Antone Smith Has Earned The Starting Job

momak

He should get most of the carries.

There is no logical sense to give Steven Jackson the bulk of the carries.

Steven Jackson

50 carries 201

4 yards a carry

1TD

4 receptions 20 yards 0 TDs

54 touches 221 yards 1TD 4.1 yard average

Antone Smith

10 carries 119 yards

11.9 yard a carry

2 TDs

3 receptions 74 yards 1 TD

13 touches 193 yards 3TDs 14.8 yard average

Give Antone Smith around 15 carries a game please!

He definitely deserves the snaps Freeman got at the end of the game. In fact I saw so little of Quizz at the end I was wondering if he was injured.

One thing about having Smith in the backfield. It will force the defense to adjust. You simply have to account for speed like that. They'll have to keep a LB or S in for dump offs, which could help open up another receiver.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, even if he is deficient in other phases of the game, put him out there until it burns us

True, I mean Jackson has the deficiency of running with a football tucked under his arm yet he starts. What's the harm of someone who isn't a great blocker? 50 yard TD's 25% of the time is a solid trade off imo.

Antone's a weapon much like Darren Sproles or even Danny Woodhead. He's not an every down back, but you can utilize him as a slot receiver and coming out of the backfield. It's obvious Jackson doesn't have anymore so why not give Devonta a shot as the #1.

How the **** would you know? He's given max 6 touches a game and is still more productive than all other RBs combined.

Some of these comments are comical. Either you know the Falcons for the last couple of years.....or you're just joining in. We don't know how to utilize our talent efficiently. Antone Smith is NOT a starting running back in the NFL. He's a solid spell back though. And I'm tired of the pass blocking argument. I got a good shot of Stephen Jackson getting blown up 3 times on blitzes sent tonight. So let that die. Please.

Antone is that factor where he gets that first block or makes that first person miss, and then it's a wrap. He DOVE for a 3 and 1 at mid field. DOVE! Then goes down and makes the tackle on the kick off team after scoring a TD. You don't have to scheme anymore than 4-7 plays for him. But he needs to be on the field. When he scored that TD, him and Julio were on the same side with Julio in the slot. Julio was actually open. Matt just can't throw a seam for his money. But it's like Section 231 says, "WE WANT SMITH! WE WANT SMITH!"

Antone's a weapon much like Darren Sproles or even Danny Woodhead. He's not an every down back, but you can utilize him as a slot receiver and coming out of the backfield. It's obvious Jackson doesn't have anymore so why not give Devonta a shot as the #1.

Sorry, you won't get any "wow what are you seeing that we aren't" responses like you think you will. From what YOU have seen and EVERYONE ELSE HAS anytime he's on the field he makes plays. Stop making weak excuses.

Some of these comments are comical. Either you know the Falcons for the last couple of years.....or you're just joining in. We don't know how to utilize our talent efficiently. Antone Smith is NOT a starting running back in the NFL. He's a solid spell back though. And I'm tired of the pass blocking argument. I got a good shot of Stephen Jackson getting blown up 3 times on blitzes sent tonight. So let that die. Please.

Antone is that factor where he gets that first block or makes that first person miss, and then it's a wrap. He DOVE for a 3 and 1 at mid field. DOVE! Then goes down and makes the tackle on the kick off team after scoring a TD. You don't have to scheme anymore than 4-7 plays for him. But he needs to be on the field. When he scored that TD, him and Julio were on the same side with Julio in the slot. Julio was actually open. Matt just can't throw a seam for his money. But it's like Section 231 says, "WE WANT SMITH! WE WANT SMITH!"

Has Antone ever been given starter touches? No? Ok.

How the **** would you know? He's given max 6 touches a game and is still more productive than all other RBs combined.

Exactly i wonder that too. Antone Smith just makes big plays again and again when ever he is in the game and yet then there is this group that have 10 excuses of why he couldn't handle more carries.

People don't realize that Smith is also a threat on the field when he isn't getting the ball. Defenses have to account for him which opens up everything else. Now a lot people assume that when he does get rare back to back touches for no gain or loss, that he can't handle a load. It's easy to stop when defenses know that he's getting the ball whenever he's on the field. (credit Smitty Simpleton)