Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

2014-2015 Atlanta Braves Off-Season Thread

2,094 posts in this topic

Trade Evan Gattis? Why?

Christian Bethancourt had 28 hits, 26 strikeouts and just 3 walks. Sorry I'm not ecstatic to trade Evan Gattis and anoint C-Beth.

I was talking to a guy on Twitter just now and we were throwing around some ideas about what the Braves might do and what we would like to see done. Of course we talked about getting rid of B.J. Upton and sending Justin Upton in the package to try to entice someone to take B.J. Plus with it being pretty clear the Braves won't be able to afford to keep both Justin and Jason Heyward after 2015 we feel now is the time to send one of them packing. We both agreed we'd rather keep Heyward because he's the better all around player. We also said we hope the Braves could dump Chris Johnson but that's gonna be almost as tough as dumping B.J.

Some free agents, or potential free agents, we mentioned were Pablo Sandoval, Chris Denorfia and Nick Markakis. Both Sandoval and Denorfia are free agents while the Orioles hold a $17M option on Markakis with a $2M buyout. It's a real question to if the O's will exercise that option or not. I doubt the Giants let Sandoval walk but would welcome him in Atlanta in a heartbeat if we could move Johnson. While Sandoval doesn't walk much he doesn't strikeout much either and the Braves desperately need impact bats that don't bring a lot of strikeouts to the table. Sandoval could be a potential 30 HR guy in Atlanta.

Of course we talked about why the Braves are against the idea of moving Heyward to CF even though it's easier to find corner outfield bats than it is impact centerfield bats. That's where the talk of Markakis came up. But I also mentioned that if you wanted to go with a cheaper platoon route you could trade for Seth Smith and sign Chris Denorfia. Denorfia would be a good bench option either way. Would love to bring him in.

Speaking of the bench, it needs to be upgraded big time. It's been a black hole the last two years, aside from Ramiro Pena early in 2013 and what Gattis did off the bench last year. I hated the Ryan Doumit trade but was willing to give him a chance but that just didn't work out. The main reason I didn't like it was because it prevented Joey-T from having a shot at one of the bench spots.

Just some baseball discussion we had on Twitter, feel free to comment openly.

Braves make their first signing with Hart as GM. They agreed to a minor league deal with Pedro Ciriaco

If the Royals win the World Series then Ciriaco will end up getting a ring because he played in 25 games for the Royals this season. Ciriaco could be a decent bench option for the Braves. In 2012 for the Red Sox in 272 PA he hit .293/.315/.390. Has appeared in games at 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, RF in his career.

According to a new report from Mark Bowman the Braves are looking at Rangers hitting coach Dave Magadan and he has been given permission to seek a new employer but Magadan is also talking with the A's and Mets. They also continue to talk with ex-Yankee hitting coach Kevin Long but he is drawing interest from other clubs as well. McCann praised Long saying Kevin is one of the best coaches he's ever worked with.

DOB saying the Braves are fully prepared to rid themselves of BJ. He also adds an option on the table being discussed in the FO is moving Justin or Heyward in a trade and then signing the other to a long term deal. DOB then goes on to say if that happened then Gattis would likely slide into LF with Bethancourt going to full time C.

DOB saying the Braves are fully prepared to rid themselves of BJ. He also adds an option on the table being discussed in the FO is moving Justin or Heyward in a trade and then signing the other to a long term deal. DOB then goes on to say if that happened then Gattis would likely slide into LF with Bethancourt going to full time C.

Fully expect to see the Upton brothers packaged together and sent packing. A team like Detroit that is known for making major trades and has money to spend is a team to keep an eye on.

As for Gattis as the full-time left-fielder? It's far from ideal but if the guy playing CF has super range, combined with the super range of Simba, (and maybe an upgrade at 3B *fingers crossed*) it could be passable. Especially if there is a huge improvement from the team offensively where the Braves could survive giving up a few more runs from having Gattis's lack of defense in LF.

Bethancourt would be a major improvement defensively behind the plate and help against opposing teams running games. I love the way Bethancourt receives pitches. He's a great pitch framer and calls a solid game too.

Trade Evan Gattis? Why?

Christian Bethancourt had 28 hits, 26 strikeouts and just 3 walks. Sorry I'm not ecstatic to trade Evan Gattis and anoint C-Beth.

People are idiots that's why.

According to DOB the Braves would either slide Heyward over to CF or find a free agent to sign for a year or two.

Would love to see Heyward in CF and then sign someone like Markakis (if available).

Would love to see Heyward in CF and then sign someone like Markakis (if available).

I'm a little leery of Markakis. He'll be 31 next season, his power and on-base skills show evidence of decline, and he's now about league-average defensively. His wRC+ the last three seasons have been 70, 72, and 84. The best you can say about him is that he's a better hitter than BJ Upton, but almost certainly someone will overpay for him and I'd rather it not be the Braves.

If the Nats don't pick up his option, Denard Span may be a decent option.

I'm a little leery of Markakis. He'll be 31 next season, his power and on-base skills show evidence of decline, and he's now about league-average defensively. His wRC+ the last three seasons have been 70, 72, and 84. The best you can say about him is that he's a better hitter than BJ Upton, but almost certainly someone will overpay for him and I'd rather it not be the Braves.

If the Nats don't pick up his option, Denard Span may be a decent option.

I can understand why that would worry you and it's a valid concern. The Braves definitely don't need to overpay for him. He had a bad season in 2013 but bounced back this year with a good year. Sure it's not at his previous seasons of his prime but it was a good season that would be welcomed to the Braves. He still doesn't strikeout much, still has decent double power even if it has slipped from when he was hitting 40 plus doubles a season.

The only reason I even mention him is because I have a hard time believing the O's will pickup his $17M option for next season because of the reasons you pointed out.

How do you feel about using a platoon in a corner outfield spot? I know Bobby used to get a lot of flack on here at times because of his platoons but platoons can work if used correctly. That was the issue Bobby had most of the time and I'm afraid Fredi will be just as bad at using a platoon properly. Chris Denorfia is a free agent who just rakes left-handed pitching. Sign him and trade for someone like Seth Smith who just rakes right-handed pitching and you've got a really good combo that should put up the same kind of numbers combined that you would get from a good everyday player. Even if you don't go that route, Denorfia would be a good bench option.

Braves did talk to SD about trading for Denorfia back in July before he ended up in Seattle. Of course theres a new GM now so who knows.

Yep. I remember those rumors.

I can understand why that would worry you and it's a valid concern. The Braves definitely don't need to overpay for him. He had a bad season in 2013 but bounced back this year with a good year. Sure it's not at his previous seasons of his prime but it was a good season that would be welcomed to the Braves. He still doesn't strikeout much, still has decent double power even if it has slipped from when he was hitting 40 plus doubles a season.

The only reason I even mention him is because I have a hard time believing the O's will pickup his $17M option for next season because of the reasons you pointed out.

How do you feel about using a platoon in a corner outfield spot? I know Bobby used to get a lot of flack on here at times because of his platoons but platoons can work if used correctly. That was the issue Bobby had most of the time and I'm afraid Fredi will be just as bad at using a platoon properly. Chris Denorfia is a free agent who just rakes left-handed pitching. Sign him and trade for someone like Seth Smith who just rakes right-handed pitching and you've got a really good combo that should put up the same kind of numbers combined that you would get from a good everyday player. Even if you don't go that route, Denorfia would be a good bench option.

I have nothing against platoons. I grew up an Orioles fan, and Earl Weaver used platoons to great success. A Denofia/Smith platoon would be great, and give us a great bench player every night.

Falconsfan567 likes this

I have nothing against platoons. I grew up an Orioles fan, and Earl Weaver used platoons to great success. A Denofia/Smith platoon would be great, and give us a great bench player every night.

Wow, talk about a legend that I never got to see manage.

MLB announced Craig Kimbrel has won the Trevor Hoffman award. Thats the new award they give to the RP of the year. The AL version is named after Rivera and went to Greg Holland.

Kimbrel and Justin Upton were also named to the Sporting News NL All Star team. That team is voted on by GMs and assistant GMs once the regular season is complete.

MLB announced Craig Kimbrel has won the Trevor Hoffman award. Thats the new award they give to the RP of the year. The AL version is named after Rivera and went to Greg Holland.

Kimbrel and Justin Upton were also named to the Sporting News NL All Star team. That team is voted on by GMs and assistant GMs once the regular season is complete.

Is this the award that was previously called the Rolaids Relief Man of the Year award?

According to the announcement back in April it replaced the "Delivery man of the year" award. The Rolaids award was apparently just straight up tossed after 2012.

According to the announcement back in April it replaced the "Delivery man of the year" award. The Rolaids award was apparently just straight up tossed after 2012.

Hmm.