8-8 Or 7-9 Could Win The Division

The Falcons do not look like an 11 win team right now but they may not need to be to go to the payoffs. The nice thing is, they may not have to pay for early season problems at the seasons end. Usually, when it takes a team half the season to get it together it is too late, but in this years NFC south the Falcons have a great shot at making the playoffs with a home game. The offensive line seems to have a potential to gel, and we have seen bad defenses in the past play well for a game or two when needed.

With the competition in this years NFC south, it is way to early to write off a team that is only a game back behind what seems to be a worse team that also has a very hard upcoming schedule.

Do not forget the 2010 7-9 Seahawks winning a playoff game or of course 2007 8-8 Giants winning it all.

If you really enjoy football and enjoy rooting for your team to do well as opposed to simply griping about who should be fired or who should have been resigned after 2012, there is still plenty of season to be played.

Edited by ugalang

Agreed. Even the Bucs are playing better than the Falcons, though their record doesn't show it. If Atlanta were playing Tampa this week, the Falcons would lose.

I assume you are selectively, basing this on the last 2 games instead of the last 3? In the last 5 games, we have seen two of the best team offensive displays in recent memory and a second half loss after using a TE as a lineman and a second half loss against a Giants team that was playing very well.

Not that it matters. I am sure we both agree that the season will play out the same not matter what you or I think.

My point was there is still plenty of season to enjoy, so perhaps we should stop complaining and not write off the season when who knows what will happen.

Am I the only one that doesn't care about 7-9 or 8-8 winning the division? I still think we're a six win team but being mediocre and winning the division because everyone else is so bad does nothing for me. I want this team to be contending for SBs and at this point with this regime I'm not going to get excited about .500 teams that have no shot in the playoffs.

I actually want the rest of the division to improve. Sooner this thing is blown up the better as far as I'm concerned.

I assume you are selectively, basing this on the last 2 games instead of the last 3? In the last 5 games, we have seen two of the best team offensive displays in recent memory and a second half loss after using a TE as a lineman and a second half loss against a Giants team that was playing very well.

Not that it matters. I am sure we both agree that the season will play out the same not matter what you or I think.

My point was there is still plenty of season to enjoy, so perhaps we should stop complaining and not write off the season when who knows what will happen.

Your assumption is correct. The last 2 games, not the last 3.

It's hard to enjoy watching my team struggle and then crumble into a dispiriting loss week after week. I can't enjoy watching my team lose because its GM was too busy chasing long-shot rainbows rather than solid highly-rated athletes. I can't enjoy watching my team lose because the coaches aren't using our players to the best of their talent and ability and are keeping better players on the bench in favor of inferior players. I can't enjoy watching my team lose because no one in the FO or the coaching staff can come up with any player or scheme to generate a legit, consistent pass rush. I can't enjoy watching my team lose because the defense is so passive, so poorly coached, so mentally weak, so accustomed to giving ground that it can't get off the field on third down, can't stop the run, can't stop the pass, can't stop the 1-yard TD run to cough up the lead.

If you can enjoy what you're seeing this season, then I really have to question just how deep your feelings go for this football team. For those of us who really do care, watching these games is about as fun as sitting bedside of a beloved friend or family member who is gravely ill. You want to do something to help them, but you can only sit and watch. As one who obviously really doesn't have that level of emotional commitment, please show some understanding and back off of your condescending attitude toward those of us do care enough to express some concerns with how things are going. Because it's really not cool like you and some of your like-minded posters seem to think it is, dude.

To win the division, we need to win division games. We are 2-0 in that department now, so I haven't given up hope yet.

If this was college football, that would mean a lot more. They can go 6-0 within the division and still miss the playoffs. Remember when the Raiders went undefeated in their division a few years back

Can't really compare a loss to that of a family member gravely ill...

I love the Falcons but it's only a sport at the end of the day

And yes, yesterday's loss made me sick...

But we had a birthday party afterwards for my 9 year old son

And I NEVER want to see him gravely ill..