*** Official All Your Fire Smittiot Posts Thread ***

Bawse

COACHING CHANGE  

177 members have voted

1. 1. COULD A COACHING CHANGE TURN THIS YEARS SEASON AROUND?

• Yes: Tice could do it
    • Yes: Robiskie could do it
    • Yes: Koetter could do it
    • Yes: Nolan could do it
    • No, we are done for no matter who is coaching

Here are some stats of the Jaguars defense from 2003-2007 when Mike Smith was DC.

2003 - 6th Ranked Defense. 18th Ranked Pass Defense. 2nd Ranked Run Defense.

2004 - 11th Ranked Defense. 16th Ranked Pass Defense. 11th Ranked Run Defense.

2005 - 6th Ranked Defense. 7th Ranked Pass Defense. 14th Ranked Run Defense.

2006 - 2nd Ranked Defense. 10th Ranked Pass Defense. 4th Ranked Run Defense.

2007 - 12th Ranked Defense. 14th Ranked Pass Defense. 11th Ranked Run Defense.

I don't use yardage rankings because they're often a misrepresentation of how good a defense is. Here are the Jax defenses Smith led by DVOA (which accounts for SoS and game situation.

2003 9th overall (17th against pass, 4th against rush) 29th sack %

2004 10th overall (12th against pass, 11th against rush) 8th sack %

2005 7th overall (7th against pass, 13th against rush) 1st in sack %

2006 3rd overall (2nd against pass, 8th against rush) 13th in sack %

2007 15th overall (10th against pass, 25th against rush) 11th in sack %

It's also worth pointing out that he was coordinating under Jack Del Rio. Jacksonville dipped notable after Smith left but it was sort of on its way in 2007 too.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the Falcons organization doesn't take this board too seriously but since it technically is an "official" Falcons message board I think it's pretty funny that that they've neglected that the boards administrators have pinned a topic calling for Smith's head... Lol

The mods have addressed this (several times). Still, it is funny, because a person goes to the official Falcons' website (that I assume they're paying for), checks out the message board there, and the first thing they see is "Fire Mike Smith." As odd as it is, I think it's awesome that the organization isn't trying to silence fan sentiment even if it contributes to unrest around the team. They also know that other fans will voice opposing sentiments. They may also be smart enough to pay attention to what their customers are saying, even if they have no intention of following their customers wishes. It's Blank's team he can do what he wants, and it's the fans' money, they can do what they want.

Here's to free markets, and here's to free speech. 'Murica!

Thomas and Smitty, thanks for rescuing this team from chaos, installing discipline and process, winning a ton of games, and getting us so close to the Super Bowl. You gave this city and all Falcons fans something to be proud of. It was a great run, but it ended January 20, 2013 on 4th and 4.

Thomas's personnel gambles didn't pay off. All weapons, no armor. As a result, the coaching staff's weaknesses are no longer masked, but are glaring.

There's a significant risk that we end up back in the wilderness once Smith is fired. Ask the Bucs what can happen when you fire a good coach that can't quite get it done anymore. There's no promise that you go from Dungy to Gruden, instead of going from Gruden to a string of losers. Firing Smith could lead to worse performance. But I think we have to risk it.

From a business standpoint, Mr. Blank is not going to Deal with Losing with a New Stadium being built...

Imagine that materials the Stadium is being built with is coming from Home Depot (which he profits), which is not being paid for out of his own pockets (which he profits).

The "Final Chapter" is getting butts in the seats and "advertising his stadium" which means he needs a WINNING team/record (profits - keep investors/shareholders happy)

He could be diversifying towards "Soccer - Futbol"...possible Chess Move by having a game in London

GOOOOOAAAAALLLLL

I would actually like him to resign. After the loss Sunday would be a good time.

"I would like to thank the Atlanta Falcons for the last 7 years. It's been the time of my life. I tip my hat to Arthur Blank, Thomas Dimitroff and the fans for giving me a chance. I didn't execute the proper techniques to coaching a football team and I therefore quit as head coach of the Falcons. I will now take my sunglasses and hat back to Jacksonville."

Clay Matthews was ranked below Peria Jerry in many, if not most of the pre-draft rankings. In fact Matthews was pretty much only the 5th best at his position behind Curry, Maualuga, Laurinaitis and Cushing. We had a need for defensive tackle and BJ Raji was drafted early.

At the time, it wasn't nearly as terrible as people are making out to be now. That draft like ALL DRAFTS is littered with picks that didn't overly pan out. At least the Falcons got some production out of Jerry which is unlike what the Seahawks got out of #2 overall pick Aaron Curry.

Guest facelessman07

Clay Matthews was ranked below Peria Jerry in many, if not most of the pre-draft rankings. In fact Matthews was pretty much only the 5th best at his position behind Curry, Maualuga, Laurinaitis and Cushing. We had a need for defensive tackle and BJ Raji was drafted early.

At the time, it wasn't nearly as terrible as people are making out to be now. That draft like ALL DRAFTS is littered with picks that didn't overly pan out. At least the Falcons got some production out of Jerry which is unlike what the Seahawks got out of #2 overall pick Aaron Curry.

We got production out of Jelly boy?

Yeah lol. Mark Sanchez, Tyson Jackson, Aaron Curry, Jason Smith, Heyward-Bey, Knowshon Moreno, Aaron Maybin, Malcolm Jenkins, Larry English, Josh Freeman, Robert Ayers, Brandon Pettigrew and Michael Oher were all drafted before Jerry.

The 2009 draft had one of the weakest classes ever.