Calling Timeouts Before The Half

I keep seeing people questioning this move by Smith and think it was a time management issue. MN got the ball at their 15 yards line. MN had the lead and with a rookie QB so you figured they would be conservative, which they were until the defense failed to stop them on 3 run plays. Smith was being aggressive and tried to get another possession for his offense. It didn't work out, but what's so hard to understand about that? For years I have read posters after posters going on and on about Smittyball, and when Smith shows you he is not conservative you guys can't seem to grasp the logic. There were a lot of things to blame Smith for the lost yesterday, but him being aggressive there should not be one of them. I mean how is he going to know that his defense would let a rookie QB drive 80+ yards in 1:20 sec, especially when MN was being conservative with their initial playcalling?

I keep seeing people questioning this move by Smith and think it was a time management issue. MN got the ball at their 15 yards line. MN had the lead and with a rookie QB so you figured they would be conservative, which they were until the defense failed to stop them on 3 run plays. Smith was being aggressive and tried to get another possession for his offense. It didn't work out, but what's so hard to understand about that? For years I have read posters after posters going on and on about Smittyball, and when Smith shows you he is not conservative you guys can't seem to grasp the logic. There were a lot of things to blame Smith for the lost yesterday, but him being aggressive there should not be one of them. I mean how is he going to know that his defense would let a rookie QB drive 80+ yards in 1:20 sec, especially when MN was being conservative with their initial playcalling?

The hard thing to explain is this:

1) we had not stopped them yet all game, why do we think we will now?

2) even if you accept the first timeout as good strategy, we should not have called a timeout once they got it to 3rd and 1. Because if they get the first down they will suddenly have good field position and plenty of time left, and then decide to go for points. Which is exactly what they did.

lol, your logic makes sense if we had been playing HS level defense.

because you let the clock run on first down 45 seconds leaving 45 seconds or so thus rendering the team with bad field position in a position to run out clock and be thankful. Vanilla run up the gut, first timeout, now they want to just punt the thing and run to make us use a second timeout. Hester punt return due to them either A) outkicking coverage hoping to knock us out of fg range or B) Screw up kicking OB and kick short. Then we have 37 seconds at midfield and one timeout.

INSTEAD smith USES THE TIMOUTS ALLOWING THE TEAM TO TRY TO GET A FIRST DOWN ON OUR WATCH THEN TIME MANAGE THEMSELVES INTO MORE POINTS DEFLATING US MORALLY AND MOMENTUM WISE BEFORE THE HALF IN A HUGE ROAD GAME

THERES A SUTTLE DIFFERNECE HERE IN STRATEGY ONE IS ROOKIE THE OTHER IS SAVVY

THANKS

By stopping it on first down they said we have time to not only devise a plan on the next two downs vs calling on the fly but they can think it through on our dime as well.

I as coach let the first run wind the clock, then use timeouts on 2nd and 3rd get good field position with a timeout so we can use the middle of hte field as well.

THANKS

SMITTIOTS

By stopping it on first down they said we have time to not only devise a plan on the next two downs vs calling on the fly but they can think it through on our dime as well.

I as coach let the first run wind the clock, then use timeouts on 2nd and 3rd get good field position with a timeout so we can use the middle of hte field as well.

THANKS

SMITTIOTS

So you guys are saying we shouldn't expect this defense to ever grow some balls and make a 3rd and 1 stop? Then why are you guys so upset at how they played? You can't be upset at something that you have such low expectation. It's like being upset with your kid because he couldn't graduated from college when you didn't think he could have finished high school to begin with.