Hale

Braves get: Edwin Jackson

Would you make this deal if the Braves did not have to include any cash?

I would do it and not think twice about it. I wonder if B.J. Upton getting back with Joe Maddon could get him back to his previous level of play.

If Santana denies his offer, I could see this working out quite nicely.

Ditching BJ, and getting a "serivceable" starter, all while saving 4 million this year.

Theres actually a possibility it could happen IMO. BJ reunited with Maddon might spark just enough interest from Theo to rid themselves of Jackson. As said above McDowell could work his magic with Edwin and perhaps turn him into a solid back of the rotation option to replace Santana.

I just wanted to point this out to everyone harping on how bad Santana was this year, that wasn't the case. Look at these numbers.

Santana, 31, enjoyed a solid season for Atlanta in which he posted a 3.95 ERA with 8.2 K/9, 2.9 BB/9 and a 42.7 percent ground-ball rate in 196 innings of work. While his ERA rose, metrics such as FIP (3.39) and xFIP (3.47) felt Santana had his best season since 2008.

I just wanted to point this out to everyone harping on how bad Santana was this year, that wasn't the case. Look at these numbers.

Overall he was good, but didn't I read he was inconsistent? Like he's have an era of 3 for one month and then balloon to 6 for a few starts. Stuff like that.

He was terribly inconsistent.

Wren did an interview on MLB Network Radio last Sunday and admitted he has 1 regret about his tenure in Atlanta. He said he wishes he could take back the BJ Upton signing. His quote about BJ was "It just didnt work in Atlanta. It hasnt worked in Atlanta"

Overall he was good, but didn't I read he was inconsistent? Like he's have an era of 3 for one month and then balloon to 6 for a few starts. Stuff like that.

This is true of every pitcher. The "A" in ERA is average after all.

Correct. But we wouldn't have that problem if it weren't for the unforeseen potentially career ending injuries to Kris Medlen and Brandon Beachy. Nobody could have predicted that. Had they never gotten hurt we would be going in 2015 with a rotation of Teheran, Wood, Minor, Medlen and Beachy and then we would only have to be worrying about potentially having a 6th, 7th and 8th starting pitching option on the back burner. It makes me hurt to think we will probably never see that rotation happen.

I wish and hope that the Braves don't make a mistake and don't offer Medlen and Beachy arbitration. Letting either or both walk and potentially recover and pitch well for another team would be very painful.

I'm not sure your point here. Medlen and Beachy's injuries had nothing to do with the pipeline, except maybe showed quicker than expected that we were tapped out. Having prospects doesn't have much to do with band-aiding catastrophes, it's about replacing higher cost veterans with equally effective young players and having bargaining chips with which to trade.