Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

2014-2015 Atlanta Braves Off-Season Thread

2,094 posts in this topic

According to Ken Rosenthal John Hart accepted the position of President of Baseball Operations

Confirmed by the team. Indications are that the team will still hire a GM to work under Hart.

Coppolella is expected to be the GM and report to Hart according to the reports i've seen. Very solid hire IMO. Hart has proven with the Indians and Rangers he can build winners.

This move with Hart tells me two things:

1. Copolella will be named GM soon enough.

2. The new position Hart is taking is basically a mentor role for Copolella so he can more smoothly transition into the full role of GM, especially at a time when there are going to be a lot of tough decisions coming soon.

Combine this with the old scouting crew getting back together makes me feel very optimistic with the direction of the team.

This move with Hart tells me two things:

1. Copolella will be named GM soon enough.

2. The new position Hart is taking is basically a mentor role for Copolella so he can more smoothly transition into the full role of GM, especially at a time when there are going to be a lot of tough decisions coming soon.

Combine this with the old scouting crew getting back together makes me feel very optimistic with the direction of the team.

Agreed. The product on the field is still a bit of a mess but i feel much better about who all are running things in the front office now especially the scouts.

Confirmed by the team. Indications are that the team will still hire a GM to work under Hart.

The press conference with Hart and JS concluded.

- There will be no GM at this time. Hart will perform some of the GM duties, with Coppenella his "right hand man".

- The Braves have interviewed 8-9 hitting coach candidates and are close to a decision. They will also hire an assistant hitting coach, similar to the set-up the staff had with Walker/Fletcher.

- Hart said that "we want to be known as a tough club" and that "I like the players with grit".

On another note, Andrelton Simmons, Jason Heyward, and (surprise!) Justin Upton have been named as finalists for Gold Gloves at their respective positions.

Must have been a down year for fielding in LF for the National League.

The other two finalists, Christian Yelich and Starling Marte, are very good. Then there was a bug drop to guys who were essentially average, with Upton likely just the biggest "name" of them.

Lol at all the toughness and grit talk that is common among Atlanta teams

Basically whats happening is Hart will run the franchise and groom Coppy for 3 years and then hand it over to Coppolella.

I can't really back this up but the impression I got from the interview is that Schuerholtz insisted on giving Hart a three year contract but Hart himself only intends to keep the job for a year or two.

Lol at all the toughness and grit talk that is common among Atlanta teams

To be fair, that was just buzz talk from the Falcons. The Braves were a gritty, grinding team in the 90s and early 2000s. The plan seems to be to get back to that team identity which has been lost over the past decade or so.

To be fair, that was just buzz talk from the Falcons. The Braves were a gritty, grinding team in the 90s and early 2000s. The plan seems to be to get back to that team identity which has been lost over the past decade or so.

I wouldn't know, it's hard to measure "grit". I think 2013's team had "grit", but I sometimes get that confused with "wins".

In other words, it's buzzwords from Hart too.

Hart had some very kind words about Coppolella. He said Coppy was the big reason he took the job. Hart said "he's really good, im telling you he's really good" and also added he thinks we'll all get to see Coppy grow and develop into a top executive.

DOB reporting Santana is expected to get the qualifying offer. He also adds if Santana doesnt stay the Braves are expected to look for a top of the rotation guy. Likely through trade given the lack of available money for a free agent.

DOB reporting Santana is expected to get the qualifying offer. He also adds if Santana doesnt stay the Braves are expected to look for a top of the rotation guy. Likely through trade given the lack of available money for a free agent.

So we're going to party like it's the 2013 postseason?

I'm actually surprised at this. I thought considering all of the extensions plus Uggla still on the books we may scale back new spending. Perhaps there is a Lil truth to the rumors both Upton's may be gone and we figure out a way not to eat much of BJs contract. We may see a focus on pitching.