Playtime Chart: Biermann’S Snaps Are Decreasing

Falcons running back Antone Smith’s playing time increased by five percent against the Bears.

He played 11 of 56 snaps (20 percent). He played 11 of 72 of the offensive snaps (15 percent) against the Giants.

Prince Shembo, who started the two previous games, didn’t play from scrimmage. Apparently, the Falcons thought Joplo Bartu was a better matchup against Chicago running back Matt Forte.

The Falcons have started to cut Kroy Biermann’s snaps. He played 42 of 73 snaps (58 percent) against the Bears. He played 68 percent against the Giants and 75 percent against the Vikings.

Justin Blalock returned after missing a game with a back injury. He played all 56 of the offensive snaps.

Moving forward, the Falcons need to scrap this multiple 3-4/4-3/4-2-5 defense. It hasn’t worked.

They need to get in one defense that they can execute.

“We’ve played very inconsistently on defense throughout the entire season, and we haven’t played nearly up to our potential on the offensive side of the football either,” Falcons coach Mike Smith said. “I don’t think anything is off the table in terms of what we’ve got to get done. These are the guys that we have on our football team. We have to coach them better. They have to play better. We’re all in this together.”

Percent of playtime per player on offense, defense and special teams

OFFENSE

PLAYER OFFENSE SPECIAL TEAMS

G Carimi 100% 56 3 11%

T J Matthews 100% 56 3 11%

T J Asamoah 100% 56 2 7%

G J Blalock 100% 56 1 4%

QB M Ryan 100% 56

C P Konz 100% 56

TE L Toilolo 98% 55 7 25%

WR R White 96% 54

WR J Jones 91% 51

WR D Hester 52% 29 11 39%

WR S Jackson 36% 20

RB J Rodgers 30% 17 11 39%

WR E Weems 27% 15 21 75%

FB P DiMarco 21% 12 16 57%

RB A Smith 20% 11 21 75%

RB D Freeman 18% 10 5 18%

T R Schraeder 9% 5 9 32%

TE B Pascoe 2% 1 4 14%

DEFENSE

PLAYER DEFENSE SPECIAL TEAMS

CB D Trufant 73 100% 5 18%

SS K Ishmael 73 100% 4 14%

LB P Worrilow 73 100% 4 14%

FS D Lowery 73 100%

CB R Alford 72 99% 9 32%

LB J Bartu 56 77% 4 14%

DE J Babineaux 52 71% 4 14%

CB J Wilson 51 70% 14 50%

DE J Massaquoi 43 59% 4 14%

DE K Biermann 42 58% 4 14%

DT P Soliai 39 53% 3 11%

DT T Jackson 35 48% 7 25%

DT C Peters 34 47% 4 14%

DT M Goodman 27 37%

DE O Umenyiora 20 27% 2 7%

DE R Hageman 18 25% 4 14%

FS D Southward 17 23% 16 57%

CB R McClain 5 7% 14 50%

SS S Baker 19 68%

LB N Stupar 19 68%

P M Bosher 13 46%

LB P Shembo 12 43%

LS J Harris 9 32%

DE S Maponga 9 32%

G J Stone 8 29%

PK M Bryant 3 11%

NEXT UP: The Falcons (2-4) play the Baltimore Ravens (4-2) at 1 p.m. Sunday at M&T Bank Stadium.

Good that Kroy's snaps decreased... He still plays too much though. And we'll see if that lasts past this week

And lol Antone's snaps increasing 5%

I'd thought about it before, but I'm really starting to wonder if our RBBC is making the offense more predictable. Antone had 6 touches on 11 snaps and Freeman had 4 touches on 10 snaps. When they were in the game, there was a very good chance they were getting the ball. And then you have Quizz, who had 1 touch on 17 snaps, so it was almost certain they were passing when he was in the game.

I'd thought about it before, but I'm really starting to wonder if our RBBC is making the offense more predictable. Antone had 6 touches on 11 snaps and Freeman had 4 touches on 10 snaps. When they were in the game, there was a very good chance they were getting the ball. And then you have Quizz, who had 1 touch on 17 snaps, so it was almost certain they were passing when he was in the game.

I came to the same conclusion. But I think it's not so much the RBBC, it's DK not calling enough running plays

all the substitutions and snap counts are over thinking the room in my opinion. pass rushers can't get into a rhythm when they are on for one play and off for 3 plays. if they're not in good enough shape to play a full game than that's on them as players and the coaching staff as coaches. if the coaches think they're smart by limiting snap counts to preserve injury and fresh legs, then i don't think the players can find a role in those limited number of snaps.

pass rushing takes trial and error on the front 7's part. you have to see what failed and what worked in order to be effective on the next down. that doesn't come from watching on the sidelines or looking at tape. it comes from taking snaps and being successful or failing and then doing it again on the next snap.

put your best front 7 out there and leave them there.

there are many things that just make me go WTF about this team and coaching staff. but to name Shembo the starter, then NOT play him one snap from scrimmage because all of a sudden they KNOW he would be mis-matched against CHI personnel is about as STUPID of all the things i've witnessed as a Falcon's fan of more than 20 yrs!!! Especially since Bartu was getting killed in his assignments!!! i KNOW now that coaching staff really doesn't know WTH to do!! PATHETIC!!!!

Edited by sanfranfalcon

all the substitutions and snap counts are over thinking the room in my opinion. pass rushers can't get into a rhythm when they are on for one play and off for 3 plays. if they're not in good enough shape to play a full game than that's on them as players and the coaching staff as coaches. if the coaches think they're smart by limiting snap counts to preserve injury and fresh legs, then i don't think the players can find a role in those limited number of snaps.

pass rushing takes trial and error on the front 7's part. you have to see what failed and what worked in order to be effective on the next down. that doesn't come from watching on the sidelines or looking at tape. it comes from taking snaps and being successful or failing and then doing it again on the next snap.

put your best front 7 out there and leave them there.

I think theres merit to this but its just not how most defenses do things. Just as an example, the Seahawks front 7 snap count leader last year played something like 70% of snaps. Teams are switching personnel more and more based on situation.

By and large our "starters" have been getting the majority of the snaps. The problem is our "starters" arent our best 7.

Makes me think he missed a meeting or something to get in the dog house. Doesn't make sense otherwise.

I said this in other threads, but vaughn mcclure tweeted before the game that he had been having knee issues all week

Just tweeted:

@vxmcclure23: Smith said Shembo not starting had to do with his injury.

Edited by TrapAHolic

it was so clear to see Mass get in the groove after playing more than 1 snap in a row.He was pumped and getting pressure...and then we put in kroy and osi...worst coaching ever, we all begged for the 3-4 and its a horrible mess. PLEASE GO BACK TO 4-3. MASS-BABS-SOL-TJAX and goodman as "honourable" starter, split his reps with babs and tjax.is it rly that complicated?? dare I say we looked better with BVG :o (Trying not to throw up after saying that)